BMD PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

hleecarpenter

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I am posting out of mere frustration. I have been a long time BMD user, I own an incredible amount of BMD gear, but I am literally on the verge of selling everything to buy products from a company who makes products that are consistent and do what they say they will, or what any reasonably experience production person would expect. I started using the Atem series when they were released from Echolab, and while I believe that the product line has done a lot for the industry, the lack of complete and robust operation makes it impossible for me to recommend it, sell it to customers, or even desire to use it for my own productions. I'm just curious as to why the following inconsistencies are present-

1. Why in the world would you take away H.264 converted outputs via the USB on the 4K switchers? This has to be the most insane things you've ever done for an upgraded product. I would gladly pay the additional $140 (the cost of the Ultra Studio Mini) for this feature to be added within the switcher frame.
2. Why haven't you not make the USB3 outputs on the 1 & 2 M/E system incompatible with Macs? It's been years and no one in their right mind wants to stream or capture to a Windows machine
3. Why would you not allow ALL Atem switchers the ability to run TGA sequences?

I could go on and one, but the simple fact is this, I have used your products for some for some of the most visible live music and streamed events on the web in the past 3 years, and as of now, unless there are some major changes in the way you treat your customers needs, I'm jumping ship and going with a company who would be glad to offer productive firmware and product updates.

Adam Simmons

Re: BMD PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 am

I'd have to disagree with part of number 2, we have thousands of clients who stream, capture and edit using Windows machines. There's a lot more choice on Windows machines and you can do it for a lot less money
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

tomwehrle

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 3:30 pm

The original poster is hard to understand, they use a lot of double negatives. Regardless, Media Express works in both OS X and Windows, so I'm not sure what they're trying to complain about with that one.

Adam Simmons

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Seems clear to me, they're complaining that it doesn't work on Mac and only on Windows PC and according to them why would anyone want to use a Windows PC.

As to his first point, I assume they removed h264 because people would want support for 4K h264 and I don't know if there's a chip available that can do 4K in realtime, but if there is it's probably very expensive, so rather than leaving a chip in that works for some resolutions and not others and then having to go through the constant complaints from people expecting them to be able to upgrade it through a firmware update they probably just removed it completely. The Ultrastudio mini is not the same as the h264 encoder that was built in.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

videokadr

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Forget the MAC system, it is four times more expensive than a PC with Windows. In Poland, only the rich have a Mac system. BM was created for the poor and suits him best PC for Windows.
8 cameras OBVAN HD/4K, low prices, working EU area, videokadr@wp.pl
Jacek Niewadzi

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

i guess in Poland I would be rich!! :-)

Some of us ONLY use Macs. What's wrong with that? It is our choice. And whats wrong with asking a manufacturer to support us, the Mac people? And that goes out to EVERY manufacturer...not just BM!

It seems to me that BM is starting to listen, a little at least. Their increased presence here is a welcome addition at least. I've said for a long time that there are a lot of great ideas floating around this board, and that BM could really step up their game if they would keep there ears a little closer to the ground...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Firstly everyone gets -10 points for the mac/pc conversation. :)
Both platforms are serious and in widespread use in the video industry. Blackmagic products are traditionally crossplatform so the lack of USB3 capture support under OSX more than a year after the rMBP release is disappointing.

The frustration with the ATEM line (and Blackmagic as a whole) is that BMD clearly sleepwalk into these issues. The original ATEMs had large numbers of HDMI ports, and this was followed by many users being annoyed that they couldn't really make use of these ports as HDMI signal degradation over long cables means the ATEM cannot sync many HDMI sources in realworld situations. Blackmagic's response was first to deny that this was a problem and blame the manufacturers of the source hardware for sources which were intermittent. Then they had a rethink and started to tell people to use HDMI cables of less than 5 meters. Then finally they accepted that HDMI is not a suitable interface for live vision mixing environments and slowly dropped it from their switcher designs. (this happened during the hardware design of the original 2ME, a google image search will still bring up the old image of the original spec which had 4 HDMI inputs even though this was never manufactured)

USB3 was similar, they produced a few products with USB3 (Intensity, ATEMs) but then found that these products only worked on a handful of USB3 chipsets, rather than trying to fix the problem in their own hardware / drivers they simply publish a very small list of "compatible" hardware and then slowly drop the USB3 interface from the products.

