Innovate to Elevate: Exploring Unconventional Gear in Filmma

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

lucvrhovnik

Innovate to Elevate: Exploring Unconventional Gear in Filmma

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 6:15 pm

Hey there,

I would like to kick off a conversation about using unconventional products in film production. When I began working in the film industry seven years ago as a runner, I encountered a DIT who had ingeniously set up a complete computer system inside a peli case. It might be standard for most of you, but for me, starting out, it was a mind-blowing moment. I hadn't considered this approach before.

Now, fast-forward to today, where I'm working as a commercial editor and occasionally as a 1st AC, blending both roles for a breath of fresh air. I've been contemplating non-film-related products that have found their way into the industry and perform as well as or even better than the established standards.

Here are a couple of questions to get the conversation rolling:

1. What non-film-related products have you seen effectively used in the film industry, matching or surpassing the industry standards?

2. Has anyone experimented with or come across the use of Raspberry Pi in film production, either on set or in post-production?

I'm excited to hear your thoughts and experiences! Let's dive into this :)

Leon Benzakein

Re: Innovate to Elevate: Exploring Unconventional Gear in Fi

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 2:40 pm

Hi Luc

I like this idea of yours and I hope that it gets support.

Let's dive into this.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Joe Shapiro

Re: Innovate to Elevate: Exploring Unconventional Gear in Fi

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 6:27 pm

Me too
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to Off-Topic