mobile PC for data wrangling

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

ClarkSeverson

mobile PC for data wrangling

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 12:35 am

Does anyone have a recommendation on a mobile PC (Windows 10) that is good for wrangling data? So many of them emphasize RAM, CPU or gaming, which is all nice, but I am very concerned about portability & moving data to multiple connections.
Studio 18.5.1, MacOS 13.5.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
60 Core/128 GB RAM

Ocelot1111

Re: mobile PC for data wrangling

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Ockel Computers is doing some interesting things. I don't think much is available as they are doing kickstarter fundraising right now. But would a surface pro do? Ive see the surface being used on stills sets with C1PRO - but might all change once the iPad Pro accepts tether connections and external HDD.

StevenPorter

Re: mobile PC for data wrangling

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm experimenting with using my phone (LG V20) for this purpose. With a USB C to USB 3.0 hub, I can transfer data at about 100-120MB per second. My hub cost about $25 and has 3x full size USB 3.0 ports as well as another USB C so I can charge the phone and power the hard drives from AC power. Any modern Android should be able to do this no problem, so if you don't have one, a used phone could be much cheaper than a decent laptop.

Return to Off-Topic