This isn't really listening to their users, it is removing features which they have never had the capability to make work correctly. Technically it might not be entirely BMDs fault if the USB3 chipset they choose to use is not widely compatible, but if they are stuck behind the limitations of their hardware choices then users would tend to expect hardware revisions to fix the problems rather than simply removing the functionality.

What's really frustrating is that none of this should be happening in the first place. My initial response when i saw the spec of the ATEM1 was "why has it got so many HDMI inputs? they will not work with long cables that are needed for cameras, and people will expect them to work with blurays and stuff which has HDCP and so cannot work" - Turns out that I was right about these things, and BMD eventually changed their design and radically cut down on HDMI inputs.

USB3 hasn't been a reliable solution on the ATEM (unless you have a "supported" chipset motherboard) and so it hasn't seen widespread use. Dropping USB3 was the right thing to do, but they should've replaced it with Thunderbolt. Instead they just kill the concept of direct capture from the switcher which is a real shame as it was a good idea and would be a USP.

The product development just seems very haphazard - they launch things which cannot ever work, or which don't work properly and then lack the resources to fix them. These problems are not being learnt from as can be seen by the Studio Camera. It's a brilliant concept which i've been asking them to make since they got into the camera game, but it is completely flawed by stupid design decisions (wrong sensor size, complete lack of any suitable lenses, no ability to use the lenses which they show in the product photos even, ergonomically weird in a very restrictive way) Typically BMDs response to these points has been to ignore them or to shift the burden onto 3rd parties ("we make cameras not lenses" - yes that is true, but you've made a camera which is incompatible with every lense that has ever been produced and now you're trying to blame the lens manufacturers!)

I'm not sure that anyone at Blackmagic is really listening to their customers. They are slowly starting to fix long term issues in 5th or 6th generation of products, but often the "fix" is to simply remove features rather than to actually fix anything. In the meantime they continue to heavily market products as solutions when they know that they do not actually work properly. Firmware updates are few and far between and seem to introduce as many new bugs as they fix.

Just for a laugh i'll make some future predictions about current products with issues and we can look back at this thread in a few years to see if i was right or not.

Hyperdeck - hyperdeck SSD issue will be fixed, they will do this by releasing a "hyperdeck 3" it will not use SSDs but will record to CFast cards (it will also do 12G SDI and possibly have fibre connections too if it comes at the point when they realise that 12G SDI can only go about 15meters down an RG6 cable)

Studio Camera - will be replaced by a 2/3rd inch version with a B4 mount so that proper ENG lenses actually work on it.

ATEM - Who knows? maybe they will one day actually finish the control side? Seems pretty unlikely though, 3rd party options will continue to be the only way of using it seriously.

If people want to look back on this thread when these things have happened and say "see they do listen to their users" then I'll have a little laugh, I don't think these things will happen because of user feedback as such, more because they will kind of blunder forwards coming up with "fixes" to the products which they create in isolation from the working production industry. (we will see a whole load of new things from them on the way to getting these "fixes" and many of them will be really badly thought out, in generation 1 at least)

Cheers
Tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 9:45 pm

hleecarpenter wrote:1. Why in the world would you take away H.264 converted outputs via the USB on the 4K switchers? This has to be the most insane things you've ever done for an upgraded product. I would gladly pay the additional $140 (the cost of the Ultra Studio Mini) for this feature to be added within the switcher frame.
2. Why haven't you not make the USB3 outputs on the 1 & 2 M/E system incompatible with Macs? It's been years and no one in their right mind wants to stream or capture to a Windows machine
3. Why would you not allow ALL Atem switchers the ability to run TGA sequences?

1. H.264 encoder has been taken away because of the problems it has... If you do basic search you will find whole list of problems with built in encoder and the "H.264 Pro Encoder" (which I bough and have problems myself). That includes overheating issues, files out of sync, other problems at different encoding bit rate. And for the 4K they already probably making H.265 Encoder (stand alone device)... But I would go to the number 2 for that...

