FeelWorld 7" budget monitor thoughts

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Shayne Kasai

FeelWorld 7" budget monitor thoughts

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 4:21 am

So, I picked up a FeelWorld 7" monitor (FW759) to pair up with my pocket camera. I was thinking I could post my experience with it on here...

Yes, I have contemplated and would seriously love a SmallHD, or Atomos, or other heavy duty monitor ( and by all means, feel free to send one my way :D ) - but I have to make sacrifices.

I'm wondering if you folks would be interested in hearing what I have to say about this monitor, especially for a zero-budget film *cough* and what it was like dealing with FeelWorld. This might be an interesting option for people in a similar boat - especially for a $140 monitor.

If not no worries, but then, I would feel really sad

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg (872.64 KiB) Viewed 18897 times

rick.lang

Re: FeelWorld 7" budget monitor thoughts

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 4:32 am

Of course, people would be interested, please continue...

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Please do. I've been looking for a good review since I started looking it. Thanks!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Interested
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Shayne Kasai

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Cool, I'll try not to ramble on!

My gear: pocket camera, view factor cage

My situation: I'm filming two "no-budget" shorts this year. The first one is indoors, and I've scheduled to shoot it in a day. The second one is mostly outside and spans across two weeks of shooting. I decided to pick up a monitor to help compose shots in bright daylight and also give the director something to look at.

Rental: yup, thought of this, but for the amount of time I'll need the gear, I might as well purchase a monitor. I also thought about joining a co-op but as a new father, I barely have time to even create shotlists. Not my situation, but if you live in an isolated town, renting might not even be an option. I could also just use a shade, or umbrella, but a monitor can be pretty damn convenient.

So, I checked some forums, stumbled upon mostly unsuccessful pairings with FeelWorld monitors, and a couple of successes. I did a search on the brand and found that FW (http://www.feelworld.cn/English/) has a huge list of monitors and they have been around for several years but I think maybe FW was more popular in the RC / drone world. Some monitors matched the specs required by the pocket camera. I also found a post somewhere, maybe on here, where someone had contacted FW directly and found a monitor for their camera. So - I tracked them down on Alibaba (at the time, their feelworld.cn website was down) - http://feelworld.en.alibaba.com

They even had a list of compatible BlackMagic monitors but I can't find that link anywhere. Anyways, on Alibaba I chatted with the FW sales person and they insisted we continue chatting on Skype so I figured why not. I outright asked them which camera will work with the pocket camera and they suggested the FW759 (http://www.feelworld.cn/English/Product/1268391345.html)

To be honest, I was quite impressed by their customer service - they responded very quickly to everything except my warranty question in which I never got a real answer other than "problems with these displays are extremely rare". Okay...

Given that a lot of people have purchased FW monitors, and given FW's responsiveness to my questions, along with the $140 price tag, I decided to bite. Worst case scenario, I spent $140 on parts. I sent over $140 USD via PayPal and a few of days later, a package arrived at my door, what the hell? That's faster than some local online retailers (I'm in Canada by the way). They used FedEx if I recall.

So what was in the box?

1. A cardboard box, packaged in another box with styrofoam - not bad. The monitor was well protected, it even has a film protecting the screen

2. Monitor

3. HDMI lock for the monitor

4. Mount for the camera

5. Sunshade (plastic and velcro but works really well)

6. HDMI cable

7. Sunshade frame

8. Manual, but it's not in english but it has pictures

So a few things.

1. It doesn't come with a battery. The default configuration runs off of these F970 compatible batteries like these (http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00H0JRKSE/ref= ... TE_3p_dp_1) - I had to buy these, works, a bit huge for 2015 - $50 - I believe you can get other battery plates for this monitor but you would have to ask FW

2. HDMI cable is not compatible with the pocket camera. You need to pick up an HDMI -> micro. Whatever, I ordered one from B&H for $4

3. Then I found out that the micro HDMI port in the pocket camera sucks... so I purchased this: http://www.viewfactor.net/hdmi-power-clamp.html - another $30

At this point I'm thinking, one more f*cking accessory and I might as well have bought a SmallHD

Once everything came in, I assembled my rig and turned the monitor and pocket camera on, it works! It really really works! But there are some deal breakers:

1. Construction: plastic... I would NOT drop this thing. It's light, and I don't think it would survive a drop

2. Powering on, I heard this god awful feedback noise coming from the monitor - I had to fumble around to figure out which buttons turns the volume to 0%. I do my audio externally anyways so I have no need for audio on the monitor.

