mac pro alternative

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

mac pro alternative

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 am

Hello,

Im working for a small company with 2 mac pro systems and 2 imacs. so i guess we're pretty much apple-oriented. Since a few weeks I'm slowly i need of an upgrade of one mac pro setup. But since apple doesn't communicate at all when it comes to future products, i'm sort of leaning towards a windows system since the current mac pro is kind of outdated for the (huge) price. However, the pro's of a mac system (bought at a local reseller) are for the most people here too good to let go. they are very user-friendly, and If something is wrong with the systems, it's just one simple call to the reseller and they'll fix it. And thats pretty important since we aren't that technical. They also have the knowledge and experience with audio and video editing software so thats a big plus.

I can't really find something similar with a windows machine.

I was wondering if there are people with windows machines with this kind of service. (i live in the netherlands btw)

Denny Smith

Re: mac pro alternative

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Have you looked at the new IMac 4K to replace,the Mac Pro until the new model is released? It will run Reolve and edit up to 4K video. Yiu can add a Thudnerbolt RAID drive setup for file storage, too.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Francois Dompierre

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Upgrading your classic (older) Mac Pro's is a great way to go, too, and a very popular option. We have an upgraded classic Mac Pro as well as a maxed out late 2015 iMac and the Mac Pro is much faster. That being said, the iMac does the job problem very well if you don't need a lot of nodes or noise reduction, and if you optimize your media that's too demanding to decode. As for PC, I would go with an HP workstation, the one recommended by BlackMagic, since you want service and dependability (over the cheaper price of a custom built system.)
François Dompierre
Senior Colorist @ yakoul & loukay
Montréal, Canada

2019 Mac Pro 24-core | 96GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 64GB
macOS 10.15.4 | Resolve Studio 16.2

Francois Dompierre

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm

What part of your current Mac Pro is starting to feel slow / be frustrating? What CPU and GPU do you have?
François Dompierre
Montréal, Canada

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 7:09 am

thanks for the tips.
My macpro is freezing a few times almost every day. Also, 4k isnt really possible to edit smoothly so i never really do it, but i feel like its getting more common every day (still not the standard though). Also, a few functions in resolve (like temperal NR) is super slow or it bugs heavily with weird colors (hard to explain). Upgrading the old mac pro does sound good though. i looked up some websites but i couldnt really find any with clear instructions/parts to upgrade. it feels a little ''hacked''. Do you have a websites/shops wich you can recommend?

Francois Dompierre

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 pm

These guys are great and very friendly. You can send them your MacPro for upgrades, or buy one from them.
https://www.ipowerresale.com

For GPU, these guys are the best:
http://www.macvidcards.com
François Dompierre
Montréal, Canada

Return to Off-Topic