BetacamSP UVW-1800 Deck won't take large tapes

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Doug Whitney

BetacamSP UVW-1800 Deck won't take large tapes

PostMon May 18, 2015 7:18 pm

I've dusted off my uvw-1800 Betacam SP deck, but its no longer accepting large format tapes. It takes the tape in partially but then spits it back out. Small tapes work fine. I've read that I may just need to lubricate a gear that might be stuck. Could anyone out there explain further? (which gear(s) and what kind of lubrication to use) Thanks!

Dave Johnstone

Re: BetacamSP UVW-1800 Deck won't take large tapes

PostThu May 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi Doug,

I remember a problem with the PVW2*** models where they wouldn't accept one size of tapes (can't remember which). There should be a test mode in the maintenance menu which toggles the reel tables from large to small tape position which you could use to test whether the mechanics are OK. If the test works, it could be the tape size detection sensor built in to the cassette lifter mechanism - this was the fault on the PVW units. A flexi-pcb ribbon suffered wear and eventually stopped communicating the cassette size to the machine so the reel tables did not move. Ten minute job to change it.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Doug Whitney

PostThu May 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks Dave, that's an interesting idea. Here is the nearest I can find in my service menu. Does it look familiar? Sounds like its prompting me to press a button, perhaps on a service remote that I don't have?

2015-05-21 10.32.19.jpg
2015-05-21 10.32.19.jpg (912.33 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

Dave Johnstone

PostFri May 22, 2015 12:41 am

Hi Doug,

I think the sensor check in your photo is the one by the threading ring (my menu information looks a little different). If you go through the maintenance menu and head to SERVO-CHECK>SENSOR-CHECK>CASS-COMPARTMENT it should offer to check the 3 sensors (cassette in L, R and L/S) you operate the sensors by hand and the display should indicate the operation. Then head to SERVO-CHECK>MOTOR-CHECK>REEL-POSITION the reel tables should toggle positions (and display change) when pressing the cursor-right key.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Return to Off-Topic