3. Guides on the monitor are clipped, and I can't find any adjustment to shrink the horizontal/vert. You can only increase the view > 0. The framing guides from the pocket camera show up, which is awesome. I can even see the battery indicator, albeit slightly chopped off

IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG (293 KiB) Viewed 18805 times

I can live with these, as I did when the pocket camera didn't have any audio meters and formatting of any sort. I'd be surprised if any of these gets fixed with firmware, but I can still frame shots and I still have my pocket camera's display as a reference. At the end of the day, this is going to make shooting easier. For others, this is probably not worth the money.

And some good things:

1. This monitor has some additional features which I haven't explored, like frame guides? / aspect ratios

2. Some RGB colour reference menu options

3. And guess what, I see the focus peaking guides, I bet the zebras work too

My other thought is, if you're making a no-budget short, really think about whether you need a monitor or not or if you can get away with a sunshade or an umbrella. I convinced myself that I needed a monitor, but it's only to make things convenient. If you're shooting indoors, and it's just you and an actor, you probably don't need a monitor.

On the other side of the fence, maybe you need something to share with the director and frame shots, or maybe you're tired of cupping your hand around the pocket camera's screen in the bright sunlight... maybe you only have < $200 to spend on a monitor. I felt that I belong to this category and at the end of the day, I have something that works.

One last note, there are many many many distributors of FW monitors on EBay, AliExpress and so on. I would avoid these with a 10 foot pole and try your hardest to order directly from FW.

I will take photos of the menu options this weekend and post them here... this will be the longest post I ever make :)

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the post.
Don't beat yourself up about your purchase.
It is always handy to have a monitor that you can position for best viewing.
I have just bought a VF loupe from Kamerar for my BMPCC( had to modify to fit my Viewfactor cage WIP) and it works well with sun etc, but once the camera is in an awkward position then it is difficult to look through the loupe so the monitor plays well in this scenario.
As for spending cash on the cable lock etc, you would have had to do that with any monitor.

Bottom line would you recommend this make just from framing and focus. Forget colour decisions.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 7:14 pm

pilotbayfilms wrote:One last note, there are many many many distributors of FW monitors on EBay, AliExpress and so on. I would avoid these with a 10 foot pole and try your hardest to order directly from FW.

Hey pilotbayfilms, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I assume you order directly from FW. Can you share that link with us?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Shayne Kasai

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
pilotbayfilms wrote:One last note, there are many many many distributors of FW monitors on EBay, AliExpress and so on. I would avoid these with a 10 foot pole and try your hardest to order directly from FW.

Hey pilotbayfilms, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I assume you order directly from FW. Can you share that link with us?

I used the contact link off of Alibaba: http://feelworld.en.alibaba.com/ - you can probably get in touch with them through their website too: http://www.feelworld.cn/english/, however, it seems like a big organization so you may not end up with the same person.

My contact was Joy Lin, you can see her profile on the alibaba page.

Grzegorz Styczen

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 11:29 am

I have an sdi version, heavy, eats a lot of battery power and pixels are dying very fast. A long vertical green line of dead pixels just popped up. Not reccomend...

Ellory Yu

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 5:56 am

Grzegorz Styczen wrote:I have an sdi version, heavy, eats a lot of battery power and pixels are dying very fast. A long vertical green line of dead pixels just popped up. Not reccomend...

Wow... That is concerning. Where you able to get the manufacturer to fix it? How responsive was Feelworld in getting things resolved? I am making the assumption that this may not be a common anomaly.

