Rumoured 12.9" iPad may support UHD resolution

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

rick.lang

Rumoured 12.9" iPad may support UHD resolution

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

For many months there have been conflicting statements made by supply analysts who either claim or dispute that Apple is planning to offer a 12.9" screen on a future iPad, perhaps in 2014. Today Appleinsider has an article which adds something very sweet to the rumour mill. You probably know the current Retina 9.7 " iPad Air supports a screen 2048x1536 pixels with a density of only 264 ppi. And you Likely know the new Retina 7.9" iPad mini supports the same resolution on a smaller screen with a pixel density of 326 ppi. Now it hasn't been easy to pack that density into a screen as larger as the iPad mini, but this new rumour is that the 12.9" iPad will support Ultra High Definition (UHD) and if my calculations are correct, it can do that if the pixel density is 326 ppi! Very difficult today but the recent and evolving technology in creating screens this size is not infeasible to be applied to an iPad in a low wattage implementation.

Such an iPad UHD device with the right colour gamut would be an excellent companion to the BMPC4K obviously for viewing 4K video but perhaps even as a creative tool given Apple and/or BMD wanted to make an iPad companion app for FCP X or DaVinci Resolve respectively. It would be easiest to just use the iPad screen to display a panel in the application on the iPad, but it could be much more in post or production monitoring.

I'm glad I just bought the iPad Air but would certainly want to add an UHD iPad if and when it exists.
Rick Lang

Return to Off-Topic