2. USB 3 had it's own limitations. It needed very specific (and old) controller... So basically it was useless on newer PCs... I would look for Thunderbolt PCs and hopefully BM releases some drivers updates to work with them. UltraStudio Mini Recorder would be the best solution.

3. I don't get why they wouldn't just add USB port for flash drive or even mSata port for internal SSD.... But it's not a huge deal because it's not hard to use any old PC for playback with much more flexibility.
Pavel L

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 9:30 am

hleecarpenter wrote:1. Why in the world would you take away H.264 converted outputs via the USB on the 4K switchers? This has to be the most insane things you've ever done for an upgraded product. I would gladly pay the additional $140 (the cost of the Ultra Studio Mini) for this feature to be added within the switcher frame.

The FPGA's prob can't do 4K so the only option was probably to do H.264 IF you do under 4K. However the encoder sucks bigtime, bad SNR, buggy, bad drivers so it's GOOD that BM removed this ******* feature.

If you need this, buy the H.264 Pro Recorder.
And notice that blackmagic still sells the old TV studio for you.

hleecarpenter wrote:2. Why haven't you not make the USB3 outputs on the 1 & 2 M/E system incompatible with Macs? It's been years and no one in their right mind wants to stream or capture to a Windows machine

USB3 bandwidth is a bag of hurt. USB3 drivers is a bag of hurt. I understand why Blackmagic won't focus their development efforts on the USB3 capture drivers.

hleecarpenter wrote:3. Why would you not allow ALL Atem switchers the ability to run TGA sequences?

Probably has to do with the hardware. No room in the FPGA for separate pool + no separate media pool that can contain it.

It's the same whining on the forum every time this comes up. Just because the hardware isn't made for your specific purposes doesn't mean noone uses it. I know a fair amount of people who LOVE the fact that the 1M/E have 4 HDMI inputs and are now very sad that this isn't the case anymore. It though seems to be the thinking of the elite from some people here, "Just because i don't want the HDMI inputs must mean that noone in the world wants them too.". Grow up.

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 10:26 am

Rather than being insulting and making assumptions about how people use the switchers why not actually take onboard the points being made here Jonas?

HDMI has been dropped because BMD couldn't make it work well enough to be useable in the way it was intended.
H264 has been dropped because BMD couldn't make it work well enough to be useable in the way it was intended.
USB3 has been dropped because BMD couldn't make it work well enough to be useable in the way it was intended.

There is a bit of a recurring theme here, and I don't understand why you're leaping to defend BMD over it? The point for me isn't that they change the way that the switchers work, its that when they face a problem the "solution" they provide is to slowly remove functionality. They cut features away with each new revision rather than actually sorting out the problems so the features which they sold to people in the first place actually work.

Take HDMI as the example; the problem with HDMI inputs is twofold - firstly long cables or weak sources would not be accepted by the switcher. This could have been solved with a hardware revision including some reclocker circuitry to restore the signal integrity and provide a wider range of compatibility with HDMI sources on longer cables.
The second issue with HDMI is that HDCP sources cannot be fed into the switcher meaning that things such as bluray players do not work. Again this is not insurmountable, other manufacturers have solved this problem by making their switchers HDCP compliant repeaters and thus allow the use of HDCP sources within a valid HDCP chain (with the restriction that HDSDI outputs are not available when HDCP is active)

Rather than doing either of these things BMD simply drop the HDMI inputs from the gear and encourage people to use converters on the inputs if they want HDMI. This is a less good solution for people (including your contacts who " LOVE the fact that the 1M/E have 4 HDMI inputs and are now very sad that this isn't the case anymore. " )

This is the issue that is worrying many of us. The ATEM switchers have lost functionality over time. There are many many features which work on the Echolab ATEM which still haven't made it into the BMD version, and whilst BMD have never promised that they would provide the functions its frustrating that 4 years of development has seen no progress on functions such as switcher macros, external media device control and systems integration. This frustration is exasperated by the fact that BMD actually manufacture things like the hyperdeck and so providing the missing glue to allow shot recall from the switcher panel would be less work for them than it was for echolab who had to integrate 3rd party protocols.

