Blackmagic not honoring promotional sale price of bmpcc

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Justin Battle

Re: Blackmagic not honoring promotional sale price of bmpcc

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:If people purchased other accessories then they really should have waited until the camera actually shipped, or they could send back the items for their refund and re-order them when the camera ships.

BM are not keeping silent, they've already said they are shipping them out as fast as they get made. Not sure what else you expect them to add to that statement

No, they are not keeping quiet. BM has been letting everyone know that they are shipping the cameras as soon as they can so the retailers can ship to us customers. It just seems as though BM is catering to 2 of the resellers and not the other ones (obviously B&H and Adorama). Obviously I know they are shipping first come, but, I would like to know when my reseller is up at bat. That information would make me feel better about the wait instead of just saying "we're shipping them as we ship them."

7 weeks here and waiting, next Tuesday will be week 8. So much for the 4-6 weeks, then 3-4 weeks.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Blackmagic does not ship directly to retailers, they use regional distributors, who in turn decide (on first come/first served basis I would guess) which retailers/re-sellers get the cameras. So this info is not going to be available from BM or here.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Don Helms

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Here is the email from B&H I received sept 2. I placed my order 7/23 with a stated 2-4 weeks delivery

One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't
yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any
inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically.

We appreciate your patience and patronage. Feel free to contact us with any
questions or comments about this order.

Thank you.

B&H Photo-Video

So like the rest of us I wait and look at the accessories I have purchased

Justin Battle

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Don Helms wrote:So like the rest of us I wait and look at the accessories I have purchased

The imagination game is so fun!

I ordered on 7/22, so hopefully we are the next batch of adopters.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:If people purchased other accessories then they really should have waited until the camera actually shipped, or they could send back the items for their refund and re-order them when the camera ships.

BM are not keeping silent, they've already said they are shipping them out as fast as they get made. Not sure what else you expect them to add to that statement

Adam, in many instances you have been very kind and helpful to the folks in this forum in sharing your knowledge and expertise to those who have questions. I applaud you for it. However, time and again, when there are flames towards BM, you come out sounding defensive for BM. From your signature, I think you're not a BM employee; maybe you are probably a reseller of their products. I'm curious what your inclination is to become a defender of BM, their practices, and incompetence. I'm saying this with no disrespect but I am being annoyed at your response to the community of users who are trying to get BM to do the right thing by speaking their mind. If BM need to defend itself, make a statement in response of the people frustration with them, I will expect that their management to do so. So far, they have failed to do so. I can only ask that you let BM speak for themselves and help the cause if you want to. Many already knows how much BM customer service suck and it will reflect back on them as a whole later if not anytime sooner. They need to learn the first thing about what makes a great company, which is "Great companies are not only having great products but terrific customer service." [IBM].
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Blackmagic does not ship directly to retailers, they use regional distributors, who in turn decide (on first come/first served basis I would guess) which retailers/re-sellers get the cameras. So this info is not going to be available from BM or here.

Then BM has the responsibility to communicate their production release plan to their regional distributors so the regionals can communicate it to their retailers/re-sellers. It has to be available from BM otherwise that company has a serious operation flaw. Information trickles down from the top, not the other way around. So BM, start communicating, if not to your customers, at least to your regional distributors and down to your retailers in some manner appropriate.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Sam Jones

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 am

Ellory,

Im jumping on the defense of BM here, have you thought that maybe BM have gone to the regional distributors, but they are not the ones communicating? Not the other way round?

Whilst i agree that it seems silly not to be in contact direct with retailers, it takes one link in the chain for it to break. Have people considered that this is not BM fault. They may have underestimated the amount of people that will snap up this order. A mistake on their part, but good as they now know that they need to step up production scales.

In regards to communicating on the Forum, this is a user forum which is moderated by BM. Its a place for users to communicate to each other. If you want reassurance from BM, or want to hear directly from someone, then actually email BM or call them. They have different call centres around the Globe.

