This is complete RUBBISH

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Akpe Ododoru

This is complete RUBBISH

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 11:06 pm

This is complete RUBBISH and is really pissing me off now :(
How can you release an update for the 4k video assist and not the 5" one.
Many of us bought the 5" video assist and now BM is not even saying anything about a firmware update.
For long we've been asking for updates and receive no response.

Communication skills between BM and their customers are by far the worst ever. You give a date on when you want to release certain cameras and a year and half later MOST people haven't received it still. You don't even communicate with your representatives let alone individuals.

No one knows why you guys only ship ONE Ursa mini 4.6k to the whole of the Uk every 3 month, or why there is no update for the 5" video assist, or even the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera.
Those with the big Ursa would wait till thy kingdom come before they get any reply from you guys let alone 4.6k sensor.

Am really beginning to thank God i haven't gotten any of your cameras now, as my biggest fear is when stuff goes wrong (which has happened with the few that has them) you guys will NEVER be there for me.

Very very UNPROFESSIONAL of you guys :(

You guys need to FIX up
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Gene Kochanowsky

Re: This is complete RUBBISH

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 1:57 am

Akpe, you have to understand that any announcement or schedule from BM is aspirational and not informational. I've come to realize the BM means well, but couldn't manage a project properly to save their lives. Still, I love their products and see all this as an unfortunate and annoying quirk which there is nothing for. You just have to ignore it because complaining about it has no discernable effect whatsoever.

Good luck with expecting anything else from BM. I do hope that one day they will get project management and better align their aspiration with their information.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 am

Both the 5-inch VA and the Micro Cinema camera have all ththe features they were list d as having when they were placed on the market.

The 5-inch VA received two updates shortly after release to fix a bug issue and add new features to improve its use as a monitor, in addition to being a recorder. A full featured monitor it is not, but it has the basics to get the job done. I and quite a few others have been asking about the ability to adjust the tint to removed the green bias, or have BM reduce the green bias of the monitor with a FW update. Neither has happened.

Now with some new features, including false color and screen rotation lock added to the VA 4K, perhaps some of these features will trickle down to the 5-inch VA. I got a Video a Devices PixE after trying to use the VA 5-inch with the Micro Studio camera, (I wanted to be able to record fill UHD too), and this was the right choice for me, I got a full featured monitor with scopes, exposure aids, a full 4K recorder, and full audio recording support, something both VAs lack.

The original Ursa is in the same boat, taking second seat to the Mini, while BM sorts out their new FW/OS for the Ursa's, applying it first to the new Mini, and adding it to the big Ursa, once it is firmed up and a final release is made. Same could be true for the 5-inch VA, waiting to see how it works on the newer 7-inch VA 4K.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joey06

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 8:13 am

I completely agree with you Akpe. The 5 inch Video Assist is the first hardware product I have bought from Blackmagic and I have been very unimpressed with their customer service. I have hardly used my Video Assist because of the green tint. I contacted Blackmagic about the tint and was referred to their distributor for my country. The distributor inspected my unit and said that there was a difference in colour compared to their test unit, but they said that this was acceptable. I was told that Blackmagic were working on a colourmetrics update for the Video Assist before they inspected my unit, but afterwards I was told that there was no guarantee of this happening anymore.

It seems that Blackmagic simply don't care about the 5 inch Video Assist anymore now that there is a more expensive version. Their products are just not reliable in my opinion. It amazes me how anyone can trust them enough to buy one of their cameras. I was considering an URSA Mini before I got the Video Assist. Definitely dodged a bullet there.

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 am

I have to jump in here because my after sales experiences don't mirror that at all.

I received my UM4.6k April. Discovered a phantom power audio problem - well known and documented in the early models. When I had a window in my shooting schedule, contacted BM service and, with no stress, sent the camera off and had it back within a week all fixed.

Previously one of my pocket cameras - despite using a connector lock - failed on the HDMI out. BM replaced the whole camera. No stress.

After two years of regularly using their camera gear, I actually think they are the best bang for buck camera equipment manufacturers out there.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Donnell Henry

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 11:07 am

I'll also echo Tristan as well I had the bmpc4k out of warranty by 2 weeks and they exchanged it for a brand new one because it had some FPN. I've always had good experiences with them
GODS CREATE

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Ditto, I had an issue with mymVA 5-inch, one of the first ones released, got a BM RMA, and with in one week had a new one back, issue resolved. My first one was very green, and had a spot in it, the replacement has less green tint issue and no light spot. Great service!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Akpe Ododoru

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Am just so pissed of that BM would take the time to release firmware for the 4k VA and INTENTIONALLY refuse to support those of us that invested in the 5 inch VA. It just doesn't make sense at all.

Really how hard is it to develope a firmware that allows me control the auto flip screen? To now add insult to injury, they intentionally decided to develope a firmware but only gave it to does that bought the 4K VA.

A bloody piss take
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Joey06

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 12:34 am

Denny Smith wrote:Ditto, I had an issue with mymVA 5-inch, one of the first ones released, got a BM RMA, and with in one week had a new one back, issue resolved. My first one was very green, and had a spot in it, the replacement has less green tint issue and no light spot. Great service!
Cheers

This raises another concern for me. Their quality control is terrible. Some people have light green tint, some have major green tint. It's just not good enough...

Return to Off-Topic