What's next for BMD?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Donnell Henry

What's next for BMD?

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 1:36 am

What's next for BMD?. What do you think Bmd will come up with by NAB 2016. . We can place some friendly wagers as well :) Who knows maybe your comments will inspire BMD to produce one of the ideas you come up with here on the Forum. lets have some fun.

1. My guess for next year is a 27 Inch 4K Color/Colour grading monitor, calibrated for uses with Davinci resolve
GODS CREATE

Daryl Gregory

Re: What's next for BMD?

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:07 am

Donnell Henry wrote:What's next for BMD?. What do you think Bmd will come up with by NAB 2016. . We can place some friendly wagers as well :) Who knows maybe your comments will inspire BMD to produce one of the ideas you come up with here on the Forum. lets have some fun.

1. My guess for next year is a 27 Inch 4K Color/Colour grading monitor, calibrated for uses with Davinci resolve

I highly doubt they would make a color grading monitor, but who knows?
I think they are making some CFast card reader now,
but I would like to see them compete in the "High Speed Camera Market" eventually,
Yes that is my dream an affordable High Speed Camera like the Phantom :D

UPDATE: Sorry this is what I glanced at and thought BMD was making
http://www.adorama.com/BMWSWACR01.html

David Peterson

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:36 am

I expect/hope they'll be making a 4K recorder.
Perhaps a BMD VA v2?
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Troy Turner

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:39 am

David Peterson wrote:I expect/hope they'll be making a 4K recorder.
Perhaps a BMD VA v2?

Ditto

David Peterson

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:50 am

My dreaming in the skies hope is they make an URSA Micro, which is even smaller (and cheaper??) than an URSA Mini. Make it C100 size, or even a bit smaller.

As the URSA Mini is more comparable to a C300 in size, which when I've used it I've found it to be just too big for my tastes C100 is about the biggest I'm comfortable going up to.

I won't even mind if it just has the same sensor and FPS in it as the BMPC4K, so long as it has XLR, ND filters, m4/3 mount, and I'll put an EVF on it.
Last edited by David Peterson on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:52 am

A new "universal" 1080p OLED EVF, very similar to the URSA EVF, but designed for use with most HD/4K cameras with SDI or HDMI outputs. Slightly different physical design to allow for flexible mounting. If not announced until NAB 2016, then will probably be able to have a lower than $1.5K list price, too. (Although I'm tempted to use an URSA EVF with my BMPC-4K as-is.)

A new, small, 3D LUT box for use with SDI & HDMI monitors. With a USB port for loading LUTs from Resolve, and for connecting a monitor calibration sensor. Could be powered by AC or battery, and sell for less than the unit they used to sell. If they made it so it could only load LUTs directly from a full version of Resolve, it would promote sales of their software/cameras.

A new URSA Micro 4.6K camera. Slightly smaller than the URSA Mini 4.6K, and stripped-down similar to the Micro Cinema camera, but include complete I/O. No built-in monitor, perhaps only 1 CFast 2.0 slot?, but lots of ports, mount points, and can be controlled by built-in buttons or external devices, including perhaps a new optional 5" or 7" touch screen monitor. The URSA Micro 4.6K would sell for less than the URSA Mini 4.6K.

A new UHD version of the Pocket Cinema camera, with the same sensor tech as URSA Mini 4.6K, but chopped-down to same S16 size as current pocket cam. Probably have to use CFast 2.0, but maybe not if only UHD up to 60p.

Three tiers of pre-configured Davinci Resolve PCs certified to run Resolve for HD-2K, UHD-4.6K, and 5K-8K timelines. Windows OS. Users could use the machines as-is, or add 3rd party internal components such as RAM, GPUs, disks, etc. The base machines would be very competitively priced. BMD would make profit by selling hardware & software to run in/on/with the PCs.

Rafael Molina

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 4:49 am

Man... I really hope Blackmagic Design to start a high speed camera revolution. I'm not talking about 120fps or 270fps. I mean, a 1000fps or 1500fps capable machine. I'm sure Blackmagic will bring 5K to 8K resolutions with great dynamic range, eventually. I just hope they make a Blackmagic High Speed Cinema Camera, someday.
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 5:29 am

The longer you work on a product, the more evolutionary it becomes; the first couple of years, you can be revolutionary. BMD has been on a steady path moving their product lines to support 12G SDI and 4K high data rate 12bit codecs. It may get interesting if they moved the current Micro to 4K and they could well show an URSA Micro with integrated BMVF and touch screen monitor. You can't get too small without sacrificing something else such as high frame rates given BMD isn't going down a path that will compromise image quality. A company always has a set of core values if it is going to be successful. For BMD, there will be ever greater attention to quality and value, not features and convenience. There is no need in NAB 2016 to increase their photosite count if it means shrinking the size of the photosites or sacrificing dynamic range. So I don't see a 6K sensor in 2016 unless there is a significant change to the design performance of the photosites that could shrink the size while maintaining the DR and other fundamental features. Possibly in NAB 2017.

