Is there an Apple in my Blackmagic?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Rod Lopez

Is there an Apple in my Blackmagic?

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm

I recently purchased a couple of BMCC and I have to say, the camera is amazing, far better than anything within its price range (and then some). When you factor in that you get Davinci for free, the camera is practically less than a grand. Yes, that is Fantastic! However, I can't help to notice the Apple in my Blackmagic. Of course, I'm referring to Apple as in iPhone, Ipad, iPod. You know the Apple drill. Release a product with obvious flaws only to release an upgrade a few months down the road. We all have felt for this Apple. And now that I've been working with the BMCC for a while, I must say, there's def an Apple in this Magic. I mean, for starters, the LCD reflection is just plain ridiculous. You don't think they could've made a better LCD? one that is actually usable when shooting in day light. And how about the SSD cars? can't delete files in the camera? You can't tell how much space is left on the card? I'm LOLing as I type this. And how about other annoying little quirks like no 60 FPS, that tinny sensor that makes most of the lenses in your arsenal useless, the 1/4 audio inputs, Iris control. I mean, if it was a matter of keeping the camera below all the competitors's prices, I tell you what, I'd pay an extra grand or two if all these things were fixed. I think most people would. Even at 4 grand, the camera is still an amazing deal. I know it's not the technology. The technology to fix all these items is available and has been available for years. So it can only be the good 'ol Apple plot. I mean, just like Apple. Blackmagic already started rolling out their versions of the iPod touch, the shuffle, the mini, you know what I mean. Now we got the Pocket Camera and the 4K camera versions. I mean, is it me or is it a conspiracy? Is there an Apple in Blackmagic???
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Max Normandin

Re: Is there an Apple in my Blackmagic?

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

same theory applies to just about everything.

Let's say the BMCC is a car... let's say it's a BMW. Do you think BMW would put ALL their best ideas into one model? They make a great first car, then the next year they release a second car with added features, and then the next year they release yet ANOTHER model with some more features. It goes on and on and on.

There's no such thing as the perfect camera, but let's say a company were to come up with one, my bet is they would be bankrupt in a matter of years.

Cause once you create a perfect product, then what else are you gonna sell??

Rod Lopez

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Max Normandin wrote:same theory applies to just about everything.

Let's say the BMCC is a car... let's say it's a BMW. Do you think BMW would put ALL their best ideas into one model? They make a great first car, then the next year they release a second car with added features, and then the next year they release yet ANOTHER model with some more features. It goes on and on and on.

There's no such thing as the perfect camera, but let's say a company were to come up with one, my bet is they would be bankrupt in a matter of years.

Cause once you create a perfect product, then what else are you gonna sell??

You're point is well taken, Max. I supposed this is the way capital society works. It would be nice tho if they would give us everything they have available, technologically speaking, and only upgrade when they come up with a breakthrough that adds features that they weren't able to give us before. That would be awesome!
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Moved to off-topic to streamline the Cinematography forum page.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Max Normandin

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 11:08 pm

You can move it anywhere you want, really. Doesn't make a difference.

Yes man, it would be nice if they offered everything they have in the first place. Sadly, that's just not the way it works.

You mention the reflective screen monitor. Here's a pretty simple solution for you. Tried it and it works 99%.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _ipad.html

Rod Lopez

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Thank you, Mr. Warden for moving the post. I take it you work for Blackmagic. Surely, you don't want the bad publicity. Anyway, I've made my point. Let me go look at some more bmcc
test shoots on Vimeo. I love doing that.
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Return to Off-Topic