cheers
tom

Petrescu Vlad

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Jonas and Tom, i think both points of view are valid, it happends you are both right. BMD are both great in some aspects and really annoying in others, i've learned this in a short time from my limited exp with their products. Maybe the StudioCam is the best example here, such a huge promise for a limited budget studio yet so far away from being "there". I don't think BMD is doing this on purpose, maybe there are limitations we don't know about. I think everybody should just do their homework before buying a BMD product to be sure it is what they think it is, don't rush to buy a product just released because the marketing photo looks good.

lotech

PostMon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 am

2x HDMI ports should be all the non-SDI inputs an ATEM switchers should offer - enough for 2 playback/title computers basically. Everything else should be SDI. 1 input on our 2M/E & 1M/E 4k = 1 more mini converter and one more power supply and one more thing that could be disconnected during a show.

Andy Williams

PostMon Jun 09, 2014 4:21 am

I just want to know why/how they thought the "studio camera" was a studio camera with a lens mount/sensor(4/3 vs 1/3-2/3), comms jack (1/4 vs 5 pin XLR), and fiber transmission (LC vs SMPTE or opticalCON), etc. that nobody (that I know of) uses in regular broadcasting. Thats some real basic stuff that just isn't compatible. I've been trying to figure out a good reason why for weeks and I can't. I don't want to complain I just want to understand

Mickey Carson

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 12:06 am

The bad thing is that no one from BMD has or will respond to this thread. Not having the corporate courage to address these kinds of issues can be rather self destructive. As many times I have seen this kind of issue brought up in these forums, especially with our noted British super users, I have never seen BMD participate in the conversation. Maybe I missed it. If I were king of BMD, I would have a team assigned to engaging these discussions, documenting the reoccurring themes, and bringing the issues into the laps of management teams that have the power to improve these customer impressions through engineering and design adjustments and customer relations. As it stands, no matter what they fix, we will still think they are not listening to us.

Justine Robilliard

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 pm

I feel the frustration of the original poster, BMD is simply not approachable for someone looking to start a small production company, I am soon going to buying a number of items, a few cameras and a switcher, my budget is really small, so I was looking into BMD, as what I see on the website seems to fit the bill, but the lack of a dedicated person I can actually skype, really destroys the website and the company as a whole.

If you are wanting to sell, then use technology, skype has been around since Noah walked off the Ark....BMD start listening to your customers, we pay the bills..Without customers you are all on benefits as unemployed....

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 6:23 pm

We do have a sales phone line to help with those sorts of questions as well as an email address for those types of questions. All those are accessible via the company tab. Even if you do not see a response from a developer/product manager, your input here also does not go unrecognized.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 10:57 pm

With all due respect Tony phoning the sales line is a great way to be sold some equipment by people with little to no experience of using the kit.

The sales + marketing team really are not the problem! The issue is that not a single one of your significant products actually works in the way it is described by the sales people. There are key technical issues at the very heart of blackmagic, namely the company doesn't have enough FPGA programmers who are capable of fixing the bugs and creating the new products that you insist on bringing to market every 6 months. The new product design teams lack any real world production experience, meaning you keep launching products which do not work in a way which is actually usable in serious productions. You never seem to learn from past errors, and there seems to be a serious lack of continuity with workflow methodology.

I'd love to get an email saying "Blackmagic announce zero new products - all company resources are to be dedicated to fixing the current bugs and missing features" but I know the next email I get from "Grant" will be telling me about a load of new gear, none of which will be delivered on time, nor will it meet it's advertised specification.

I don't really expect a response to this message, but you should consider how it looks in a thread like this when you respond only to someone asking about presales support!

I hope these messages are getting escalated up the chain of command at least. We are trying both to understand why the company behaves in this way and to help you to change in the future in a way which not only improves your product line but also helps to rebuild some of the trust that many long term customers feel they have lost.

Cheers
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jun 11, 2014 2:01 am

What Tom said...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Chad

PostWed Jun 11, 2014 2:35 am

Ditto. I also happen to live within literal walking distance from your Fremont office (exactly one exit away on 880) and would be happy to stop by in person to show you how your products are used in the real world. :D

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Not everyone is in the dialzone of the company concerned, skype is cheap to install, to use, from both ends, sales staff to me, or me to sales staff. I agree 200% with the sentiment that sales staff do not know about the product from a user point of view, they just know how to sell, whether it is snow to Alaskans or surf boards to Californians, they have the art of the sell, and I might end up buying the wrong thing.

