How to cool down Titan X in a MacPro5,1?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Seth Goldin

How to cool down Titan X in a MacPro5,1?

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 10:46 pm

I have a MacPro5,1 with a Titan X from MacVidCards that I believe is heating my other PCIe cards to temperatures above their maximum operating temperatures.

My computer is a 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon MacPro5,1.

This is actually my second 10 GbE NIC. Before the SmallTree NIC, I had an ATTO NT12 FastFrame. Without any knowledge of how hot the Titan X was getting, I was frustrated that the ATTO NIC kept disconnecting from my server. Thinking that the ATTO card was merely defective, I went to replace it with the SmallTree NIC. When I pulled the ATTO NIC out, I noticed that the ATTO NIC looked burnt. I didn’t think anything of it, because the SmallTree NIC was working well for a few days. Then, I started to notice similar disconnections to my server from the SmallTree NIC, just as the ATTO card had been disconnecting.

The heat from the Titan X also explains why I’d occasionally seen bizarre purple lines on my image image coming out of the DeckLink.

My hunch is that the Titan X has been consistently bringing the temperatures of the NIC, whether ATTO or SmallTree, and the DeckLink, above their intended maximum operating temperatures.
How can I keep all four PCIe cards in place and cool the Titan X down? I don’t have any slots available, so an extra fan for the Titan X that would take up a PCIe slot won’t do.

I saw that there’s a kit from EVGA to take off the shroud and add in water cooling, but given that this is a MacPro, I don’t know where I’d fit the radiator: http://www.evga.com/articles/00935/EVGA ... -X-HYBRID/

I suppose I could try to fit it on the side panel if I were make a custom side panel like this guy:

Please help!
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Jo Hermann

Re: How to cool down Titan X in a MacPro5,1?

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 11:43 pm

ever considered getting an PCI-extension? That'll do the job and additionally offers you... more PCI-slots :-) IMHO: worth the investment (running Cubix here, not affiliated though).
filter Media GmbH & Co. - Postproduction
Salzburg/Austria

shayanjameel08

Re: How to cool down Titan X in a MacPro5,1?

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 5:15 am

What a great tips and ideas to cool down , Thanks to add this .

Return to Off-Topic