Shayne Kasai

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 2:20 am

Here's a dump of the menus, I didn't go in depth but just to give you a general idea what is available.

menu1.JPG
menu1.JPG (238.96 KiB) Viewed 18325 times

menu2.JPG
menu2.JPG (282.42 KiB) Viewed 18325 times

menu-2a.JPG
menu-2a.JPG (266.64 KiB) Viewed 18325 times

General thoughts on colour settings: they're there, the only one I think I might use is under Pic.Mode - you can switch it to different color presets, or your own user preset... out of the box the monitor looks washed out, even more than the pocket camera - I think maybe bumping up contrast and brightness might help...

Aspect ratio menu was disappointing - I did not see a setting for screen markers as advertised but I need to dig around some more.

Focus assist was interesting, turns the screen black and white and then adds red to the sharper edges... I think I'll rely more on the pocket camera focusing for this

There's more menu options, but I can only upload 3 images.. I'll load em up in the next post

Shayne Kasai

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 am

Here's the other menus:

menu3.JPG
menu3.JPG (241.7 KiB) Viewed 18324 times

menu4.JPG
menu4.JPG (215.96 KiB) Viewed 18324 times

And a perspective view of the form factor:

IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG (222.92 KiB) Viewed 18324 times

The monitor is actually thinnish but once you add the sunshade frame and battery, you can see that it gets a bit bulky. The monitor is very very light on the account of its plastic build. The weight is obviously in the battery. There is also a DC input which might be an option, I have no idea what voltage it officially takes, you would think they would put that info on the monitor. I suspect it's 12V.

In terms of battery life, yeah, it looks like it's eating it, 30 minutes today and it has depleted about 18%... I have two batteries, I might pick up another two (the generic batteries aren't that expensive anyways)

As such, I haven't used this long enough to comment on burnout or any other artifacts that might appear over time. I will definitely update this post if anything comes up.

David Peterson

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 2:21 am

How do you set up 1:1 pixel punch in for focussing?
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Craig Marshall

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 3:28 am

I've used one of these monitors with my carbon fibre tripod crane for a year or two now and it works very well in this application with the hood fitted. I switch off the chroma so use it purely for B&W monitoring the HDMI output of my Atomos ProRes recorder but hey, it's a cheap LED monitor so I would not rely on it for any more than that.

Some pictures off my site: http://www.hdvideo4k.com/html/shoot.html
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Mark Hanlen

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 8:50 am

I purchased one of these. Works well with all resolutions I've tried in the pocket. In the first week though the screen experienced a tiny tap, and the bottom right corner is now black. The monitor just has a bare LcD without any sort of protecting piece of glass or plastic. Make sure you treat it with absolute care. Sorry it's a bit off topic, but I feel it might add to the discussion.

Andrew Losurdo

PostTue May 17, 2016 8:25 am

Very interesting.
I also buy a FW monitor,but with 3G-SDI and HDMI,and with Waveform,Vector Scope,RGB Histogram.
So far,I am very satisfied with this monitor.
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG (181.16 KiB) Viewed 15086 times

IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG (106.49 KiB) Viewed 15086 times

Michelle White

PostMon May 30, 2016 7:47 am

Now Feelworld will release another new HDMI monitor, with 1920x1200 resolution, and with functions like Histogram, Y Histogram, Focus Assist, False Color, Zebra Exposure, Nine Grid, Embedded audio meter.

I would like to wait for the review about this monitor.

James Taft

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 6:00 am

Michelle White wrote:Now Feelworld will release another new HDMI monitor, with 1920x1200 resolution, and with functions like Histogram, Y Histogram, Focus Assist, False Color, Zebra Exposure, Nine Grid, Embedded audio meter.

I would like to wait for the review about this monitor.

This!!

gabriel.dorame

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Anyone tried the Feelworld FW-789? I'm thinking about getting one (now it's $405)...

Davidlawson

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 7:07 am

What?
FW-789 now 405$,would you please show us a link,where to buy?

Return to Off-Topic