That would lead to me bad mouthing BMD, as I see, this is already happening, this thread highlights the issues, and BMD do nothing to fix or address this, it is a customer be damned, you will buy regardless of our attitude as we are cheap and you buy cheap...

That attitude sucks, and I hope BMD head of the company personally contacts me, I suspect this will not happen, customers are not important to BMD.

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 pm

If you want my money, then earn it, and no I will not be emailing, skype yes, email never!!

Lance Lewis

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Let me preface my statement by saying that its definitely important for a company to have good customer service and that the concerns brought about in this thread should be addressed. With that said, many companies employ sales reps who do not personally use the products that they are selling. It's a different skill set (sales vs technical knowledge). Typically when you have problems with a product, you don't call a sales rep, you call tech support. If it is a presale question you typically don't have access to tech support. I personally rely on reviews and product demonstrations and reading the manual (most can be found online).

Is it common for companies to Skype with customers or potential customers? Just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I am in a country that has very little hardware, I do not have access to users such as in the US or Europe, no one uses skype, not sure why, it is a great way to interact, oh well I understand that Blackmagic simply does not care about pre-sales.

The website is shockingly poor in what it needs to be, the forums old and stale. I have taken heed of the comments on the poor quality of product, and maybe fate determined where I go.

A lost sale...I would say yes.

Lance Lewis

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Justine, for what it's worth I am currently very happy with my bmd purchases. A big part of that is the price.

-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
Neenah, WI

Kane Peterson

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Skype might be a great why to interact with people you know and its free, but that doesn't make it a good support option. There is no queue management, so all people would get is refusals when trying to call since the support people would be on Skype with other people. Then it just become the luck of the call as to if you get answered, since you wouldn't have an ability to wait in line. Which would lead to even more complaints, "On one ever answers my Skype!"

The more important issue, is that support costs money. And while I don't know BMD's business plan, its my guess that this is of the ways that BMD equipment is so low cost. This isn't to say the don't have support and that those people aren't trying their best (I'm sure that they are), but it comes down to where is support in the company's priority.

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Hello, we are professionals I assume, and as such, it is the same as making a phone call using the old telephone we all love.

Most smartphones, pc's and tablets have skype as an app, I would make an appointment, to have a skype call, as I would to view or use a demo model.

I fully grant that BMD might not be a huge company with 10 000 on staff, as such, making a request in advance would be fine with me, wait for them to return my request and them to call me, again fine.

How hard can that be?

Adam Simmons

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:40 pm

I don't see any problem with them using the phone unless you are wanting a cam session with them to which I see no point. I work in support and am often building a system whilst giving support over the phone. If I had to sit down in front of a cam just to give support it would seriously cut into the amount of work I can do

Kane Peterson

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm

justine wrote:How hard can that be?

Its very easy, if you want to do support poorly...

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:52 pm

My skype may be different to the one that is owned by a large software company, the version I have on my ipad mini allows for text typing, it allows for video and audio, and audio alone, like a telephone from 1980.

How hard can it be for BMD to use the 3rd option above???

Adam Simmons

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 pm

How hard can it be for you to just use the phone like everyone else?

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I am not in the dial zone as many of BMD customers, skype is effective, if both parties use it, the problem with skype is the purchase of credits, a nightmare here where I am, and international calling is pricy, maybe once I am at the point of placing orders, a phone call can be justified, for pre-sales, and info seeking, skype is more suitable, why BMD does not offer this when every laptop and mobile device has the app, if not skype then Apple's version, facetime, why use pots when the data is free??

Europe, United Kingdom, Middle East and South Africa

Patrick Hussey

T: +44(0) 1565 830 049 Ext. 615

This is why, +44 is not a local call....

Lance Lewis

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Justine, I think the main reason is that it is simply not an industry standard for support or sales to use Skype. At least not in the US. It's not uncommon to have live chat via a chat window but I don't know of any company that uses Skype or why that would be advantageous for a company to do.