People saying they are not honoring their promotional sale price, if people looked it said whilst stocks last. Stock ran out, but instead or refunding or telling people no, they are making MORE STOCK to accomodate the people that ordered. They did not have to do that. They could have just said thats the amount, sold them and then be done with it. In my books, they are doing the customer right here. Yes it is taking long, but they didnt HAVE to make more stock to accomodate people.
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Sam, that philosophy is in your books not mine. I really don't care who has to step up (BM, Distributor, Re-seller) but someone must and should. It is never good business practice and customer retention management not to communicate. I'm not asking them to do so in this forum. They can in other ways suitable be it by their announcements or through their re-sellers so that these sellers will know how to set customer expectations. Right now, if you call the seller, all they say is that they do not know when BM will ship the units to them, so they have not idea what to tell the customer. How foolish does that make the sellers look to their customers? It does not only affect the seller on this particular incident as the perception could affect other future business with their customer base. Just look at all the frustrations blogged towards Adorama, B&H, and other sellers. That's reflecting poor publicity for the sellers. BM (and/or their distributors) should be sensitive if not to the indirect customers like I, but at least those who are trying to make their living selling BM products in good faith.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 9:15 pm

BTW, here's a good example on how it affects the sellers. Like many of us who, be it due to excitement or other reasons, purchased lenses and accessories in anticipation, I did just that. Well I made a decision to return many of the gears, about a little over a thousand worth, last week. I figured I'll wait until the BMPCC arrives and I'll reorder them, probably getting a better deal from another seller. What if others did the same? That's a huge impact to the sellers having to deal with the take back - shipping and restocking cost (btw, I always sure that returns comes with free shipping and no restocking fee before I buy). Just because of one product being the culprit of such decision on my part (and possibly many others), it a windfall of sales from other items. I will venture to say that there are many others who probably are anticipating returning their gears that were purchased in anticipation of their BMPCC delivery. That can be very real!

Michael Castro

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 1:02 am

Yes,
I ordered from B&H on July 22nd. Today I received the In stock, order sent to warehouse Expedited Delivery message..

Don Helms

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 am

After checking many times daily B&H just showed my BMPCC as in stock and being sent to the warehouse
I ordered on 7/23

Ed Da Silva

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 9:56 am

I agree that it is unfair to blame the resellers on this - I have spoken to Marcotec in Germany about this on a number of occasions and they are as frustrated and clueless as the rest of us. I ordered on the 17th of July and so am approaching 2 months of waiting. If the wait goes on much beyond two months I reckon I'll have to cancel my order and go for another camera - a camera in the hand is worth two in the bush. Lack of updates from Blackmagic is infuriating.

Will Quick

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 3:02 pm

I ordered mine on August 1st. Spoke with B&H the day before yesterday and they told me they were expecting another shipment in on Friday.

Here's to hoping I'm in the next wave! :mrgreen:

Edward Wong

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Ordered July 19th, received today. I'm a happy man.

Peter Vaktor

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 12:08 pm

I ordered mine from B&H on July 23rd and got notification last night that it has shipped out! They are honoring their deals but it has just taken more time than they figured to fill all the orders.

David Santos

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Ordered July 27th and still no updates. I share the same frustration as others on this thread having spent thousands on lenses, batteries, memory cards, field monitor, etc. I think the camera is worth a good wait especially at that fantastic price but how long is reasonable? The New England foliage season is upon us and I fear the camera will arrive too late. Come on BM, kick your suppliers in the butt and ship our cameras please!

Gordon Lee

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:08 am

Update with my order ordered on 31 July from a Sydney Reseller that the shop will receive my BMPCC today and despatch today or by next Monday.

Glad I did not buy it from B & H or Adorama to see many still on the long waiting back order lists.

Happy as I should receive by mid Next week ready for my trip in the weekend after.
Gordon Lee (Brisbane Australia)

BMPCC user

David Martin

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 4:27 pm

My Pocket, ordered July 22 from B&H, arrived a few minutes ago. Having charged a battery, the Pocket's been deployed in the back yard at 12 and 17mm (Olympus lenses) to look at foliage waving in the breeze. Nothing worth sharing (that's a long way ahead), but the Zacuto Pocket Z Finder functions well, even if I'm too wobbly a person to hand-hold a video camera.
Last edited by David Martin on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Great for all you folks getting your cameras. I just spoke to B&H and I am just told to call back in 2-3 weeks as they have no idea when they are able to get in more units and send them out.

Today, I got all my RMAs and am returning all my glasses and accessories that I purchased for the camera in anticipation since the warranty clock is ticking and getting close to the 30 day return policy; and I have not had a chance to try them out. I'll reacquire them when the bmpcc gets to my doorstep, whenever that may be. I'm no longer as excited as I was 45 days ago. :(

Ed Da Silva

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 12:14 pm

I got an EXTREMELY long newsletter mail out listing exciting new developments re Blackmagic products just this morning. Did it address any issues about massive delays BM customers are experiencing? Of course not.

