Continues Camera Operation When Battery Is Removed?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Baptiste Carrara

Continues Camera Operation When Battery Is Removed?

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 pm

One of the nice things RED cams has is the Red Volt. Have to hand it to them, being able to switch V-Mounts and not having to turn the camera off and on is a nice little time saver.
The Ursa Mini doesn't have this feature, but would a battery like this be a solution:
PAGlink PL96e 14.8V V-Mount Lithium-Ion Battery
(You can find it on B & H, stupid forums not liking URL links...)

If so, can you only then stack other PAG batteries, or can I stick a PAG directly to a Ursa Mini and then a higher capacity V mount, and just switch that when I need to, basically leaving the PAG plugged in and charging all day off the other V Mount.

Are there other similar options? The PAG is a nice 96Wh but I wouldn't mind having something smaller like a 20Wh even if it means it's a lot slimmer inbetweener between the Ursa and V Mount.

Thoughts?
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Denny Smith

Re: Continues Camera Operation When Battery Is Removed?

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 am

According to B&H, yiu can only,link the PAG batteries together, does not look like its compatible with other V-mount batteries. But it does sound like you could use up to three PAG batteries together, or just two, and chamge out the outboard battery when it gets low, to have continuous recording.

Also, you could just use a larger battery connected to the Ursa/Mini via the 4-pin power XLR and do the same thing with any V mount battery. When the V-mount gets low, or,it is removed the camera will switch to the XLR connected battery while changing the rear mounted V Battery. But changing batteries while you are rolling, could cause some unwanted camera movement.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Baptiste Carrara

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 12:58 am

Denny Smith wrote:According to B&H, yiu can only,link the PAG batteries together, does not look like its compatible with other V-mount batteries. But it does sound like you could use up to three PAG batteries together, or just two, and chamge out the outboard battery when it gets low, to have continuous recording.

Mhm, I couldn't find that on the site. Thanks for the info, that's a shame.

Denny Smith wrote:Also, you could just use a larger battery connected to the Ursa/Mini via the 4-pin power XLR and do the same thing with any V mount battery. When the V-mount gets low, or,it is removed the camera will switch to the XLR connected battery while changing the rear mounted V Battery. But changing batteries while you are rolling, could cause some unwanted camera movement.

Yeah I was trying to avoid having a battery plugged both into the XLR and the V mount slot. Oh well. I'm surprised no one has made a solution like PAG but that accepts other batteries...

Yes I understand there would be shake, but the idea would be lets say for an interview where you don't want to take and re-slate for sound, so during a quick break just swap batteries. Or on set even, ever second you can safe of not having to wait for the cam to turn off and back on adds up.

Thanks for the info.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Denny Smith

Re: Continues Camera Operation When Battery Is Removed

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 7:11 pm

IDX or Bebob had a stackable V mount battery the was stackable a few years ago. You could change the outboard battery while the inboard one ran the camera. A similar idea to the PAG battery.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Anton Bauer QR-HOTSWAPGM Hot-Swap Battery Plate - for Anton Bauer Gold Mounts

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Plate.html

Anton_Bauer.jpg
Anton_Bauer.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Baptiste Carrara

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:Anton Bauer QR-HOTSWAPGM Hot-Swap Battery Plate - for Anton Bauer Gold Mounts

Anton_Bauer.jpg

That's actually really cool and clever. Sadly I'm a V Mount kinda guy and not a Gold Mount guy :(
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 1:52 am

Baptiste Carrara wrote:
Leon Benzakein wrote:Anton Bauer QR-HOTSWAPGM Hot-Swap Battery Plate - for Anton Bauer Gold Mounts

Anton_Bauer.jpg

That's actually really cool and clever. Sadly I'm a V Mount kinda guy and not a Gold Mount guy :(

You have my condolences :cry: .
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Baptiste Carrara

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 4:53 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:
Baptiste Carrara wrote:

Anton_Bauer.jpg

You have my condolences :cry: .