The speed of CFast 2 cards must get much closer to its theoretical maximum if 750MB/s read/write before BMD can move to 6K. Maybe BMD is aware of progress in that area as I would think they have dialogues with Lexar and possibly others.

There's always a chance they will move to new processors with less power draw and better performance but the goal will be to do more with less heat.

These would be very welcome developments down the path of evolutionary change.

What might really get the attention of NAB 2016 is a new product line. They might surprise everyone by offering true purpose-built cinema lenses at affordable prices. Could be primes, could be zooms, could be anamorphic lenses. Could be manual PL mount only. I know RED tried and really wasn't overly successful. But that's a lesson to be learned. It's not the electronic challenge they've enjoyed in the past, but it does embrace another core value of BMD, take a product traditionally priced for a market niche and make it available to many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rodolfo Navarrete

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 5:54 am

I think the most clear and immediate future having BM in the next 10 years is:

1) invest in developing sensors that can openly compete with the best companies.

2) invest in better components (chips, circuits, all inside camera).

3) Have a greater market presence in countries where it would be ok starting an exclusive service center, support.

4) Obviously think of 8, 12 and 16K, and as someone already mentioned, increasing the fps per camera that developed in the future, because it means the market value independent filmmakers and producers seek turn to studios and production more consolidated save costs in these times.

5) (So far and so utopic) Convert a BMPC 4k and BMCC in fetish objects with hacking improvements as a symbol of its first customers

Daryl Gregory

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 6:33 am

rick.lang wrote:The longer you work on a product, the more evolutionary it becomes; the first couple of years, you can be revolutionary. BMD has been on a steady path moving their product lines to support 12G SDI and 4K high data rate 12bit codecs. It may get interesting if they moved the current Micro to 4K and they could well show an URSA Micro with integrated BMVF and touch screen monitor. You can't get too small without sacrificing something else such as high frame rates given BMD isn't going down a path that will compromise image quality. A company always has a set of core values if it is going to be successful. For BMD, there will be ever greater attention to quality and value, not features and convenience. There is no need in NAB 2016 to increase their photosite count if it means shrinking the size of the photosites or sacrificing dynamic range. So I don't see a 6K sensor in 2016 unless there is a significant change to the design performance of the photosites that could shrink the size while maintaining the DR and other fundamental features. Possibly in NAB 2017.

The speed of CFast 2 cards must get much closer to its theoretical maximum if 750MB/s read/write before BMD can move to 6K. Maybe BMD is aware of progress in that area as I would think they have dialogues with Lexar and possibly others.

There's always a chance they will move to new processors with less power draw and better performance but the goal will be to do more with less heat.

These would be very welcome developments down the path of evolutionary change.

What might really get the attention of NAB 2016 is a new product line. They might surprise everyone by offering true purpose-built cinema lenses at affordable prices. Could be primes, could be zooms, could be anamorphic lenses. Could be manual PL mount only. I know RED tried and really wasn't overly successful. But that's a lesson to be learned. It's not the electronic challenge they've enjoyed in the past, but it does embrace another core value of BMD, take a product traditionally priced for a market niche and make it available to many.

No offense Rick but your post is "delusional" and that's me being sensitive
to members such as you who have contributed here much more than I ever could.

Blackmagic Design has only become relevant since it devoured and purchased Resolve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Vinci_Systems a hardware based color corrector.

That "Jumping Off Point" gave them some relevance in the world of Cinema and Cameras
since then it became "Software" based and no longer needed "Proprietary" expensive hardware to use it, Although in the true sense they still sell some hardware version and panels,
The new sales are now based solely on the new cameras they make and include it for free,
And that is one incredible sales strategy nobody can forget, or ignore.

Back on point I could never see BMD Making lenses, or anything they could not do better and cheaper
than the competition, Hence Davinci Resolve, And a New 4.6K High DR Sensor etc...

It's the bread and butter stuff they do best,
they do not brag about being better they just do it, and they do it cheaper.

That's what I like about BMD

Mark Davies

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 7:04 am

What I like about BMD is they use the latest current technology and make it available to the masses. My guess is whatever tech becomes available BMD will incorporate it Either as an upgrade or new model or something new and helpful It wouldn't surprise me to see a drone designed for the pocket cameras.