So Blackmagic DO have time to write to communicate and reach out. But only to potential customers and persuade you to buy stuff in the future, it's just that once you've paid up then you are no longer worthy of an update or of any concern to the PR department? It's pretty shoddy.

Our posts on here have to be approved by a mod and they are Blackmagic official forums and yet no one bothers to address or acknowledge customer complaints or aggravation in any meaningful way. :(

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

I really don't care anymore. When it comes it comes. I returned all the lens and accessories last week, RMA all of them and got back my $1700 worth of stuff. When it gets to me that's the time I'll figure what lens and accessories to buy. The excitement is over and I'm done bitching. These folks at BM do not care. I did call B&H for the last time to see if there's any news. None at all! They said that the distributors cannot give them any info because Black Magic is holding out on them too. They think it will take another 2-3 weeks before they'll ship mine. I ordered it on July 28. Interestingly, in the BMCUSER forum, some folks who ordered it in August from Adorama already got theirs. Oh well.

Manoel Flesch

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Reseller in germany told me I'm 20th place in line on their order list and he explained how this whole sale worked. So basically BM told the resellers in a newsletter to place their order immediately and later that day the promotion price was announced to the public. So first all resellers we're carefull because they didn't know how many orders they would get. I was lucky enough that they bought enough on the first day. Because after 3 days all orders we're stopped by BM. So after that day resellers couldn't order any more cameras. Customers could though since thats the resellers problem. He also told me there are some resellers that can only fullfill between 20-30% of their orders while they can at least fullfill 80% which still is insane. But even today they have no info when the cameras will arrive. They get 3 or 5 cameras a week or every second week so maybe before Christmas my cam will be here...

Justin Battle

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I FINALLY just received confirmation of the charge and shipping. I guess Newegg was down the ladder compared to B&H and Adorama receiving shipments. I hope the rest of you get your confirmations soon. Looks like he bulk came from Adorama, and by the looks, it seems like everything will be smooth sailing from here.

Gavin Baird

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 am

ordered from b&h on august 1st and still hasn't shipped. I am starting to get really antsy.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm still waiting for word from B&H. I wonder when they will start processing orders made starting the 28th of July.

Justin Battle

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I'm still waiting for word from B&H. I wonder when they will start processing orders made starting the 28th of July.

The latest date I seen someone receive theirs from B & H was the 26th. So hopefully you'll be in the next batch or two.

Kieran Shore

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 11:51 am

Here in the UK, I ordered my BMPCC from Jigsaw24 on July 28th. I was told at the time to expect delivery around the end of August. At the end of August I was told they were still waiting for stock but it was coming through slowly. Yesterday I got a call from them to say my camera iwas being dispatched and so I should have it within the next few days. So I'm very happy because my fear was that the order would not be honoured (which is why I didn't buy any extras). I'm very happy with the service from Jigsaw24 who also provided a spare battery as part of the original offer. Now I can start buying those much needed accessories starting with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB card.
Good luck to those of you still waiting. Better a long delay than never at all.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Justin Battle wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I'm still waiting for word from B&H. I wonder when they will start processing orders made starting the 28th of July.

The latest date I seen someone receive theirs from B & H was the 26th. So hopefully you'll be in the next batch or two.

It finally shipped from B&H today. Yeah! Looking forward to taking some test footage this week. :)

Artur Szalowski

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Finally mine ready for shipping from CVP.UK.
Ordered 24.07.14.
I hope this provides some useful information for someone waiting.

Nick Bailey

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Justin Battle wrote:

It finally shipped from B&H today. Yeah! Looking forward to taking some test footage this week. :)

This makes me excited... my order was placed on the 31st at B&H! So close!

Ralph Helm

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Ordered mine on August 1st from B&H. However, with the closures this week for Rosh Hashanah, I wonder if we'll see any more ship out before next week. Glad you finally got yours, Ellory. Getting closer at least...

Jean Paul Philipp

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Ordered my BMPCC on jul 16. Still waiting and no Information from BMD.
129 Post and no answer! Nice

David Santos

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Just received notification that my camera has shipped! Ordered July 27 from B&H if that helps anyone in back-order hell. That was a really long 2-4 weeks!

Bruno Bottignon

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Ordered in July 17 from AbelCine. I still have no ETA from them. NICE.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Jean Paul Philipp wrote:Ordered my BMPCC on jul 16. Still waiting and no Information from BMD.
129 Post and no answer! Nice

You mean other than this one on page 2
Tony Rivera wrote:The supply issue was addressed in another thread I replied to in the Cinematography section of our forums. Basically what was said is that we're sending them out to our distributor as quickly as we get them in.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Jean Paul Philipp

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes Adam, there is an answer. I would like to see an answer like: We Need 20.000 Cam's, we can produce 20 in a week. So everybody has an idea whats happening. Just 1-2 Words more.

