First Time Shooting with BMCC 2.5k - VFX Short

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Mark DePasquale

First Time Shooting with BMCC 2.5k - VFX Short

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 2:36 am

Hey everybody! I just finished up a video I shot and directed earlier this month. This was my first time working with one of Blackmagic's cameras (used the 2.5k Cinema Camera). I'd love to hear your guys' feedback as this was my first time working with a RAW workflow. Personally I loved the footage the camera produced (even though this is one of BMD older models now) and I was particularly impressed with how great the footage was for visual effects work. Previously I only worked with DSLR's so vfx compositing and image manipulation often yielded wonky results given the incredibly compressed files of DSLR's, even when working with hacks like Magic Lantern.

Give the video a look and hit me with any feedback you may have, visually, narratively, technically, whatever! I'm always looking to improve myself in any way possible, so your feedback is encouraged and greatly appreciated. If you have any questions about how we shot it/our workflow/the project in general don't hesitate to ask! And most importantly, I hope you enjoy the video!

VIDEO LINK IS IN MY SIGNATURE as I'm currently not allowed to post URL's since I'm new to these forums...So see below for video link

I wasn't sure what workflow would yield the greater final image results for the vfx shots. When I began the editing process I asked myself should I import the RAW DNG sequence into After Effects and composite using that? Or transcode the raw footage to ProRes 444 and then edit the vfx shots with the prores transcodes. I ended up doing the latter, knowing that the ability to utilize the raw data in Resolve during the color grade would be lost (perhaps there's a way to export out of After Effects that retains the raw metadata that I'm unaware of). Using the ProRes 444 clips in After effects and then exporting to ProRes 444 out of AE again yielded outstanding results. Incredible results actually. I was originally afraid that the shots would fall apart in Resolve since I wouldn't be able to link to the raw footage as I would with the non vfx shots, however I was remarkably impressed when I began the grading process and the vfx ProRes shots were of equal quality to the raw shots. The only real difference is that I couldn't alter and of the Camera Raw settings in Resolve. So now I guess I'm just curious if there are any noticeable quality improvements by working with the raw dng sequence in after effects from the get go rather than having the initial ProRes 444 transcode. If anyone's had any experience doing this workflow rather than mine I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdQJTuJXW8

Return to Off-Topic