-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
Neenah, WI

Lance Lewis

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Okay I see from your perspective why you want it, but I wonder if there are other options for you to get the information that you seek that are equally as easy?

-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
Neenah, WI

Justine Robilliard

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm

That is up to BMD management to decide, to skype or not to skype, that is the question..

Kane Peterson

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Its just as I said. Support cost money.

Sure the data connection isn't paid for the same way as on old POTS system. But you would need people on the other end to answer those messages. The expectation with most text messaging systems is that you would get a response quicker than email, so the would mean people sitting there ready to answer the IM as they arrive. Not to mention that texting makes it so clear as to the emotional state of the person you are working with. Its important to know how upset or agitated the client might be on the other end so that the support person can work to bring the customer 'down' in these situations. Having done support myself, I can tell you that IM is the last way I would want to do it. If people are expecting to be able to call (or video) using Skype, then they would need a larger internet connection to handle the multiple connections. Unlike your home internet, business connections are usually much more expensive and aren't unlimited (or almost unlimited) like your get with most home connections.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Of all the things to criticise BMD for not using skype is the weirdest one i've heard.

NOBODY uses Skype for broadcast equipment sales or support.

Nice way to totally take a discussion off topic though.

Phone them up - You can use "Skype Out" which is very cheap for international calls.

or take your money elsewhere - to one of the many competing suppliers who don't use Skype either.

zzz

charliedango

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Nice posts, Tom. I see I'm not the only one who sees the flaws in BMD's business model. Having purchased two USB 3.0 Intensity Shuttles only to learn later through deeper research nearly buried on the site that they only work with certain chipsets, I'm in the "WTF were they thinking?" department myself. I now weigh every decision I make about purchasing ANY piece of gear that has to interface with a BMD product carefully beforehand, even if that piece of gear is from BMD themselves! It is maddening!

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:ATEM - Who knows? maybe they will one day actually finish the control side? Seems pretty unlikely though, 3rd party options will continue to be the only way of using it seriously.

at least, there's the option of 3rd party control solutions...

hleecarpenter wrote:1. H.264 encoder has been taken away because of the problems it has... If you do basic search you will find whole list of problems with built in encoder and the "H.264 Pro Encoder" (which I bough and have problems myself). That includes overheating issues, files out of sync, other problems at different encoding bit rate. And for the 4K they already probably making H.265 Encoder (stand alone device)... But I would go to the number 2 for that...

the h264 encoder should have been designed as an ethernet output device, not the stupid USB thing that requires wierdo drivers to use... or should have followed the UVC http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class standard, so that it would have been seen as a webcam by all systems

Tom_Bassford wrote:The second issue with HDMI is that HDCP sources cannot be fed into the switcher meaning that things such as bluray players do not work. Again this is not insurmountable, other manufacturers have solved this problem by making their switchers HDCP compliant repeaters and thus allow the use of HDCP sources within a valid HDCP chain (with the restriction that HDSDI outputs are not available when HDCP is active)

I disagree there. HDCP is a bag of hurt that is pretty useless, and I'm actively campaining so that it eventually disappears, which will save money, resources and aggravation for everybody (see here https://defectivebydesign.org/ )
besides, bluray players will switch to all sorts of formats as soon as they play
I did manage to input a bluray in my tvstudio. I used a righton HD500, and a decimator MDCROSS to force the video format... works perfectly

justine wrote:Europe, United Kingdom, Middle East and South Africa
Patrick Hussey
T: +44(0) 1565 830 049 Ext. 615

This is why, +44 is not a local call....

depends on the company sending your phone bill.
over here (france) we have sensible ones that consider voice as a commodity, and charge appropriately (calling the UK is free for all intents and purposes)
the one issue I had with the proposition of calling BMD on the phone is timezone differences ;-)

Dave Glennie

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 am

Mmmm,

What Tom Bassford said……absolutely agree Tom!

Tom says it best………best topic de-rail I've ever seen……..

Cheers
Dave
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Mickey Carson

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:33 pm

So, the company response to this thread is to call their sales line. What I am seeing is a very negative forum thread on their own website. Instead of asking us questions to get clarifications or making statements of understanding, they are simply redirecting us away from a public forum. This indicates a complete misunderstanding of current business attitudes about social marketing.

