Moza Air 2 - Toast

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Arild Danielsen

Moza Air 2 - Toast

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 am

I have been using the Moza Air 2 for almost two months, and it has proven reliable up until now (both with BMCC and DSLRs). There was a firmware issue when updating the follow focus through the mobile application, but that was solved thanks to another post in this forum (the producer also replied to my e-mail later on with the solution).

The other day I was out filming, nothing out of the ordinary, and after about an hour the unit shut down and instantly started smelling like burned rubber. I quickly removed the batteries from the handle. The distinctive smell of burned rubber originated from the controller (“behind” the display and joystick). Batteries seemed perfectly fine. The unit is completely dead. Since the motors are located further up, a wild guess is that it’s the power supply that’s toast.

The payload was way under the limit, just a DSLR with iFocus, so I find it hard to believe this is anything else than a faulty unit. What baffles me is that I have used it for numerous takes with the same setup and worked fine up until now.

I will return the gimball to the shop tomorrow and preferably get it replaced without any argument. I have found it very useful for takes on the go, so hopefully the fault is narrowed to this unit. The fact that it can overheat like this, however, is a bit worrying.

If anyone else has experienced this I’m keen to know…

Update: Replaced from the shop, great service at Scandinavian Photo, Oslo.
danielsenphoto.com

Return to Off-Topic