HW question: Should I upgrade to 4070 Ti Super or 7900 XTX?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

ManuelRuiCosta

HW question: Should I upgrade to 4070 Ti Super or 7900 XTX?

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 3:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but here it goes:

My current specs are:

Ryzen 3900X
2070 Super
32 Gb 3200 Mhz CL14 RAM
PSU Corsair 850 RM850i
MBO Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

I was for a while contemplating a brand new PC but decided I should upgrade. Can't decide between 4070 Ti Super and 7900 XTX (100€ difference in my country). I'm primarily a video editor working on 1080p timelines, but do some 4K stuff, along with work on Color and Fusion pages.

I'm leaning towards the 7900 XTX because of more VRAM, and in theory, it's a next-tier card, but don't know if I'm missing anything not having a Nvidia card.

And would I benefit significantly from buying 5950X to replace my 3900X?

landyvlad

Re: HW question: Should I upgrade to 4070 Ti Super or 7900 X

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am

I see you didn't get an answer and perhaps I'm too late but... what exactly are you trying to achieve?

This is my take YMMV.

You have a good system there.

For 1080p editing, a 2070 Super will be doing the job just fine.

Don't get caught up in the marketing 'this generation is better than the last one' stuff - it's not entirely true - if you are comparing the same 'numerical' cards a 3070 will be 'better' than a 2070 - but not ALL 3-series cards are better than 2-series cards if that makes sense.

For a given price point with roughly equivalent cards the thing to focus on would be VRAM. More being better, obviously.

I believe your card will have 8GB of VRAM so if upgrading look for one with 12GB or more of VRAM.

Be careful comparing card benchmarks unless you know what they are actually testing. Most of the card data out there is focused on gamers and some of those will pay huge premiums for a few extra fps in game.

The main areas in which you will see benefits in upgrading a GPU for Resolve are in shorter render times and smooth functioning of neural engine effects like the magic mask tool - for example.

AMD cards are fine for Resolve, so if you can get the best value there - don't get hung up on it not being nVidia.

Obviously cost is always a factor (well for most if us anyway).

I bought a used RTX 3090. It's a good performer, has 24GB of VRAM and will do me for a good few years yet! That's what I recommend for you, too.

As far as the CPU thing - no, not really. Resolve is GPU intensive, spend your money there rather than CPU.

This article will interest you.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... rformance/
Resolve Studio 18.6 | OS Win11 | Gigabyte x570 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 3090 OC 24GB GPU (studio drivers)

If I ask basic questions - in the immortal words of Sissy Spacek, “I may be ignorant but I ain’t stupid!

Return to Off-Topic