But there is a lot now to consolidate I'd like to see a cheap resolve workstation I wish they would give up on the edit side of it and concentrate their efforts into making resolve more compatible with NLE's or even create an NLE Then improving on grading LUTS's Tools that make life easier. Also I'd like to see better render options added to resolve for proxies

I'd like to see them open up the 3D world where there is massive opportunity for lower cost 3D modelling I use Cinema 4cd who bring out incremental improvements that leave you behind unless you pay extortionate amounts to their upgrades. I know there are cheap alternatives and some free but there is vast scope for profit here by making the latest tools available in a no nonsense compatible friendly package designed for the masses.
Mark Davies

Daryl Gregory

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 7:12 am

Mark Davies wrote:What I like about BMD is they use the latest current technology and make it available to the masses. My guess is whatever tech becomes available BMD will incorporate it Either as an upgrade or new model or something new and helpful It wouldn't surprise me to see a drone designed for the pocket cameras.

But there is a lot now to consolidate I'd like to see a cheap resolve workstation I wish they would give up on the edit side of it and concentrate their efforts into making resolve more compatible with NLE's or even create an NLE Then improving on grading LUTS's Tools that make life easier. Also I'd like to see better render options added to resolve for proxies

I'd like to see them open up the 3D world where there is massive opportunity for lower cost 3D modelling I use Cinema 4cd who bring out incremental improvements that leave you behind unless you pay extortionate amounts to their upgrades. I know there are cheap alternatives and some free but there is vast scope for profit here by making the latest tools available in a no nonsense compatible friendly package designed for the masses.

Sorry I had to quote your full post, but my main quote was about...
"they use the latest current technology and make it available to the masses"
That is a huge part of why they are leading in sensor and cooling tech for cameras
that cost us much less.
Simply put, you can not have a high DR sensor or a high FPS sensor without cooling it,
and the design and making of the 2.5K BMCC was genius from a heat dispersion point of view.
Although it was one ugly & awkward camera for a first try just look at what it can produce :mrgreen:

Joey Ardion

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 7:41 am

I can almost bet that we will see a 6k-8k camera to take on RED next year. Mark my words, its going to happen.

Mark Davies

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 am

Daryl Gregory wrote:
Mark Davies wrote:What I like about BMD is they use the latest current technology and make it available to the masses. My guess is whatever tech becomes available BMD will incorporate it Either as an upgrade or new model or something new and helpful It wouldn't surprise me to see a drone designed for the pocket cameras.

Sorry I had to quote your full post, but my main quote was about...
"they use the latest current technology and make it available to the masses"
That is a huge part of why they are leading in sensor and cooling tech for cameras
that cost us much less.
Simply put, you can not have a high DR sensor or a high FPS sensor without cooling it,
and the design and making of the 2.5K BMCC was genius from a heat dispersion point of view.
Although it was one ugly & awkward camera for a first try just look at what it can produce :mrgreen:

Why not use the light coming into the sensor to power it and the camera so the heat is minimised?

I disagree the camera is ugly but it is functional and more practical than the rest of the lineup It can be used with just a lens or built up to how you want it. The Ursa although has a nice screen is stuck with that screen Try getting it into a corner! Plus the additional weight The mini is still a lot longer than the BMCC and as of yet untested. Although the new cameras have a very nice 4.6k sensor is there a need for it Would have been better to jumped to 5 or 6K I think. Also the three extra stops are great, However the really big problem is the expensive CFast cards.
The cost of the mini Compared to the BM4K is double the price. I think the BM4K is still a major bargain and shouldn't be overlooked by looking at specs although the footage I've seen for the mini the DR looks amazing, Maybe some sour grapes on my part as the EF version will have a baggy mount that will be of little use to me! :D
Mark Davies

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Daryl, thanks for the feedback on my delusional comments. I'm sure your sentiments are shared by others. Certainly going after affordable purpose-built cinema lenses is very different than bringing speciality software to the masses. But, I didn't say to bring cinema lenses to the masses, just a broader audience, and by being affordable, I don't mean to imply it would be cheap. So hopefully I'm not quite as delusional as your reading of my suggestions for NAB 2016. I might have the year wrong, or just be completely wrong, but that's the risk in making predictions about revolutionary change. One usually looks foolish!

Rick Lang

Mark Hanlen

What's next for BMD?

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Let me add my opinion to the anecdotal evidence as why I bought a black magic pocket camera. I bought it for the image quality, size, and versatility. It had absolutely nothing to do with their software- which I currently don't use or need. I work in an industry where I use cameras often enough to be called a professional, but I have to wear many hats... So it's only a component to my profession... And not all I do. Most people here are 10x the videographer, editor, colorist that I am. Which is often evident by frequent elitist comments (about all those dslr idiots) in threads by those who only work in video and film. That said I'm one of the masses. I bought the camera to try working on video production on the side, and for my YouTube channel. The pocket camera is probably the best value for the money in an camera in its price range despite its limitations. It could be slightly more polished but it's all stuff I can live with. But it helps me improve my technique, and forces me to stumble through color correction.

