8k phone has dropped!

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Wayne Steven

8k phone has dropped!

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am

Somebody has finally announced an phone with an 8k video recording, and its one of those monster gaming phones relatively cheap as well.

https://m.nubia.com/active/redmagicthre ... mkw=&hmci=

https://m.weibo.cn/u/6722259311?jumpfrom=weibocom

May 3rd, is the date, and is a ZTE brand. One back Sony 48mp camera and f1/7 lens, nothing really that remarkable camera wise at the moment, but the rest of the 6.65 inch phone is.

I did think we would get 8k before this, as a number of phones have the same 8k camera, and might have 8k video support (but its possible to pull 8k still frames at video rates, so I suspect vizygig to do that on iphones when a suitable iPhone comes along, they have been pulling greater then 4k this way for years). But, I was dead wrong. No Red, Nokia, Apple or Samsung implementations. The feature hadn't been supported on the devices ( though some software like open camera has allowed unimplemented video resolutions in the past, but don't know if they plan it for 8k).
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

The mystery of the 8k camera phone?

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 am

I keep a look out for promising technology. Most often it is disappointment. I often don't buy equipment because it is compromised and not fit for the purpose I'm looking at. But compromised equipment can sometimes be made less compromised. The following ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 8k camera phone is one of them:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90385

Somebody somewhere said that the 8k resolution (and top end fullhd slow motion) is interpolated from lower resolution. But 8kp15 is the same pixel rate, and likely compression datarate as the 4kp60 the chipset compression engine is rated as. As usual, on the internet, it was stared by somebody as what somebody else said, without link let alone proof. So, a rumor of here say, that might have been mistaken interpretation of somebody, hardly worth trusting, but enough doubt to put a dampener on buying something. But what is the truth? Is it interpolating, or running the 4kp60 compression data rate as 8kp15, I'm which case a low quality compression datarate spread across a much higher resolution, is not going to yield much better resolution quality then the lower 4k, and indeed look so low quality it looks interpolated. Maybe the person is conflating it with the Samsung resolution 8k upscaling function, which is another sensor manufacturer and chipset altogether? Anyway, there is supposed to be an 8kp30 upgrade coming.

So, what is this 8kp30 upgrade coming. The present chipset dies not support it as a mode. Hopefully not the 80mb/s of the present 8kp15. Why wait, are they waiting for Qualcomm to release 8kp30 firmware, who are promising 100mp+ phones latter this year. Maybe it is part of a new driver set. But what people don't realise is the chipset is rated at 8kp30 raw from the sensor already, and the image sensor used much more than that. If only they can process the frames, they would get 8kp30. It is possible to compresses frames using the cpu and GPU instead, or simply process groups of frames alternating between the internal compression engine, CPU, GU and using whatever other processing engine is on board, fur some real battery draining hit filming. So, 160mb/s low quality might well be possible, even 320mb/s which wouldn't be too bad, it it was h265. Where ever they could do raw or 10bit+ 4:2:2 pro level 8kp30, I don't know. But one thing is certain, if they cab do that, other s855 chipset imx586 sensor phones maybe able to as well. This is still about the cheapest phone of this configuration.

So, what is really the case?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

Re: 8k phone has dropped!

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 am

Return to Off-Topic