My Cam arrived today in Germany from Marcotec.

Wish you luck

JOHNAVATAR.com

PostSun Sep 28, 2014 3:01 am

I am a Film/TV Professional, as Producer, Writer, Editor, some Directing and a lot of Production/Post Engineering experience (all the newest Tek, all bigger budget stuff, no Indies, except years ago at my start), so I'm something of an expert on Production/Post, but I am NOT a DP, not even close... that's where this BMPCC comes in, I wanted first hand experience at that (not to become an expert, just fun experience), so I can shoot some of my own projects.... Anyway....

I received my BMPCC at the discounted price from B&H, to my Santa Monica, CA 90402 location 10 days ago, Sept 17, 2014!

Awesome camera... having a lot of fun with it, but just in the learning phase.

I also ordered the following lens: Panasonic 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA OIS LENS
It is an excellent beginner lens, though I'm amazed at how well it looks, the imager is very good, depth of field is what I was hoping for and etc., plus with the BMPCC, it has Auto Iris and Auto Focus and Image Stablizer, all in the lens, the BMPCC Iris and Focus buttons at the top of the camera do work with this lens!
The lens was $162!!!! (Very low cost, excellent quality, though I would like more glass, but this one's great for now.).

I also downloaded the free DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite and am working with that, plus After Effects CS6 (which auto with RAW footage looks amazing) and Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, I'll be testing with Premiere Pro CS6 soon.

I've been finding as I go that I need more and more hardware. I just bought a very low cost, $16, 2 battery, power charger and car lighter charger kit from Amazon, ChiliPower, which each battery offers twice the capacity of the BMPCC battery that comes with the camera, so I can shoot for over 3 hours with these 3 batteries.

I also just ordered the PNY 256GB SDSC card from B&H, rebate now of $10, this card costs me $109.99 (-the $10 rebate), or $99.99! I won't have it until Oct 2, Thursday.
PNY Technologies 256GB ELITE SDXC-UHS-1 CARD (90 MB/S)
It may not be fast enough for stable RAW records, but it should be plenty fast enough for ProRes HQ at 23.98.

I don't have a fast SD card right now and I've just been testing with a very cheap, like $18, Class 10 SD card, made by "Polaroid" of all companies! I ran some speed tests on it using the AJA System Test App and the BM speed test app and it gives me around 26MBs Write and 37MBs Read, so I was not expecting the BMPCC to even recognize the card, but was surprised to find it actually does record RAW for about 5 seconds before dropping frames and it actually does record ProRes HQ at 23.98 with no problems at all, I can record up to around 20 minutes with no dropped frames! So the PNY card, at around 3 times the speed should have no problems with ProRes HQ, I hope.

I also bought a number of other items, a Polarizing filter and etc.

All together though, I've only spent around $1,000! Pretty amazing, I've spent much more than that on a basic ProSumer HD Camcorder and from what I can tell so for in my brief tests, the results from this BMPCC is far better, or at least more cinematic!

That's about it for now....

Good luck to everyone and if anyone has questions for me, or advice, feel free to connect with my on LinkedIn, look up John Avatar and also visit my website JohnAvatar dot com, to email me.

Robert Moore
JohnAvatar.com
Santa Monica, CA 90402

Will Quick

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Ordered 8/1 from B&H, got an email last night saying they were still backordered.
Went on today to see that it was in stock and being shipped to the warehouse!
If you still haven't gotten yours, the darkest days seem to be over! :D

Jason Dent

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 4:39 am

Ordered from B&H August 3rd.
It's now October 14th. B&H is blaming BM. Either way this is epic level stupid.

Llyr Williams

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Keith Neill wrote:Has anyone received a bmpcc from the special offer in the UK ? I ordered mine on the 20/7 from RCB Logic but they still seem to be awaiting stock. I realised that I may have to wait some time prior to ordering as the stock levels of this camera at full price were low at all UK suppliers before the offer was announced.

Are there any indications when the UK is going to get deliveries ?

Just received my bmpcc from RCB exactly 3 months after placing order. Didn't get much communication from RCB, had to phone to get updates. They said there were about 20 behind me in queue and getting about 5 a week.

Good luck
Previous

Return to Getting Started