BMPCC vs BMCC

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Peter Pavlov

BMPCC vs BMCC

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello everyone, i'm about to sell my BMPCC and buy a BMCC. Is there a real difference of image quality between FullHD and 2.5k?
Last edited by Peter Pavlov on Mon May 08, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

Re: mt BMPCC low pass filter has a scratch

PostFri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Hard to say, contact the BM Support office there as see what they say.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peterson

Re: BMPCC vs BMCC

PostWed May 17, 2017 10:20 am

Peter Pavlov wrote:Hello everyone, i'm about to sell my BMPCC and buy a BMCC. Is there a real difference of image quality between FullHD and 2.5k?

Don't do it!!

BMCC MFT is a step backwards in terms of body size (and the BMCC EF is a *big* leap backwards vs the BMPCC).

The next logical upgrade step would be to get a BMD Micro Cinema Camera. (in many ways it is like a polished and improved BMPCC, while still a BMPCC at its core).

Of course, the really big leap forward is to get a Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K (or even better, the Pro).

But that is a very big leap forward in cost and size (and you've got a heck of a lot of other strong competitors in that price bracket).

I'd just stay with your BMPCC for now? Is what I'm doing (although, I have a Sony PMW-F3 as well), unless the Micro magically goes on half price sale as well ;-)

If you want something "better" than a BMPCC but not at URSA Mini Pro / Sony FS5 / FS7 / new Panasonic Mini Varicam (or whatever they call it) / etc pricing, then you probably need to look outside BMD to maybe a Panasonic GH5? Or a secondhand FS700+Shogun combo.

But pickings are slim there to get something really a lot "better" than the BMPCC, as it is so good already! And something like a GH5 is half "better" and half simply "different", as a BMPCC still would have its fans over a GH5 in some cases (color/raw/dynamic range).
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Lee Gauthier

Re: BMPCC vs BMCC

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Peter Pavlov wrote:Hello everyone, i'm about to sell my BMPCC and buy a BMCC. Is there a real difference of image quality between FullHD and 2.5k?

This could be a very good choice for you, depending on what you're looking for.

The BMCC's 2.5K can be downsampled to 1920x1080, and the result will be softer with a little less noise. Also, you have a little cropping space for stabilizing, reframing or punching in at full res.

Many people say subjectively that the color science of the BMCC, combined with the 2.5K gives a better image than the Pocket. It's often described as a less harsh, more cinematic look.

Here are a lot of samples.

The BMCC is bigger, bulkier and less ergonomic. The SSDs required are more expensive than the Pocket's SD cards.

If you can swing it somehow, I recommend having both cameras.

Return to Off-Topic