Blackmagic and Canon batts

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

JasonVoorhees665

Blackmagic and Canon batts

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 6:28 pm

I am just putting this out there. I really wish that BM used Sony NP-F batteries and not those terrible canon lp-e6 ones. Their pocket camera uses them and the two video assist recorders. High end Atomos uses Sony NP-F as do the low end Came-TV items.

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic and Canon batts

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Jason, the Picket Camera used Nikon Battery, even smaller. The Micro cameras were the first BM csmera to use LP-E6 batts, along with with Video Assists. The two were designed to be used together and this kept he battery type consistent. This was a step up from the small Nikon battery BM was using. The VAs follow the SmallHD 500 series monitors which also used LP-E6 batteries. The new Pocket 4K design does not lend itself to using Sony NP battery.

That said, I wish BM had used Sony NP batts on the Micro Cameras and VAs. SmallHD has switched to Sony NP on their new Focus Monitor Line, perhaps the next generation of VAs will get a similar battery upgrade. However, I think BM’s choice of using Canon LPE6 battery was due to part to thr wide availability of this battery world wide.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Also worth noting that Smallrig's $25 battery plate for the BMPCC (which can mount right on top of the camera, or on top of a cage, or on a tripod) allows you to power it with the Sony batteries. https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-dv-ba ... -1765.html
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 am

Also, the SmallHD Focus Monitor does the same, lowering both the camera and monitor from a Sony NP Battery.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Off-Topic