Pre-sales advise for an amateur who needs to stream events

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ScottC

Pre-sales advise for an amateur who needs to stream events

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 3:58 pm

First of all - thanks for taking the time to read my question. I'm looking for some pre-sales help, and none of my local vendors seem able to answer my questions. I've been put in charge of setting up streaming from our company events and press events. Currently I use a Teradeck Cube on a single Panasonic camera. This works "ok". We're switching from ustream to Brightcove, and need some new features and a better encoder (the Teradeck is not that good...).

What I'd like to end up with is a setup based around Wirecast on a Mac Pro. I need support for multiple (HDMI and SDI) cameras, support for analog audio in (since we often have an audio crew mic people up).

Questions;
  • Can I use the UltraStudio 4K for this - connected to Thunderbolt and stream into Wirecast? Can I control the multiple camera inputs on Wirecast over Thunderbolt, or do I control those through the UltraStudio buttons or control panel?
  • Can I mix video and audio sources on the UltraStudio (ie; can I do SDI camera input and analog audio)? Can I setup a delay on the unit in case the audio is out of sync?
  • If I can't stream directly off the UltraStudio, what other options do I have?
  • I'd also like to add a HyperDeck Studio 2 since we are paranoid about losing recordings and always feel better when we have physical backups of the events. Any issues?
  • Anything I'm overlooking, or anyone got a better solution? I did look at the UltraStudio Express, but we'd like this all rackmounted as it gets thrown around quite a bit. We'll order one of those as a backup, so any feedback on that on using it with Wirecast is appreciated!

The final setup we'd like to end up with is a good travel rack case with the Ultrastudio, HyperDeck and Smartview Duo.
Again - thank you for taking the time to read my long list of questions!

Chad

Re: Pre-sales advise for an amateur who needs to stream even

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 am

You cannot use the UltraStudio 4k to capture multiple cameras. The only blackmagic products that can capture more than one input at a time are the Decklink Duo and Decklink Quad. There is a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis that will let you connect the Decklinks to a laptop if you don't have a desktop with PCIe slots. For audio, you will either need to embed the audio into one of the video feeds (with something like the Audio -> SDI converter), or use an external USB audio interface and do the embedding in Wirecast.

Sam Jones

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

What Mac Pro are you using? a G5 unit? it may be easier for you to use the decklink quad or duo instead. See if you can pick up an audio PCIe card such as a Hammerfall card as well. this should allow you to have audio inputs with the video. To be honest, the audio will more than likely be ahead of the video. In my experience, it has always been the video that has come through delayed more than the audio.
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Scott Smith

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I use the Teradek Vidiu, and have had little problems at 720p. The video looks great, and it is so easy to use. We just bought a pair of Cubes, but the web engine is the same as the Vidiu, I believe. We do have great bandwidth, and our own Wowza streaming servers, so I haven't used external streaming services like Ustream. Maybe that is the difference?

I saw an HDSDI audio delay device at NAB this year made by AVLINK. Not sure about the price, but I expect it isn't too steep. http://www.avlinksystem.com/main/pd_vie ... 01HDW.html
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Getting Started