A Cinema Camera Phone!

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Wayne Steven

A Cinema Camera Phone!

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:20 am

I have finally figured out how to make my cinema camera phone. Now to seek out manufacturing partners.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

rick.lang

Re: A Cinema Camera Phone!

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:46 am

Are you just going to tease us with that!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

Re: A Cinema Camera Phone!

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 am

It's very exciting, as it's not just a cinema camera, but the sort of cinema camera design and features I wanted. I wanted to maximise certain performance features, which was the problem before. Making some sort of simple cinema camera phone is not an issue, any real manufacturer could do a fullhd camera that way, to the dynamic range standard of the old pocket camera (these days). It doesn't need to be perfect, it only needs to be of a basic standard useful for no budget features. So, a pocket 4k would be better in many ways. Perfect for family gatherings, parties, holidays, local events, and low grade work. Something also good for YouTube.

Over time the technology possibilities have increased. Where as in 2004/5 I was looking at using condensers (what is now called a speed booster) with true medium format lenses (and true large format lenses but couldn't find a second hand lens any where near f/1.0) to get better low light :) , and trying to design good dynamic range expanding optical technologies (difficult), now we have low light technologies. Where as the Panasonic 4k 15fps cm1 (was it?)/struggled, now good mobile phones do low enough light and can do reasonable pictures.

People are using phones as personal cameras for a wide range of uses exclusively, despite low quality, so there is room for competition. From the industry perspective, people are going buy phones and Pocket4k instead of cheaper consumer cameras anyway. I'm saying this, because I've noticed certain quality hampering in phones, which is not going to stop people buying them.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Return to Off-Topic