Embedding timecodes?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

James Bonnett

Embedding timecodes?

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey folks,
Sorry if this isn't quite the appropriate place, but my question isn't platform-specific, so I thought the 'off-topic' forum might be best. Some preliminary info: I'm using a DeckLink Duo. I've written an application to read an image stream from disk and output it as video over the SDI interface, and another application which receives that frame using the Duo card's other SDI interface, unpacks it and shows it to the screen. I've been using the 720p60 video format, which I manually pack/unpack into the 10BitYUV pixel format shown in the SDK. Everything is working well so far except for the ancillary data... I've been unable to properly embed timecodes. My current program creates a frame, called nextFrame, like so:
Code: Select all
dlOutput->CreateVideoFrame(frameWidth,frameHeight,bytesPerRow,bmdFormat10BitYUV,bmdVideoOutputVITC,&nextFrame);

It then packs the buffer with the image data. After that it creates an ancillary object and attaches it as well, (checking for HRESULT == S_OK all the way, of course). I then manually define the 'hours', 'minutes', 'seconds', and 'frames' components of the time code and set it using:
nextFrame->SetTimecodeFromComponents(bmdTimecodeVITC,hours,minutes,seconds,frames,bmdTimecodeFlagDefault
This also returns S_OK, and I can read it back with
nextFrame->GetTimecode(bmdTimecodeVITC,&timecode);
timecode->GetComponents(...);
to confirm that the values are set. However, when the frame is received by the capture interface it shows no timecodes of any formats (each inputFrame->GetTimecode(...) returns S_FALSE). I also have an SDI monitor, which shows the image stream nicely, but displays an empty timecode ( --:--:--:-- ). The monitor explicitly supports LTC, VITC1, and VITC2...I've tried all 3. I've also tried all 7 of the enumerated timecode formats with the monitor and the SDI input card to no avail (and those with all possible combinations of BMDVideoOutputFlags).

Anybody out there that's done something like this before? Thanks in advance to anybody reading this.

Christine Peterson

Re: Embedding timecodes?

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Blackmagic Decklink SDI, DUO and Quad capture time code but currently are unable to output RP188 timecode out. Please use this form to submit feature requests.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

James Bonnett

Re: Embedding timecodes?

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Are the cards able to output SMPTE timecodes? The format types I see enumerated are RP188VITC1, RP188VITC2, RP188LTC, RP188Any, VITC, VITCField2,and Serial. Are just the RP188 timecodes unsupported, or are all of these timecode formats unsupported?

Return to Off-Topic