BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ellory Yu

BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:56 pm

The recent upgrade of the BMCUSER website is awful. Not only it keeps on crashing, the UI is so darn ugly and unusable. Forums need to be snappy and easy to use. It's too bad there is no option to go back to the old UI. I can't even send a message to the admin. Everything I try to do anything on it, or try to send a message to the admin, I get an error message and the whole site just hangs. The color and font choices makes the text hard to read - black background with dark grey font?
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 64Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 480Gb RAID 0 SSD Cache Drive / 12Tb 7200rpm HDD Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 16.1.1.005

gfagien

Re: BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I am with you, I do not understand why they switched its horrible now
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor

Jim Giberti

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 am

Yes, it also seems that the site is dead. Hasn't been a single post in quite a while. Death by ugly design?

Brad Hurley

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:Yes, it also seems that the site is dead. Hasn't been a single post in quite a while. Death by ugly design?

I think it's more death by inability to post. I only just got my account approved last week after an eight-month wait, but whenever I try to post a reply or PM the site freezes and I can't even view the site for a couple of hours.

Not sure if the moderators/owners even know there's a problem because the only way to reach them is by PM and it seems impossible to send a PM.

The other thing I've noticed is that navigating past the first page of a multi-page thread crashes the site as well. I haven't experimented with other browsers; it definitely is flaky in Firefox. I don't actually mind the design, it's not so wildly different from the previous one, but the platform seems super-unstable.
Resolve 16.1, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

gfagien

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 pm

they need to revert back to the same design they've been using since launch
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 9:52 am

Ellory Yu wrote:The recent upgrade of the BMCUSER website is awful. Not only it keeps on crashing, the UI is so darn ugly and unusable. Forums need to be snappy and easy to use. It's too bad there is no option to go back to the old UI. I can't even send a message to the admin. Everything I try to do anything on it, or try to send a message to the admin, I get an error message and the whole site just hangs. The color and font choices makes the text hard to read - black background with dark grey font?

Sounds like the people who run it are to blame, again. They should learn some respect.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Here's my experience with the new site.

Unable to redirect to the correct login URL.

This usually means that the login URL is incorrectly configured for this site. Please contact the administrator for further help.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 7:16 am

You can't even PM the admin. I've tried so many times but the edit box freezes, let alone trying to read what you typed in that difficult to see font style and color. I gave up going there. BMCUSER is going to be a dead forum because who runs it has made a bad decision to change the interface or whatever. If only they just bring back the old forum. That's to be seen and might be a little late for it to be resurrect.
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 64Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 480Gb RAID 0 SSD Cache Drive / 12Tb 7200rpm HDD Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 16.1.1.005

Wayne Steven

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Is the monkey still running it?
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:08 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Is the monkey still running it?

Apparently so.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 am

Yeah, my experience has been the same. On my iPad the site is loading almost forever and then I can't login, on my PC it doesn't show the layout until I switch of ublock origin and even then nothing works expect logging in.

Seems that is the end until the admin will finally realize there might be a problem.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to Off-Topic