PCIe SSD

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

EdChew

PCIe SSD

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm

What about the new PCIe SSD that Samsung is starting to mass produce. Does anyone think that someone is going to stick say 4 of these in a case and then we will have memory fast enough to record 4k Raw. Maybe even at 120 frames? If this is the case is BMD taking this into consideration? I have ordered the 4K and if this is a possibility I would like them to build it into my camera.

EdChew

Re: PCIe SSD

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Ok, I'm looking at this and I'm thinking put one of these PCIe ssd's in a memory stick form factor, at 512Gb it would only be a quarter the size of the SSD's that we will be using now 2 1/2 times faster and then maybe stick it in a thunder bolt 2 PCIe reader and voila! Now the engineers at BMD would have that extra space to work their magic in. Maybe more battery or cooling to run the sensor harder? The PCIe ssd's just made regular ssd's obsolete.

EdChew

Re: PCIe SSD

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 am

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/sams ... n=Engadget
Another improvement in the PCIe ssd. Another reason to have a PCIe connection on the 4k, 1.6Gb reading at 3000MBs 780000 IOPS. Come on guys show some love here!

Return to Off-Topic