Software Based Scan Converter for BMD devices - SDI Out

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

GallerySienna

Software Based Scan Converter for BMD devices - SDI Out

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Folks.

We recently shipped a product called NDI ScanConverter (http://sienna.tv/ndi) which is used to send OSX computer desktop through the NDI IP Video protocol. Some of the features include the ability to select a single window to output, or even to select a crop area on the screen to zoom into on the output - so its quite different to simply taking an HDMI out of a display adaptor. It also manages output of Audio. A good example would be to select an area of webpage and present that on the SDI out - without using a fullscreen mode.

Later we realised that this functionality might also be useful for BlackMagic Users, but instead of NDI, to send the desktop directly out of the SDI output, including embedded audio. Since 90% of the work was already done for the NDI ScanConverter, this new application 'SDI ScanConverter' is already finished

The software should work with all BMD interfaces, so far tested with DeckLink DUO2 on MacPro and UltraStudio Mini Monitor on MacMini.

I wanted to ask the forum about their interest in SDI ScanConverter, and get any feedback on additional features or applications for this product.

I have embedded a screenshot which shows how the software interface is setup, and the various options. If anyone has any comments, suggestions or otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tom_Bassford

Re: Software Based Scan Converter for BMD devices - SDI Out

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am

This would be great if it can do a smooth framerate with low latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Evan Daum

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I like the idea of displaying a single application. Does this extend the desktop or only mirror / partial mirror?

Peter Aellig

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 pm

if it would extend as second screen and or i can choose parts of both, i would buy it immediately!

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Syphon support would be cool too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

GallerySienna

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 am

Evan Daum wrote:I like the idea of displaying a single application. Does this extend the desktop or only mirror / partial mirror?

In Window mode It basically pulls the content of the window out of the display system. This even shows window content when the window is covered up.

However, in window mode, certain types of content don't show up - for example hardware accelerated video. So, there is the display mode where you show the screen, or a cropped area of it, and that does include the hardware accelerated portion but depends on that part of the window being visible.

GallerySienna

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am

Peter Aellig wrote:if it would extend as second screen and or i can choose parts of both, i would buy it immediately!

It doesn't extend the screen area. I haven't tried showing a window which is across multiple displays, but I suspect it wouldn't work. Will give that a try today.

GallerySienna

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 9:02 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:This would be great if it can do a smooth framerate with low latency.

Latency is low. Will do some tests on Framerate, but it depends alot on the power of the computer and (I suspect) the performance of the graphics card, plus how big an area you are pulling from the display system.

Perhaps we will make a demo version next week so you can give it a try.

Tad Errey

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Very interesting product.

I think the holy grail here would be if you can get Powerpoint / Keynote to give you the necessary opacity information to create the alpha key. I'm happy to use HDMI out for my fill, but to have the key on an accompanying SDI output would be next-level. It would also make your product very competitive as clients wouldn't need packages like ProPresenter and its expensive alpha-keyer module (I mean no disrespect to RenewedVision here - sometimes you just want keyed text without all the rest!).

It also means you could use more affordable single channel SDI output devices such as the Mini Monitor.

I realise that assumes there is something in how Powerpoint / Keynote displays transparency that your software/driver could read, which may well not be the case.

Definitely worth looking in to, if you haven't already.

GallerySienna

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 pm

For anyone interested in Sienna's SDI ScanConverter, the price has just been reduced on the app store to $45 USD. There is a demo version at the website http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/sdi-scanconverter.html:

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 8:50 am

Will take a look on this :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 11:14 am

Demoversion does launch when I don't connect my ultrastudio 4k, if I connect the program crashes upon launch, doesn't even show the window just crash.

I'm on OS x 10.13.3 high sierra
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

GallerySienna

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am

IsseSwe wrote:Demoversion does launch when I don't connect my ultrastudio 4k, if I connect the program crashes upon launch, doesn't even show the window just crash.

I'm on OS x 10.13.3 high sierra

please contact support@gallery.co.uk

IsseSwe

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Now it's working, and it's brilliant! Works sooo good :-) This will make a huge complement to my rig as now I can incorporate what ever I want, great stuff and the best customer support once we got time to go through it all.

Higly recommended!

As a note, Hyperdeck Studio Pro have thunderbolt but only works a capture device, the same with Ultrastudio mini recorder - these are only input devices.
The Ultrastudio 3 Extreme, Ultrastudio 4K (both input/output devices) and Ultrastudio mini monitor are a plain output device, these will do the trick :-)

Return to Off-Topic