Lightly used BMCC Available

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Scott Pultz

Lightly used BMCC Available

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Camera has been used only for a recent 17 day trip. Now I need to learn how to grade the footage :) Not taking any more photo trips for awhile.

Includes

BMCC (EF) with accessories, box, etc
Resolve (unopened)
Swiftronix Battery Pack and charger
Grid 5.0 ViewFinder (a must for outdoor use!)

**** SOLD ****
Last edited by Scott Pultz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamonB

Re: Lightly used BMCC Available

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 2:45 am

Interested! pls email at ramon(@)studiorbfilms.com. I'll check back

Scott Pultz

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 4:15 am

**** SOLD ****
Attachments
IMG_8572.jpg
IMG_8572.jpg (420.41 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
IMG_8578.jpg
IMG_8578.jpg (870.94 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
IMG_8554.jpg
IMG_8554.jpg (676.78 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
Last edited by Scott Pultz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterok

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 pm

hey scott,

Can you please give me some feedback on the usage while on the road. I hope im not hijacking this thread but i need an unbiased opinion. I am going on a 6 month journey in few month and still deciding between this and mark 3. ofcourse mark 3 is much more versatile but i just love the sharpness and DR of BMCC

How long does that battery last you? Any problems?
Did you shoot handheld all the time? Wasn't shaky?
How were low light situations handled?
How did you carry the camera, since it not the best form factor.
What kind of viewfinder is that? was it easy to use in regards to getting focus and exposure right?
What about harddrive space, did you have laptop with you?

Thanks a lot!

Scott Pultz

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 pm

masterok wrote:hey scott,

Can you please give me some feedback on the usage while on the road. I hope im not hijacking this thread but i need an unbiased opinion. I am going on a 6 month journey in few month and still deciding between this and mark 3. ofcourse mark 3 is much more versatile but i just love the sharpness and DR of BMCC

How long does that battery last you? Any problems?
Did you shoot handheld all the time? Wasn't shaky?
How were low light situations handled?
How did you carry the camera, since it not the best form factor.
What kind of viewfinder is that? was it easy to use in regards to getting focus and exposure right?
What about harddrive space, did you have laptop with you?

Thanks a lot!

No problem!

First of all, if you are shooting any video I wouldn't consider the 5D III over the BMCC unless maybe in extreme low light. The RAW codec is just amazing and you will never want to go back to an 8-bit baked in format like H264. I carried the BMCC along with my 6D. A heavy combo but worth it :)

-Internal battery lasts about 60-90 minutes I would guess. No problems whatsoever.

-I did not shoot handheld

-I did not shoot in low light

-I carried the camera in an F-Stop Satori bag within the protective ICU along with a rain cover over the entire bag to keep any dirt or dust out.

-It is a Grid 5.0. I only used the zebras to get the exposure correctly. Most of my focus was done by tapping into 1:1 or by the lens markings. 95% of my work was done at infinity focus and I knew where this stop was on my lens.

A view finder is essential if you want to see what you are doing outdoors. Otherwise you would need a way to shade the screen with a jacket or something.

I carried multiple Western Digital 2TB Drives with me and make copies of the footage across multiple drives. I expected to fill 6TB but ended up with just over 1TB in the end. Turns out that finding and capturing the footage took longer than I expected :)

masterok

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 pm

You carried tripod all the time with you? My style is mostly handheld, as I do with my 7D, I learned to hold camera very steady and do some pans and slides pretty steady. Would you say it will be a challenge to shoot this way with BMCC?

I might think of adding some kind of light tripod with slider to my kit.

Ok I got you on exposure with zebras, but what about focus? Lets say in my zacuto on 7D i can set focus with lense focus ring from nearly perfect to perfect. Just control depth of field with f-stop. It's not the case with BMCC? I didnt understand the 1:1 thing, also would you mind to elaborate on infinity focus use? I dont really want to think about all these markings when i need to get something in focus at that specific moment before its gone.

I plan to shooting in ProRes so 5 hours on 480Gb seems not bad.

Thanks again for your time.

Scott Pultz

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 pm

masterok wrote:You carried tripod all the time with you? My style is mostly handheld, as I do with my 7D, I learned to hold camera very steady and do some pans and slides pretty steady. Would you say it will be a challenge to shoot this way with BMCC?

I might think of adding some kind of light tripod with slider to my kit.

Ok I got you on exposure with zebras, but what about focus? Lets say in my zacuto on 7D i can set focus with lense focus ring from nearly perfect to perfect. Just control depth of field with f-stop. It's not the case with BMCC? I didnt understand the 1:1 thing, also would you mind to elaborate on infinity focus use? I dont really want to think about all these markings when i need to get something in focus at that specific moment before its gone.

I plan to shooting in ProRes so 5 hours on 480Gb seems not bad.

Thanks again for your time.

I carried a 3.2 pound tripod+head with me on my backpack. Lighter would have been nice, but it wasn't too bad. 3L of water... now that was heavy :)

When I said 1:1, I meant that I would zoom into the pixel level on the camera display. I was shooting landscapes so I didn't need to worry about my speed. My Sigma lens has markings for where the focus is, so I could just revert to these locations as needed.

I think that with a view finder and the focus peaking assist, you would be able to do your focusing handheld.

Return to Off-Topic