can't open DaVinci Resolve19

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jpmorgan

can't open DaVinci Resolve19

PostFri May 03, 2024 3:29 am

I just downloaded DaVinci Resolve19, and I was considering buying the professional studio version, but when I try to open the program, I get this message: "GPU Initialization failed. DaVinci Resolve could not initialize OpenGL. Please ensure that the latest graphics drivers are installed." The only option given is to Quit. I'm so disappointed! I have an Intel i-5 core, with Intel HD Graphics, and I've never had this problem before with any program. I'm using Windows 10.

I don't see any information about exactly what kind of graphics card that is required to be able to use DaVinci Resove 19. A friend of mine who is a Microsoft technician tried to update my graphics drivers, but it says they're already up-to-date. Is it possible to download an earlier version of DaVinci Resolve from somewhere that would work with my present graphics card? Would that be a solution?

At the moment, all I need to do is simple things like add subtitles, and do crossfades between clips. Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice!
Attachments
problem1a.jpg
this is what happens appears when I tryo to open DaVinci Resolve19
problem1a.jpg (390.96 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: can't open DaVinci Resolve19

PostFri May 03, 2024 3:55 am

The installer read me lists the minimum system requirements for Windows

• Windows 10 Creators Update.
• 16 GB of system memory. 32 GB when using Fusion.
• Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 12.9 or later.
• Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2 GB of VRAM.
• GPU which supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 12.
• NVIDIA/AMD/Intel Driver version – as required by your GPU.

The message is reporting that the application cannot see the Intel GPU which suggests you need a different GPU driver, assuming it's meeting the min specs above.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: can't open DaVinci Resolve19

PostFri May 03, 2024 9:57 am

I have an Intel i-5 core, with Intel HD Graphics

The Intel processor line that come with HD graphics are from 2009-2014. There is a good chance that even the latest Intel drivers for your processor are a few years old. Even if you try a few graphics drivers and get DaVinci Resolve to recognise and start, the 12 year old integrated GPU will be a bottleneck, affecting the video resolution you can work with, the effects you can apply etc.

Return to Getting Started