Petition Started To Not Announce Cameras Till They Are Ready

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Braden Storrs

Petition Started To Not Announce Cameras Till They Are Ready

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 7:37 pm

I think this petition makes an excellent and very needed point. It really does damage people's trust when Blackmagic announces a camera to be available in a few months and it's not widely available till a year later. From my experience with other in the industry they lose a lot of business because of that. People end up going with an alternative. I'd get in and sign it. The message needs to be sent.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/grant-dont-you-dare-announce-any-new-products
Last edited by Braden Storrs on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Hessel

Re: Petition Started To Not Announce Cameras Till They Are R

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 8:09 pm

The biggest message you can send is not buying their cameras.
David Hessel

David Chapman

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 pm

HA!

I think BMD will decide how they want to announce cameras, no matter what kind of petition they get. And I don't believe they thought the 4.6 sensor would take this long. Hindsight is always 20/20, but they would do better to announce at NAB that the camera would be coming up the following year.

URSA MINI 4.6K - Coming 2016
URSA 4.6K - Coming 2016

See how I didn't add a month? ;)
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Paul Kapp

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 pm

The problem with this idea is, if a new camera was announced as shipping without warning, and I had just bought another one, out of date or of lesser specs, I would be spewing. This has happened to me a few times.
At least I know that eventually I'll get the fantastic UM 4.6K.

Braden Storrs

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Paul Kapp wrote:The problem with this idea is, if a new camera was announced as shipping without warning, and I had just bought another one, out of date or of lesser specs, I would be spewing. This has happened to me a few times.
At least I know that eventually I'll get the fantastic UM 4.6K.

Then announce it is in development. Don't go promising delivery dates or offering pre-orders when you can't FOR SURE deliver on time.

Dave Perry

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 5:04 am

Very nice! So you he is doing this petition out of the concern for BMD? I think it's fantastic that he has taken the time to do the research into BMB's financials to find out just how much business they have lost. How very altruistic and selfless he must be. We all need more people who are willing to create internet petitions for the good of corporate business all over the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

David Fernandes

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Wayyyyyy back in 2008, everyone thought RED was vapor ware. They were late shipping, promised the moon, etc etc. almost 10 years later they've hit their stride.

I'd say this to anyone upset about slipped shipping dates: don't expect anything but slipped shipping dates on a new product with a custom designed sensor. You'll get the camera when you get it. Don't plan your short film / commercial / whatever it is on using a camera that actually hasn't been released yet. Nobody wants BM to ship a half baked and buggy camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Off-Topic