Best SSDs for the ATEM Mini Pro ISO

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

accucomm

Best SSDs for the ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi:

Back in April of 2021 I purchased and ATEM Mini Pro ISO from B&H and a 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD. After 8 months the SSD stopped working. After several days I finally obtained an RMA number from Sandisk and sent the SSD for replacement. I know for a fact that the SSD arrived at Sandisk because the USPS tracking number says that it was delivered.

Well, 6 weeks have gone by and after a looooooong string of attempts to contact Sandisk (email, snail mail, certified mail and contact forms) I still haven't heard back from Sandisk. It's like the fell off the face of the Earth. Here's a short video where I discuss the problem in detail:

Can you recommend an SSD (other than Sandisk) that will work well with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO. I've heard that people have had issues with the Samsung T5's (they don't seem to be as fast as they advertise). Can someone help? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

accucomm

Re: Best SSDs for the ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 12:06 am

Hmmm. Black Magic's silence is very revealing. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

rNeil H

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 12:11 am

The T5's are fine, among many other users I've run 2 of them without issues.

It's the newer T7's that are not as fast as they need to be. The T7 architecture has a fast but small writing cache. So for the first bit of data it's very fast. But as soon as the cache is exceeded you get to the slower *sustained* writing speed.

The T5's just write. But I'm not sure any new ones are still available.

The Wise SSDs are even faster than the T5's.

Neil

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MrRenaissance

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 7:05 pm

Is there any updated info for 2023 that someone can share?

I notice the T7 has listed read/write speeds of 1050/1000 Mb/S and the also-suggested Wise Advanced only has 550/520 R/W. How or why would the Wise keep up, or are the T7 that inflated?

Have the SanDisk Extremes improved any? What about the SanDisk Professional Thunderbolt with a touted 3000/2500 R/W?

I ask b/c of our ATEM Mini Pro is crashing every week while streaming. The T7 is newer, but worked fine for 2-3 weeks prior, replacing a T5 that was heating and crashing. The T7 stays nice and cool now. I've done drivers, heat mitigation and I'll be looking into cache next; but this article has me questioning the newer T7 (of course too late for a return, but I'll live with it, heh). Any help or direction to discussions appreciated (I've already read the entire "ATEM Mini Pro drops On-air Mode" string).

Thanks guys and gals.

dondidnod

PostThu Aug 10, 2023 8:55 pm

Problems continue to persist on SanDisk Extreme SSDs:

"If there were so many issues with Extreme Pro drives, why did SanDisk continue to sell them and mark them down to push even more potentially faulty drives out into the world? Clearing inventory is one thing, but if a company has reason to believe that the stock it is peddling is faulty, that reeks of malfeasance. That might not be what happened.

…Yes, Western Digital released a firmware update to fix data loss issues.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/firmwareupdate

However, the company describes the fix as addressing instances of drives unexpectedly disconnecting from a computer. That is a far cry from data loss and seems like a half-measure, at best. Given that Pavic’s replacement drive following the firmware update failed, “half” might be generous.
Lost data can occasionally be recovered, but only sometimes, and not without time, effort, and cost.

Comments

(...my first 4TB drive from early 2022 has been a rock)

…you can double check serial numbers for ones not affected by the current failures, which started in drives manufactured later in 2022. I did, and mine were listed as good (no firmware update needed, according to SanDisk). …Ars Technica cited certain date ranges for the drives that they had that failed."

SanDisk Portable SSDs Are Failing So Frequently, We Can No Longer Recommend Them

https://petapixel.com/2023/08/08/sandis ... mend-them/

Return to Off-Topic