Product Feedback - Power supplies connection angle.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

lotech

Product Feedback - Power supplies connection angle.

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 am

Can I just throw it out there that one of the biggest annoyances with all many of our Blackmagic gear (mini converters, Ultrastudio, TVS) is the stupid right angled power supply plugs.
We own 20+ Mini converters and it's stupid plug direction forces us to use up two plugs worth of space. It seems like a small issue but 2 or 3 mini converters become a multi box nightmare. If they connected downwards they would fit just like every other PSU and make me, and assumably many others, happier people.

Can you please seriously look at changing these long term? It seems a small issue but almost every week I curse the choice (or lack of forethought) of the PSU - I'm even considering replacing all the PSU's for 3rd party ones.

jason sach

Re: Product Feedback - Power supplies connection angle.

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm

couldn`t agree more.

worst design flaw bmd has come up with.

i have changed all mine. Space is an issue at most events and daisy chaining powerboard after powerboard is just stupid.

jason
www.tffmedia.com
www.valleyvision.com.au

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am

Typically you can get powerboards that have plugs that go either way (at least in the US). There are also squids that are not like boards, but do hte same thing but have 6 power ends on them. They're not as tidy, of course, but certainly don't require you to chain boards which should NEVER be done as those boards (again in the US are only good for 10A, maybe 15A).

Another option would be to fab your own. Use a larger power supply with 6 ends on it, and do it on one IEC. As an example one I've used one of our Videohub power supplies to do this quite nicely. As a disclaimer. If you feel like doing something like this, it is on you to understand how much load you're drawing to not overdraw the power supply, and I'd recommend inline fuses on each lead. Damage from improperly powering your devices will not covered under warranty.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Mike Squires

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 2:43 am

Or buy a cheap 90-degree converter.

It's funny, with my laptop, they used a straight power connector, but the power input is in the middle of the side of the laptop (on the right side at that), which meant I was always hitting it with my mouse. Bought a cheap 90-degree converter for $4 on Amazon, haven't had an issue since.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Haha...I did the same thing for my mother's Viao.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Jeff Hartman

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm

There are power supplies with different profiles out there: for example, Digikey sells a 12-volt 1 amp supply with the proper connector (wired tip positive) that can coexist nicely with other devices on a plug strip; their part number is T1063-P6P-ND.

They also have desktop styles, where the AC input is a cord rather than the plug being part of the casing.

-- Jeff

Benjamin Doyle

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 am

Jeff Hartman wrote:their part number is T1063-P6P-ND.

Thanks for the link- will probably pick up a few of these.

jina ray

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 2:29 am

Jeff Hartman wrote:There are power supplies with different profiles out there: for example, Digikey sells a 12-volt 1 amp supply with the proper connector (wired tip positive) that can coexist nicely with other devices on a plug strip; their part number is

They also have desktop styles, where the AC input is a cord rather than the plug being part of the casing.

-- Jeff

great, thx for the link
jina

Return to Off-Topic