Taranis Remote SBUS Control

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Christoph Thalinger

Taranis Remote SBUS Control

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Hey guys :)

so I have just received my new Taranis X9D-plus: really excitedImage

Does anyboday out there have a functional setup with the Taranis, and like to share how its done!?
I managed to set up the channels. But the only controller which works properly with the assigned task like focus or iris is the left joystick up/down.

Problem:
If I set up the gain or shutter to, lets say, S1 (left upper potentiometer) the values do not change properly. Do you have any suggestions of how to set them up?

Some usefull basic tutorials I found:
* Setup receiver X8R

* Basics for Taranis X9D

Thx & greetings from Austria :D

Further Links: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49904&p=289021&hilit=taranis#p288568

Christoph Thalinger

Re: Taranis Remote SBUS Control

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Remote Update:

Hello Forum, I just played around with my new Taranis...
So first i connected my receiver to the remote (previous posting)
Then I started to add different funcions to different buttons and triggers:

Iris:
I set the iris to Ch1 on my remote and assigned it to the left joystick. (Value -100 to 100 works)
Focus:
I set the focus to Ch2 and to the S2 potentiometer (same as iris, it works with the value -100 to 100)
Gain:
I set the gain to Ch4 and to the S1 poti. For this i set the values down to 0 to 10 as it seems that the value changes on 5. Additional to that I made a so called "Special Function" on the remote where i override the value of Ch4 when pressing down the left "SE" trigger. (override value to 1)
Shutter:
I set the shutter to Ch5 and assigned it to the right joystick L-R (Value Weight -2 and Offset 4)
Additional to the Joystick i also made a special function to override Ch5 with the value 6 when the trigger SH is pressed down.
WhiteB.:
I did the same with WB on Ch6
Additional to the Joystick i also made a special function to override Ch6 with the value 6 when the trigger SF is pressed up.

Hope I could help ;) If you have any additional questions, let me know I try to help you out.
Greetings,
Christoph
Attachments
specialfunction.jpg
Special Functions
specialfunction.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 5603 times

Chris Watling

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your post. I wonder if you have any information regarding audio level control over s-bus?

I've just started looking into this and am hoping to find a way of mounting a small potentiometer (probably) on my camera rig for this purpose - connected to micro cinema camera directly via s-bus expansion cable... So no wireless transmission involved as in your example.

As you've clearly done some research into the subject I'm hoping that you might know whether this sounds possible or not.

Many thanks
Chris

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say 'directly' I'm talking about using an arduino... but no wireless radio connections. I've actually got a servo sketch working with the audio levels since writing this, but it's only adjusting the internal microphone level rather than the channel 1 & 2 inputs - contrary to what BM tech support are telling me it should do... If anyone's in a position to test out which audio levels they are seeing adjust over the expansion port, I'd be very grateful.

Christoph Thalinger

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello Chris!

For my project, I have no audio, sorry.
Have you already changed your input? Sometimes it does that automatically. (image) Also check the SBUS channels in the "Remote" menue. Try to change them to some other values.
Test:
Try if it safes the setting after powering down and removing the battery.
Hook up a monitor to the camera. Check the audio levels and then hook up the microphone. Check if the levels have changed. Try to use a microphone with a battery or just a small one from a headset.

I try to test it aswell and let you know if I find anything.

All the best & good luck,
CT
Attachments
audio_menue_BMD.JPG
audio_menue_BMD.JPG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 5496 times

Chris Watling

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi Christian,

The only thing there that I haven't tried - is using different microphones. Currently I have a Wooden Camera 'A-Box' (DSLR 3.5mm) connected up, and a Sennheiser XLR mic (battery powered) connected to that. The mic is working properly and I can alter the channel levels in the menu - it's just that the expansion control is only adjusting the 'microphone' (internal) level in the menu, regardless of the menu options selected.

I have a support call open with BMD at the moment with this - they've already told me that the expansion port should be controlling the channel, or 'input' levels. I've told them that it's not, I'll report back on the outcome for anyone else that's interested.

It's a shame because I've just got an arduino/potentiometer working to control this really nicely, it won't be any use if it can't control the external audio level...

I'll see if I can get my hands on another microphone - but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to help.

All the best

Geoff Spanner

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 am

Hello Christoph,
Could you explain how you got record to work over s.bus. I can get record going in ppm, but no record in bus. Thanks
Geoff

Christoph Thalinger

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Hello Geoff!

In my setup I did not have a rec.function. I am using the micro cinema 4k. This camera has no internal memory. As a result there is no rec button. Sorry if I couldn't help.

All the best,
Christoph

Tilo Wiese

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 7:57 am

Hello Geoff,

Just in case you are still struggeling with the Record option. I spent some time to find out how this camera is working and what is expected in combination with Taranis and SBUS. Christoph also gave me some great hints to get rid of all my issues with this setup ;)

For the Record function (as well as for Shutter, ISO, White Balance) The camera is expecting a switch with a zero position of 4. If you toggle up or down it will switch reliable in the desired direction.
So you need to set up a offset of 4.

For the Iris, Focus, Levels it expect absolute positioning. So you can put this functions easily to a potentiometer. Otherwise you can create a potentiometer with a switch.
I will share later on my settings and configuration file.

Last option I need to setup is zoom, but i guess this should also work with the magic offset of 4.

regards,
Tilo

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Zoom should be an absolute positioning value like focus, so a Pot works best here, but it can be toggled also, at least on the SBus remote I have it can.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tilo Wiese

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am

For me Zoom doesn't work absolute.
I can zoom in and zoom out as long as I press the button (move the slider from a poti).
I case somebady made it happen to use a poti to zoom absolute please share the used lens.
I'm using a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm. At least this thing doesn't seem to know it's zoom position.

Iris and Focus are absolute, Guess Audio Level as well

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 am

You may be right about the Zoom, in that the less expensive EZ zooms do not know the zoom position per se. :roll:
I will check this out, thanks. :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jorge Simão

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Tilo Wiese wrote:For me Zoom doesn't work absolute.
I can zoom in and zoom out as long as I press the button (move the slider from a poti).
I case somebady made it happen to use a poti to zoom absolute please share the used lens.
I'm using a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm. At least this thing doesn't seem to know it's zoom position.

Iris and Focus are absolute, Guess Audio Level as well

Hello!
I know it's been a few years.
Any resolution on using the Lumix PZ 14-42mm with sbus?

I'm using the same setup. Taranis plus with x8R receiver and BMMCC with the 14-42mm.

Thanks!

Return to Off-Topic