Hyperdeck Studio playback, upload feature request

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Kurien Mathew

Hyperdeck Studio playback, upload feature request

PostMon May 25, 2015 8:13 am

I am using the Hyperdeck Studio for playout and I have the following files on SSD1

brain_3840x2160p24_2ch.mov
brain_3840x2160p24_5.1ch.mov
prom_1080p24_5.1ch.mov
prom_1080p24_2ch.mov
ice_1080p29.97_5.1ch.mov
life_1080p29.97_5.1ch.mov

When I press the next/prev clip buttons, it only plays the 1080p24 files. Grouping them in separate folders did not work. If the SSD only has a files of a particular standard, playout is correct without any additional reconfiguration of the Hyperdeck.

It would be extremely useful to be able to select the file to be played back via an HTTP interface or worst via the Display menu. It would even more practical if we can upload the files to the SSD via the network/HTTP. Currently one has to power-down the Hyperdeck, move the disk to a docking station, copy files, reinsert the disk into the Hyperdeck and power-on. This is inconvenient if the unit is racked in a data center that is not co-located with the user. In order to get a predictable result, one must also make sure that only files of a particular video standard and present on the disk. Otherwise one is not sure which standard will be played back. FYI, the features mentioned above are supported by the AJA Ki Pro Quad making it easier to use.

Thomas Seewald

Re: Hyperdeck Studio playback, upload feature request

PostWed May 27, 2015 9:29 am

For playback files in different resolutions, you would need in general a scaler to convert them to the stettings of the studio environment. I don't know, if the Hyperdeck has hardware reserves for implement a scaler inside. A scaler outside is not comfortable and cost money. If the Hyperdeck displays the filenames but can't play them or would be invisible at the ensuring vision mixer , it also would be nonsensical.

In what kind of environment dou you work, if you want to playout prepared files, but in different resolutions and framerates ? To what kind of video destination ? What do you expect from an unit for a price of 1000,- (Studio) / 2000,- (Studio Pro) ?

Maybe the annonced Studio Pro 12G can do it ? But I don't know.

So what to do ? BM could design a new Hyperdeck with scaler (also please with play while continue recording.... - chase play for slow-motion / instant replay)

Filetransfer by ethernet connection would be really fine.

By the way, the SSDs bays are hotplug-able. You don't need to power down the Hyperdeck Studio to remove a SSD ! You only should press "Stop", if you want to remove a active SSD while recording...

For playing files with different format, you may use a computer besed playout system. Maybe you have a CasparCG Server. It will do the job und you can also do file transfer by eternet connection.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kurien Mathew

PostWed May 27, 2015 10:09 am

I do not expect the Hyperdeck to upscale/downscale. I have a Teranex for it. Based on the format/standard of the file selected for playback, the Hyperdeck should generate the appropriate signal on the SDI outputs ABCD. If the file is 1080p60 the SDI output would be on connector A. If it is 2160p30 it would on all the four output connectors ABCD.

I work on encoders capable of ingesting different formats/standards. So I use the Blackmagic for feeding the encoders. I do not expect the requested features to be that costly. As mentioned before, the AJA Ki Pro Quad does all of this.

If the SSDs are hot pluggable, it is good. I just took the precaution of powering down before unplugging.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed May 27, 2015 10:13 am

I did some productions with Hyperdeck Studio where I start with one SSD (for defined recording on this one). A few minutes before the SSD is full I insert the new empty one and when the first is full and record has switched to the new SSD, I removed the full SSD - all witout any problems.

The same, when I seach original files: instert SSD, seraching, remove, next SSD....

Maybe BM did the restictions to have no problems when connecting to ATEMs ? A "clear" BM Studio environment with one defined production format....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Return to Off-Topic