Travelling Internationally With Large Amounts Of Equipment

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

SamuelNorwood

Travelling Internationally With Large Amounts Of Equipment

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 12:06 am

Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience travelling to the US with large amounts of equipment?

I've got a few live broadcasts scheduled during December in Hawaii and working out what visa to travel on is next to impossible. I've travelled to the US a few times on a visitor visa with camera gear but this time I'll have a big Gator Rack, Pelican case and a sports bag that will be full of equipment with a value around $50k+ which I'm sure is going to get me in some trouble if I try to enter on a visitor visa.

My best guess is I get a media visa (I work for a media company) and possibly a carnet but I'm wondering if I get a media visa do I need a carnet?

Oh, and did I mention my ticket is booked for 7 days time?

Sprocket Scientist

Re: Travelling Internationally With Large Amounts Of Equipme

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 1:46 am

Which country are you travelling from?

SamuelNorwood

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:04 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:Which country are you travelling from?
Australia. Sorry I should've mentioned that.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 6:00 am

I'm in Australia too. I spoke briefly with Customs a few weeks ago and the impression I got from them is that you really need to get your documents right in terms of the correct visa at your destination, especially if you're bringing in a stack of pro-equipment. It's going to look pretty obvious you're not going to spend your holiday lying on a beach sipping Long Island Ice Tea with a little umbrella in your drink. It sounds about right and I suppose Customs would be breaching their duties if they were to tell me otherwise.

The other thing is that you need to complete the form below and register the serial number of every single piece of equipment you bring overseas because if you don't, Customs might decide to charge you GST when you bring it all back into Australia. Even if your gear looks used, there's nothing to stop them from accusing you of buying the gear from overseas and therefore owing the Australian government GST and other duties when you bring them back because your gear is going to look like it's over the $1000 GST import threshold.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... aggage.pdf

I would call Customs and ask them if there's anything else you need to do before leaving on your trip.

SamuelNorwood

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 am

Awesome thanks for your help @Sprocket Scientist. I didn't even really consider the Australian side being a problem until now so I best fill that form out and give Customs a call.

Thanks, again!

Radman

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Just make sure you do the right thing.
Don't get stuck in the middle having to justify things. Ten times more difficult and costly.
Get customs clearance documents plus permit for all aspects plus working permits.
If you get caught not worth it.
If you papers are right it's a breeze not a sneeze!.
If you have nothing to hide phone them they are helpful.
Radman.

Return to Off-Topic