Product-specific forums

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Richard Crowley

Product-specific forums

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I would find it convenient to have product (or product-line) specific forums. Reason: When discussing technical details of specific devices, it would be easier for both the people asking the original question, and for for people coming afterwards to have information organized specifically for the device in question.

Searching depends on posters using uniform terminology to allow you to find messages, and browsing is already inefficient and will become nearly impossible as the volume of messages grows. Certainly, the current activity- and platform-specific forums have their place as well.

Example: I posted a specific question about compatible drives for my HyperDeck Studio, but it is buried in the "Getting Started" forum for lack of a more specific category.

Thanks for the terrific products, and now for this very helpful forum to support them.

Owner: ATEM 1M/E, ATEM TVS, HyperDeck Studio, and several mini-converters.

Richard Crowley

Re: Product-specific forums

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 am

Or how about a selectable menu of BMD products that you can identify which product is being discussed for easier referencing by others? A forum like this is of value in two important ways. First, as a place where questions (often FAQs) can be asked and answered. But second, as an archive of the questions, answers, and discussion for the immediate help of those with the same questions. Having some reliable way of indexing messages by product would be of great value, IMHO. Especially since BMD is buying companies left and right and branching into some very diverse areas and products.

Perry

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 3:47 pm

I agree about at least making product line-specific forums. As someone who has run several large message boards going back into the mid-90's, I can say that breaking things down too much can be just as messy, in different ways. But breaking it up by product line is a good happy medium.

In the mean time, regarding search, try using google instead of the search function on the forums. for example:

Code: Select all
site:forum.blackmagicdesign.com teranex 3D

this will use Google's engine to do the heavy lifting and look for all references to the teranex 3D (and will usually get you a better result than a forum's built-in search). The "site:" directive will limit the search to this forum. It's usually faster, too.

-perry
Perry Paolantonio
Gamma Ray Digital - 288 Walnut St Suite 105, Newton MA 02460
14k Film Scanning -- Color Grading -- Film Restoration
www.gammaraydigital.com

bobzelin

more sub headings needed

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm

in my opinion, it is difficult to navigate this site, trying to find the product that you are trying to research,
or ask questions about. The general - "production" or "post production" is in my opinion too general.
I don't think it would take much to have more categories - like "Decklink", "Ultrascope", "SmartView", etc.
like other user forums. And certainly, Resolve requires it's own heading. I think that this would be a great
improvement to this site.

thanks -
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Richard Crowley

Re: more sub headings needed

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 am

georgetsirogiannis

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm bringing this back since I was to open a topic regarding the categorization.

Maybe it would be great to have different sub-forums for each product. The volume of users should have doubled after BMD started manufacturing cameras (I can only guess since I am one of those people that came to the forum to keep up to date on cameras) and now the cinematography forum is a mess!

I think it would be very convenient to have different sub-forums on the different cameras, and a general one for more common topics, such as grading etc.

Thoughts, BMD forum managers? :)

PS. I'm talking about the Cinematography thread because that's the one I'm familiar with. I don't know if that applies to other forums.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Just mentioned this in another thread started by Baz. We're looking into this but a restructure is going to take some time. We're working on some ideas but we don't have a timetable for this as of yet.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

georgetsirogiannis

PostMon Oct 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Just mentioned this in another thread started by Baz. We're looking into this but a restructure is going to take some time. We're working on some ideas but we don't have a timetable for this as of yet.

I can imagine how much work it will be for you guys. But I think that by the end of the restructure process everything will be much neater. :)

Thomas Beck

PostTue Oct 15, 2013 8:16 pm

I would agree that the product line has grown enough that branching out the categories would not be a bad idea. Davinci needs one of its own. Event the atem line is getting crowded with the 4k products coming onboard.

Return to Off-Topic