Complimentary camera to the BMCC

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Minor Detour

Complimentary camera to the BMCC

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello,

First I'm not asking anybody to make a decision for me because I know we'll end up having to do it for ourselves eventually but we've been thinking about a Camera B option.

First thoughts were in case we line up a shoot and have a camera fail. But then secondly, we've been also thinking that maybe we try and find a camera that also let's us compliment the BMCC but has other strengths. Such as better built in amp and xlr mic inputs, built in ND filters as well being able to shoot slow motion.

We primarily shoot short films and looking to shoot industrials, maybe documentaries as well.

Initially, we thought about the 4k, but it's not clear when this will be out and other than 4k, from the specs I don't see anything for us that would warrant it over the 2.5k price wise.

Then I started looking at the Red line. We wouldn't have the budget for a Dragon with all the bells and whistles but I have been looking around for packages people are trying to unload. My biggest concern with Red is potential reliability issues. If we saved up to purchase a $15 to 20k used package, we definitely wouldn't want something that had to be serviced all the time.

Currently most what I've looked at are Red One MX's, a few used Epic's. Mainly have packages have been in the $6,000 to $19,000 price range.

Lately I've been looking at the Sony F700. I like that it seems more conducive to industrials, does have slow mo, built in mic with xlr inputs and a pre-amp so we can do industrial without an external audio recorder. I like the concept built in ND filter.

However, I don't like the fact you have to spend $5,500 just to record Raw. Some claim Sony has a look about it which personally I don't see or if I do it doesn't bother me. However, I don't want equipment where somebody would never hire us because of the result of the device.

Also, there aren't as many good deals on used F700's out there that I've seen as there is for the Red's.

Would be interested in any experiences, good or bad anybody has with the above cameras or any recommendations to others to add to the search list.

We also have EF lenses and some M42 vintage lens and we'd prefer something we can utilize our existing lens without buying new glass.

Thanks.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."
- Henry Ford

http://minordetour.com

Return to Off-Topic