RG59 cable run over 300 feet

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

danester

RG59 cable run over 300 feet

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 pm

I am setting up a camera to a dvr that is over 300 ft but under 800 feet, will I have any problems doing this with RG59 outdoor rated cable?

I am using the "RG59 Siamese Cable PE Jacket"

This was posted on the website of who I bought the cameras from

•The extension cable must be a single stretch of cable between the DVR and camera. You cannot connect multiple extension cables to each other. For cable runs above 300ft (92m), you must connect the power adapter directly to the camera, rather than at the end of the extension cable.

James Johnson

Re: RG59 cable run over 300 feet

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 1:09 am

I personally would rather not use RG-59 for anything. If I am not mistaken RG-59 is 50 Ohm cable. I would rather use RG-6 or if you can afford it then use RG-11. RG-11 is thicker cable but has better performance. We had trouble getting our signal to our "local" cable company headend so we paid them to install an RG-11 coax cable that we sent our signal through until they replaced it with fiber optics. I do not know how to put a connector on the end of an RG-11 cable and I do not know where to buy them. My tools are for RG-6 and other cables of the same width.

James Johnson
Technical Director
Office of Communications
City of Arlington, Texas

Thomas Seewald

Re: RG59 cable run over 300 feet

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 6:05 am

Sorry James, you are mistaken. RG59 are cables for video usage and are made for 75 Ohms. RG58 ist for 50 Ohms.

So RG59 can be used for analog video and digital video (SDI), but I think when used for HD only for shorter distances.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Return to Off-Topic