Real names showing up in Google-results

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Jérôme Siegelaer

Real names showing up in Google-results

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 8:10 pm

So I got this PM where I was kindly yet firmly asked to add my surname, and so I did.
My real name is my user name, at your wish.

Now if I google my name, messages I have posted here pop up in the search results.
Yep, including this one as soon as I've hit the submit-button AND the post if approved by mods (apparently that's standard procedure for noobs).

Dear mods, you are very consciously building up a user community on a real name basis. I appreciate that.
It's nice to know who you're talking to, as long as we're 'among us'. Having every word publicly readable is something different though.
Please exclude usernames, our real names, from the reach of search engines.

Kind regards,
JS
Videodesign and Art

Kevin Dooley

Re: Real names showing up in Google-results

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm

This is a valid concern and a good idea.

James Bachalo

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 am

ditto
My only hesitation in the 'real name' only policy.

It gives anyone way too much power to track anyone else's online habits, at the push of a button

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:54 am

It's a public forum. Don't write stuff you would not want seen in public. Simples.

That's the point of using real names, people tend to think more before they post and are a little more respectful in their tone and content of their posts.

Jérôme Siegelaer

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 am

adamroberts wrote:It's a public forum. Don't write stuff you would not want seen in public. Simples.

That's the point of using real names, people tend to think more before they post and are a little more respectful in their tone and content of their posts.

That is beyond the point that I am making here. While I'm absolutely agreeing that tone and content should be respectful, I disagree that all post here should be visible for the whole world and show up in google search results. There are good reasons that people don't want to be seen with their full equipment in the eye of the world. Remember that some people don't have much respect for property ownership :?

By the way, you don't have your real name as your username because you skipped the space. If the mods allow that, and nothing is done about fencing off googlebots, I'd like to skip that space in between name and surname, too.

In the meanwhile I'm hoping for some official reaction, by one of the mods.
Videodesign and Art

Colin Barrett

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 3:03 pm

adamroberts wrote:It's a public forum. Don't write stuff you would not want seen in public. Simples.

I don't agree. I ran a successful phpBB-based digital video community forum for years and I didn't insist on real user names, and nor did I get any trouble from registered users, largely because I had a good team of mods and admins who policed it very effectively.

The other thing about phpBB is that bots can be excluded from indexing specific aspects of the forums and I would advise that to be done in this case.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Jérôme Siegelaer

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 am

Well, I got the offer to ditch the space in between my first and second name, but my request for that was irony.
Apologies if that was misunderstood, English is not my native language.

I don't want to change my name into NameSurname but I want that bots are excluded from searching.
Why ask to use ones real names without protecting privacy?
Videodesign and Art

dbmedia

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 am

My main concern with using my real name.

I don't want my clients googling my name and seeing what I have been posting about, or worse, competitors finding out what my set up is and copying it.

Although a great idea to use real names in theory, unlike a face to face conversation with a fellow professional, everything said on here is permanently recorded and archived for all eternity.

I'm generally a very private person, and even FirstnameLastname isn't good enough.

Sorry BMD, but if you persist with this policy, I will no longer be here.

Return to Off-Topic