Metabones Speedboster Mounting Problem

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

imagecdr

Metabones Speedboster Mounting Problem

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 3:00 pm

I just purchased the Metabones Speedbooster (Nikon mount) for my BMPCC and I can't attach it. It will seat but not rotate into place, won't turn it at all. No documentation came with it and I've been on their website, nothing.

I contacted (email) Metabones about the problem and this is the reply I received.

Yes! I will send a new button mount to you for replace.
It will be fit.
Thank you!
Alex
Gbi Ltd

Question I have is, what is a button mount?

Thanks

Brian Caldwell

Re: Metabones Speedboster Mounting Problem

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi:
It means they will be sending you a new m4/3 mount machined to fit a bit looser on the camera. Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Brian Caldwell

imagecdr

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks Brian.

Craig Marshall

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on your design for the Speed Booster. I think it was a brilliant exercise in lateral thinking, not to mention optics!

I have a large collection of Zeiss Contax FF primes and the C/Y>NEX Speed Booster model. I am planning to purchase a BMCC 4K camera soon so can you say whether a C/Y>BMCC 4K Speed Booster is in the pipeline? If not, perhaps my unit could be modified at the factory.

PS: In case you missed it, RedSharkNews published my review of the Speed Booster last year.

see: http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/827-this-shouldn-t-be-possible-it-seems-to-break-the-laws-of-physics
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Brian Caldwell

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:Hi Brian,

Congratulations on your design for the Speed Booster. I think it was a brilliant exercise in lateral thinking, not to mention optics!

I have a large collection of Zeiss Contax FF primes and the C/Y>NEX Speed Booster model. I am planning to purchase a BMCC 4K camera soon so can you say whether a C/Y>BMCC 4K Speed Booster is in the pipeline? If not, perhaps my unit could be modified at the factory.

PS: In case you missed it, RedSharkNews published my review of the Speed Booster last year.

see: http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/827-this-shouldn-t-be-possible-it-seems-to-break-the-laws-of-physics

Hi Craig:
Thanks for your kind comments. I can't take credit for coming up with the original Speed Booster product idea - that was done by my friend Wilfried Bittner. I just design the optics.

I've read your review, and enjoyed it - well done!

I'd like to do a Speed Booster for the 4k camera, but the Canon EF lens mount presents a big obstacle because it protrudes too far. What I'd love to see is a native Blackmagic mount that has the lowest possible profile. That would permit development of some very interesting Speed Boosters, and possibly some other accessories as well.

F.K.

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi, do you guys have any plan for an (BMCC) MFT -> ARRI PL adapter?
If not would it be possible to solely purchase the Optical block of an adapter and get some distance informations with it to fit it into a custom made Adapter?

TourDeForce

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 am

Hello Brian,

I've got a BMCC speedbooster and there's play between the speedbooster and the MFT mount. This is now the second BMCC mount I've had with this problem (from the same retailer), and I've also (mistakenly) been sent a BMPCC speedbooster which had the same problem. The lens mount on this second BMCC is very, very tight as well...but that's a different issue, I suppose.

It can't be the mount on my camera as I had a standard MFT Nikon speedbooster on it before the BMCC one was released and it was perfectly snug.

Getting this problem sorted has been really dragged out and the retailer are saying they haven't even heard of it being a problem. What would you say is the best way of getting it sorted?

Cheers,
Jack

Return to Off-Topic