Idea for Hyperdeck Shuttle 3

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Kevin

Idea for Hyperdeck Shuttle 3

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Hey all,

I bought the Shuttle 2.. not even sure why right now because I can't afford a pure HDMI out camera (currently using Canon T2i). My goal is to get a decent/affordable clean HDMI 1080p 10-bit or better camera. Probably the BM Cinema Camera..although I am waiting to see test footage with regards to shallow depth of field given the small sensor size. Hoping it matches my T2i or close to it.

Anyway, the idea.. maybe something like this exists already. The Shuttle 2 is a phenomenal price for recording uncompressed HDMI to SSD drives or using DNxHD (and now ProRes). However, what happens if you buy a bad SSD drive and don't know it until you get back from a session and see that some/all of the video is no good? One way around this I think is to use 2 shuttles.. so that you're recording a backup video. It's more expensive of course, but at least you're more than likely going to have your video.. there is the possibility of 2 bad SSD drives or forgetting to press record or something.

The easy way right now is to buy 2 shuttle 2s and use a hdmi splitter or something. However, them shuttle 2s are heavy! Adding a 2nd one along with the battery power to run them for a few hours adds a lot of weight to a camera rig. So my thought is, to maybe thin down the metal a little bit, but add a 2nd SSD slot and have it either record simultaneously to both SSD drives (if a 2nd one is inserted) OR allow the option to use the SSD drives to double the length of your record time.

Now I realize with today's fast laptops, SSD, etc.. it's pretty quick to check the video on the spot.. but for venues like live gigs, weddings, etc.. you don't have the luxury of checking an hour or more of video in it's entirety.

As a side option, it would be nice if there was a little better way to trigger the record/playback. Without a screen, it's difficult to be sure you're recording sometimes. I say that because, at least on my unite, I sometimes have to press record several times to get it to work. I am not sure why this is. It would be nice if there was a wireless input or something to trigger record/stop.

bhook

Re: Idea for Hyperdeck Shuttle 3

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I'd sure like to see some automatic 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown.

Kevin

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm

That would be nice too! I see the Hyperdeck Studio is pretty much what I'd want.. only it's a bit too big for a camera rig. Be nice to shrink that down in size and weight.

Denal

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 am

For what you're trying to do, I wouldn't go with two Shuttles. Yes, it's totally possible, but it's going to be a major headache.
Don't compare yourself to others . You have no idea what their journey is all about!

RRRoger Martin

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 pm

The record light on the Shuttle II is pretty reliable.
It will go out (or never come on) if there is a problem with recording.

I have mine mounted on my TriPod leg.
It is attached to a small platform with velcro but never comes off.
The biggest advantage is that I can swivel the camera 360 degrees while seated
and looking at an external monitor.

My request would be an external battery mount with adapter for common batteries
and more recording codecs including ProRes LT and DNxHD 45.

donstarnes

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Enable the Display function; give an indication of record time both on the video out and via blinky SSD indicator.
Don Starnes
Director of Photography, occasional Director
donstarnes.com
instagram.com/donstarnes

Mac Mini (M1, 2020), 16Gb
MacOS 12
DaVinci Resolve Studio
BMVA 12G

Kevin

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 5:03 pm

I picked up a camera rig from Lanparte for about $1500 in total. It includes shoulder pad, hand grips, follow focus, rails and extra extenders and rails, a battery and matte box. It's not nearly as pricey as say Redrock and others, but still a little pricey. None the less, the battery pack sits on an HDMI splitter deck. That has several outputs, including a few 5V, 12V and a 14V I believe. I use one of those outputs and modified a provided cable (that the rig came with).. .basically I cut the one end off, spliced the wires to the end that goes into the shuttle 2. It took about 10 minutes or so, and now my battery powers my shuttle 2. I did the same splice job for my Canont t2i, so that the battery powers the camera too. It also has a USB 5V that I use to power my Tascam DR-40 (and now my Zoom H6N). I haven't set it up to power my 8" monitor yet, but I believe it will do that as well. The battery should power everything for at least 3 hours or so of use.

As a side note to this, Switronix (and others) make a T adapter that allows you to plug in two batteries complete with hot-swap feature. It's about $150 or so, but eventually I would like to get that so that I can swap batteries if needed while recording. That said, unless you are recording uncompressed and using a 500GB SSD will only give you about 50 minutes... if you're recording DNxHD or ProRes, you shouldn't need to swap anything for a few hours, which should be plenty for any recording job short of a long live event.

Return to Off-Topic