Ouch!
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 am

found this

V-MNT HOTSWAP ADAPTER

"The Switronix GPTS is a "hot swap" power adapter that mounts directly to your existing V-plate. Batteries are mounted side by side, so you can easily remove the depleted battery while leaving the other battery connected so there is never any down time. The GP-TS is outfitted with a 2-pin power port so that you are not limited to the cameras' own connector."

http://www.switronix.com/products?page= ... gory_id=42

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _Swap.html

Switronix_GP_TS_GPTS_V_Mount_Hot_Swap_1360079121000_359201.jpg
Switronix_GP_TS_GPTS_V_Mount_Hot_Swap_1360079121000_359201.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 4863 times

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 am

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... details&Q=

http://blueshape.net/index.php/products ... quick.html

"BLUESHAPE's V-Mount Hot Swap Adapter stays attached on your camera at all times and provides 10-15 minutes of power when you swap batteries. Featuring a V-mount on both sides, it sandwiches in between your camera's V-mount plate and your battery. Also featuring a P-Tap port, it altogether allows for uninterrupted power to the camera and an essential accessory.
As soon as a new battery is attached, the adapter automatically recharges itself and then stays ready for your next swap. Standard V-mount chargers can also be used.
The adapter also supports data communication from attached batteries to your camera for all batteries with the BLUESHAPE protocol."

Blueshape V mount Hot Swap Adapter.jpg
Blueshape V mount Hot Swap Adapter.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 4860 times

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Nice find Leon, I like the second option you posted, like a small battery sandwiched in between camera and main battery, but a bit pricey! However, this would help balance a Ursa Mini on the shoulder, when you need more weight aft.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Baptiste Carrara

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1061804&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr7S-BRD96_uw9JK8uNABEiQAujbffP_s7gZul8_XopqCk8jX10BUlPCKbKXd6k4xe8i6HHwaAh-J8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

http://blueshape.net/index.php/products ... quick.html

"BLUESHAPE's V-Mount Hot Swap Adapter stays attached on your camera at all times and provides 10-15 minutes of power when you swap batteries. Featuring a V-mount on both sides, it sandwiches in between your camera's V-mount plate and your battery. Also featuring a P-Tap port, it altogether allows for uninterrupted power to the camera and an essential accessory.
As soon as a new battery is attached, the adapter automatically recharges itself and then stays ready for your next swap. Standard V-mount chargers can also be used.
The adapter also supports data communication from attached batteries to your camera for all batteries with the BLUESHAPE protocol."

Blueshape V mount Hot Swap Adapter.jpg

Yes this is brilliant and just what I was hoping for! The other option you posted above works great too but having 2 full sized V mount batteries will add a lot of weight but this shouldn't be too bad.
What a wonderful find.

The one thing I am curious about is that it says "data communication from attached batteries to your camera for all batteries with the BLUESHAPE protocol", I can only assume that means I will only get proper reading on battery level on the camera from other BlueShape batteries. Which locks me into that brand. I wonder if it's true that data communication only works across same brand. Have you guys used BlueShape batteries?
If so, your first choice should hypothetically be able to give data so that will work fine too.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 1:11 am

[/quote]
Baptiste Carrara wrote:The other option you posted above works great too but having 2 full sized V mount batteries will add a lot of weight but this shouldn't be too bad.

It is my understanding that you can have one battery on the camera at a time and only add the second battery just before you do the swap then remove the used battery.

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 1:12 am

Denny Smith wrote:Nice find Leon, I like the second option you posted, like a small battery sandwiched in between camera and main battery, but a bit pricey! However, this would help balance a Ursa Mini on the shoulder, when you need more weight aft.
DS

I agree it is pricey, but an interesting concept.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 5:02 am

Yes, yes it is, indeed!.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Baptiste Carrara

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 1:55 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, yes it is, indeed!.
Cheers

Thank you both Leon Benzakein and Denny Smith for your time and resource. When the time comes now I know what options to pick. appreciate it a lot.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 2:36 pm

[/quote]Thank you both Leon Benzakein and Denny Smith for your time and resource. When the time comes now I know what options to pick. appreciate it a lot.[/quote]

Glad I could help.
Cheers!

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 am

Ditto, and good luck.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Off-Topic