Copying Multiple Files to SSD for Playblack on Hyperdeck

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

biggs0007

Copying Multiple Files to SSD for Playblack on Hyperdeck

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello,

We are experiencing an issue with copying over files to the Hyperdeck's SSDs.

The drive was initially formatted using a windows system as exFAT, and has been used with the Hyperdeck to record certain clips.

We now asked our Graphics department to provide us with more clips. The clips are provided as Avid DNxHD from a MAC.

We were only seeing 7 of the 12 clips eventhough they are all formatted correctly.

Asked them to reformat the drive which they did. One as exFAT and the other as HFS+. Then they created the files as Apple Pro Res and copied to both SSDs.

Interesting thing now is that I can only see ONE of the files. Irrespective of what drive format I use.

Has anyone succedded in copying MULTIPLES files to an SSDs for the Hyperdeck to playback.

I asked Blackmagic support and was informed that the Hyperdeck was not designed to playback files created offline and copied to the SSDs. Instead needed to have it record/playback the video clip directly.

But since the unit is used to feed a looping background, having the unit record the clips will not offer a perfect seamingless loop when played back. That is why we requested the clips to be created offline as it can be perfectly edited.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and see that people have been able to copy a file to the SSD and play it back (as I too have been), but can't really see anything about copying MULTIPLE files.

Thanks,

Mike Squires

Re: Copying Multiple Files to SSD for Playblack on Hyperdeck

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Record a couple of clips (of anything) with the Hyperdeck, and then look at the naming scheme.

Delete the files, and try renaming your other files using the same scheme.

Not sure if that works, but just an idea.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 am

From my experience with hyperdeck shuttle, it will only play back clips it recorded. Also if you change format, it will only playback clips in current format selected. So for example you,record a clip in ProRes, then switch to DNxHD, then only,the clips,recorded in DNxHD will play back, not the ProRes clips.

If you care trying to play ProRes clips, make sure deck is set for ProRes format when recording.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

TimSquires

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 pm

I use a shuttle to playback my final output. I export QT from FC at 24 fps and play it via hdmi on a TV.
Getting the sound to play is a workaround (for reasons I don't fully understand) but it works well in this role. I only load a single file at a time however so can't comment on that aspect.
Tim
Tim Squires
UK

biggs0007

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks to all the insight and information shared so far.

I have tried most of this, but in most cases, able to only see and playback a single file.

I already did what Mike suggested; recording a couple of files and using that name convention. Unfortunately that didn't work. But I noticed that I could create mutiple copies of a natively recorded file, and each copy is seen and plays out without issue. I can actually rename copies of the native file as desired and Hyperdeck still played them. Default naming convention is "CaptureXXXX".

Denny echoed what Blackmagic support ultimately told me. Unit will only playback one file format at a time, and the format is determined by the first recording that was created.

So, now what I'm trying to do is see whether our graphics department can recreate a file with the exact same properties by doing the following:

1. With an empty SSD, had the Hyperdeck record a clips in the desired format. This defines the base file and playback format.

2. Asking Graphics to Open and Save the native file without doing anything. Will the file structure and properties be preserved, and will Hyperdeck play it.

3. Asking Graphics to Open the native file to capture the file properties and edit it as needed and save it. I want to see whether the file structure and properties are preserved, and will Hyperdeck play it.

3. Asking Graphics to Open the native file to capture the file properties, replace the video with one of the looping backgrounds and save it. I want to see whether the file structure and properties are preserved, and will hyperdeck play it.

I will keep everyone posted on the results once they get the files to me.

Thanks

biggs0007

PostTue Apr 29, 2014 4:16 pm

FYI…

For anyone interested we were able to "mimic" the native Hyperdeck recorded files and have are desired offline edited files loaded to the SSDs.

Some backgroun information.

The Hyperdeck and the recorded files MUST be set to the same format. So, if there is a mix of Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD files on the drive and the Hyperdeck is set to ProRes, you will not see the DNxHD files. Similarly, if the Hyperdeck is set to DNxHD, you will not see the ProRes files.

Also, the first recorded file format defines which subsequent file formats the Hyperdeck will play. So, for example if you have 4 clips in 2 different resolution and frame rates in this order ( 1080i 59.94, 1080i 59.94, 1080p23.98, 1080i 59.94), it will play back the 3 1080i 59.94 files and ignore the 1080p 23.98.

So what we did was:

1. Set the Hyperdeck to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) - (Or desired file format)
2. Recorded 720p@59.94 Video using the Hyperdeck. (Or desired playout format)
3. Took that file into FCP and had FCP inherited the file properties.
(May/should get a message like the file/clip properties differ from your sequence properties. We want the file/cip properties.
4. Replaced the video with the desired looping video. We didn't bother rendering the new file on import.
5. Exported the file as Apple ProRes (HQ).

Hopefully this helps others.

Return to Getting Started