I work shows for many large technology companies who spend a great deal of time discussing the changing roll of social media and customer involvement. Trust me, these guys would love a thread like this one and would be completely involved in the discussion. First - to express to their customers that they are interactive with their customer base. Secondly to bring customer reaction into their product development and planning. They have recognized that they had to interact to survive.

Even I listen to my customers and solicit their view on my performance. I have changed how I do my work because of what my customers have said. I am just a freelance tech with a small inventory of gear, but I take the time and it has helped me. Would anyone expect that the same attitude would help BMD in their business?

Justine Robilliard

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:39 pm

The business model for customer interaction from before Mr Armstrong visited a nearby planet simply does not have any use in 2014 business and social environments.

If BMD wants to survive, it has to stop thinking about customer relations from before my parents were a twinkle in the eye... Wake up BMD, nothing stopping you from being the trendsetter...

You may disagree, this is 2014, not 1914!!!

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm

1 the moon isn't a planet.

2 BMD haven't responded to this thread. They have responded to Justine's offtopic post in this thread.

I feel the frustration of the original poster, BMD is simply not approachable for someone looking to start a small production company, I am soon going to buying a number of items, a few cameras and a switcher, my budget is really small, so I was looking into BMD, as what I see on the website seems to fit the bill, but the lack of a dedicated person I can actually skype, really destroys the website and the company as a whole.

If you are wanting to sell, then use technology, skype has been around since Noah walked off the Ark....BMD start listening to your customers, we pay the bills..Without customers you are all on benefits as unemployed....

The response of "we have a phone line, give us a call" is completely reasonable to this post. I would add the Blackmagic are a manufacturer not a systems integrator. The service of handholding you through the purchase decisions to put together a system for a specific task isn't one which ANY major broadcast manufacturer will really offer. People use resellers and distributor networks to provide this kind of systems integration service, expecting a manufacturer to provide this kind of service via skype simply shows a bizarre lack of appreciation of how broadcast / b2b sales are carried out.

In fairness to BMD they do read these kind of threads and I hope that they feedback the views expressed here back up the chain of command. How well they take onboard the points people keep making here will be the true test of the company in the next couple of years. Currently it appears that their business model is one of launching new products every 6 months and f*ck everyone who has brought existing products. Maybe this will change, it badly needs to otherwise they will lose all their customers.

Updates and bug fixes for existing products are what's needed to return peoples confidence to the Blackmagic brand. Everytime they postpone an update to launch another half baked product their customer base becomes more angry.

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 9:44 pm

to be fair, BMD did *FINALLY* release a fix for the 2ME frame sync issue. just in time too, i am shopping for another switcher and had resigned myself to much more money for the carbonite over this issue. i may give BMD another shot now…

and Skype? seriously? :-)
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

hleecarpenter

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 10:07 pm

I just came back to this thread, which I wrote a few years back. I am happy to announce that I just sold my last ATEM switcher. After owning 15+ switchers, I've taken all of my business to Datavideo. They are an incredible company, with amazing products, and best of all THEY ANSWER THE PHONE AND LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! Not only that, their prices kill BMD on most everything. Anyway, if you are interested, I encourage you to check out their website http://www.datavideo.com

Also, if anyone is interested, I've purchased the HS-1200 (4x2 with built in monitor and control board - $2,995 MSRP) and SE-2200 (6x6 w/ control board - $4,000 MSRP) switchers.

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

hleecarpenter wrote:I just came back to this thread, which I wrote a few years back. I am happy to announce that I just sold my last ATEM switcher. After owning 15+ switchers, I've taken all of my business to Datavideo. They are an incredible company, with amazing products, and best of all THEY ANSWER THE PHONE AND LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! Not only that, their prices kill BMD on most everything. Anyway, if you are interested, I encourage you to check out their website http://www.datavideo.com

Also, if anyone is interested, I've purchased the HS-1200 (4x2 with built in monitor and control board - $2,995 MSRP) and SE-2200 (6x6 w/ control board - $4,000 MSRP) switchers.

noone cares if you want to buy bad gear dude

Return to Off-Topic