And as far as where I work. Nope it's not about the software either. We own several thousand dollars worth of BMD sdi adapters, because they're one of the few players in town.
Last edited by Mark Hanlen on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Daryl Gregory wrote:Blackmagic Design has only become relevant since it devoured and purchased Resolve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Vinci_Systems a hardware based color corrector.

Umm,

no.

BMD have been have been turning this industry on its head for many years.

Capture cards and converters are still bigger business than cameras and Resolve.

They made FCP (and AE et al) happen the first time time around...literally. I used my first card made by Grant Petty back on V1.25 of FCP.

They made it possible to have a five thousand dollar capture card doing uncompressed SDI video when it was 80K+ to get a Media 100, Pinnacle WAVE or AVID that didn't even do uncompressed SDI. When they did that it was mind blowing. Then soon after they sold them for only one thousand bucks. You have no idea how revolutionary that was.

That has been happening for years. They have always kept in front of their other competitors and they are a large reason why FCP got to be as dominant as it was in professional circles.

And since acquiring Resolve, it's become a much much better product. The development cycle is much faster and more people use it today than ever before. When I first started using Resolve on V8 it was nearly incomprehensible complicated...almost deliberately so.

They haven't just ridden on the back of Resolve, they've driven it to become the great product it is today.

They have changed the positioning of Resolve to make it much much simpler and easier to use the same great base tool set.

Then they made it available for Mac and PC, and they made it so you could own what used to only work on Unix hardware and cost 250K+ cost only 1K or even a slightly de-featured version for free.

Those are not small steps. They are revolutionary.

It's not like they're new and turning things upside down. It's what they do period.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Donnell Henry

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 3:05 pm

I agree with JB's Comment, it is also why I started this thread. This company I feel listens to their customers and genuinely wants to change the game. As a camera company, they are revolutionizing the industry even arri is making cheaper models in smaller form factors.
GODS CREATE

Daryl Gregory

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 1:41 am

Donnell Henry wrote:I agree with JB's Comment, it is also why I started this thread. This company I feel listens to their customers and genuinely wants to change the game. As a camera company, they are revolutionizing the industry even arri is making cheaper models in smaller form factors.

I agree with JB also, who better to agree with :D ,
Another History lesson learned, Thank you John!
I would have liked this to have not been moved to off topic, since it just now got interesting,
Thanks to JB.

Daryl Gregory

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 1:44 am

rick.lang wrote:Daryl, thanks for the feedback on my delusional comments. I'm sure your sentiments are shared by others. Certainly going after affordable purpose-built cinema lenses is very different than bringing speciality software to the masses. But, I didn't say to bring cinema lenses to the masses, just a broader audience, and by being affordable, I don't mean to imply it would be cheap. So hopefully I'm not quite as delusional as your reading of my suggestions for NAB 2016. I might have the year wrong, or just be completely wrong, but that's the risk in making predictions about revolutionary change. One usually looks foolish!

Sorry Rick, delusional was a bad choice..Let me rephrase that, how about.. "good luck with that"? 8-)

Chad Capeland

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Some things posted here, like a CFast reader, 4K desktop display, or pre-configured PC's, are all things that the market is doing pretty well already. Could you do better? Sure, something like a Multidock for CFast would be cool, but it would be competing with 2 card docks costing $100. Same with a 4K display, the solutions out there that cost $1300 are amazing. And BMD doesn't sell direct, the resellers they use already put together pre-configured PC's.

Lenses seem crazy. Nothing in BMD's experience says "precision ground and coated glass".

So my humble bet is on mundane things...

I think a direct sales model, at least on software, coming. There's just too much money being lost there, and customers like convenience. For almost every other software, you can be up and running within 5 minutes of ordering on the website.

I think a CinemaDNG RAW recorder makes sense, too. Something like a Multidock with 12G-SDI input that would allow you to capture >11 minutes of HFR footage off your URSA. Right now pulling CFast cards, when they top out at 256GB, is a real pain, especially if you are shooting in a stereo or stabilized rig. If you could record to 4x 4TB drives, you'd have 32x the capacity of what an URSA can do now. Think Codex Vault, but with BMD components.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Donnell Henry

PostSun Jun 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Ok how about a wireless remote lanc controller from BMD ..
GODS CREATE

Return to Off-Topic