Cineform Raw, opensource mean could be everywhere.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Cineform Raw, opensource mean could be everywhere.

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Ten years ago i was wondered by SI2K cameras, that sent a cineform raw flow between a simple rj45 lan connection to computer with mechanical HDD, and we record a dual 2k raw flow with 2009 computer ...
later Kineinfinity add CF raw, Dng like the way to record raw in their cameras.

I read a bit of papers of Newman from cineform, and it was born to require less power as possible to encode and decode datas, especially for raw.

Today i would like to find everywhere the FIRST DI of Digital video history (it was born before dnxhd and prores), and so flexible be cause now not require license to add to software and hardware.

Please could add to BMD cameras? Please could you add to VA, BMD recorder, BMD card in past use this codec, and more...
Please add VC5 (broadcast name) / Cineform in every hardware you produce, now is right time.

Denny Smith

Re: Cineform Raw, opensource mean could be everywhere.

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, I think Carols you are on to something here, and Cineform would be a good way to handle Raw from the Micro 4K Camera, that lacks the DNG format. The Micro4K outputs a packed Raw data format, that needs a recorder to unpack it and record to a Raw codec, like a Cineform. A new VA4K perhaps?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:32 am

There is another thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67349
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:34 am

Cineform is designed for lower processing. So, I'm wondering if it can enable fullhd 50fps on the pocket cinema camera, or 100fps on the micro, or even encoding on the studio?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Cineform is designed for lower processing. So, I'm wondering if it can enable fullhd 50fps on the pocket cinema camera, or 100fps on the micro, or even encoding on the studio?

why do you think that the sensor of pocket could resolve 50 fps at second?

Wayne Steven

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 am

I think the spec was 100fps or so.

There are various limitations, increased datarate of the increased fps of this sensor produces heat, probably a lot more. The FPGA computation also produces heat. But a more efficent codec can reduce that heat, allowing more heat from the sensor (I'm not saying the codec codec data rate/work needs to increase much, 50fps useful for sports action etc. 50fps is not even double 30fps, using extra wide windowing on the sensor to extra wide, will reduce the sensor datarate even further, to around 26% more than 16:9 30fps, that is not too much. Frankly, 16:9 is so poorly done in cinema these days, you might as well do 2.35:1 to get the extra screen width. However, if it's locked in camera it's locked.

Return to Off-Topic