I Just Bought the BMCC 2.5k and Starting Out

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Axel Roldos

I Just Bought the BMCC 2.5k and Starting Out

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 am

Ok, so I know next to nothing about cinematography/photography. But I'm an actor here in LA and my manager thinks it is a good idea if I make some stuff on my own, so I'd like to learn. With that having been said, I have the camera, a super high capacity/high speed SSD and an enclosure. I don't have a lens because I'm not sure what to get... So I'm hoping I could get some good feedback on which one to start with. I want something that's good and that'll be useful. It is EF mount.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like I might want a zoom lens, but honestly, the prospect of getting a prime lens sounds nice because I am reading they produce the best image. But please, by all means, help educate me lol

BenjaminLebeau

Re: I Just Bought the BMCC 2.5k and Starting Out

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:36 am

Search the forums and google, there are loads of threads that discuss lens options. Won't bother summarizing, but here's a very recent thread on quality lens options for EF mount.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34782&p=206349&hilit=lenses+for+ef+mount
Benjamin Lebeau
Editor/Colorist, Sandwich Video
www.sandwichvideo.com

Axel Roldos

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:44 am

I just took a look and... The OPnis talking about lens without a clinical feel? He wants an organic "Cooke" look? What does that even mean? Lol

I studied Computer Engineering, I'm totes #TeamAndroid, so I'm not slow in the learning department lol. I just don't know about lenses. I don't know what those numbers mean (I mean, what do the mm correlate to, anyway?)

Google has sort of helped. I found an article on B&H video that explained what zoom lenses, telephoto lenses, etc. But there was a lot of assuming the reader understood what some of those photography elements meant. Which I don't. So I was hoping someone might've had a really insightful "for dummies" article or guide.

Lee Gauthier

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 am

Start with a Canon Nifty Fifty.

On a BMDCC-EF, it's a little telephoto, which means it will make actors look a little better on screen. It's a good lens that images well. You'll later want to get a 25mm lens, which gives you a "normal" or "human" look from the camera. Eventually, you'll probably wnat to get a zoom that goes from under 50 to 200 or so to cover other needs.

But start with the fifty.

BenjaminLebeau

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 6:51 am

This is a good overview: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pho ... e-lens-101

Most people agree it's best to start with a 50mm. However, the BMCC 2.5K has a small sensor and therefore a larger crop factor. For an explanation on that, use this: http://digital-photography-school.com/c ... explained/

Therefore, you might be better off getting something "wider" like a 35mm.

Read those articles (first one before the second one) and hopefully that makes sense.
Benjamin Lebeau
Editor/Colorist, Sandwich Video
www.sandwichvideo.com

Axel Roldos

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 7:00 am

BenjaminLebeau wrote:This is a good overview: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pho ... e-lens-101

Most people agree it's best to start with a 50mm. However, the BMCC 2.5K has a small sensor and therefore a larger crop factor. For an explanation on that, use this: http://digital-photography-school.com/c ... explained/

Therefore, you might be better off getting something "wider" like a 35mm.

Read those articles (first one before the second one) and hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, I've read that first article before. That second was insightful... I wasn't aware that my camera had a "cropped" sensor. Which I guess is kind of a bad thing?

Axel Roldos

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 7:17 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:Start with a Canon Nifty Fifty.

On a BMDCC-EF, it's a little telephoto, which means it will make actors look a little better on screen. It's a good lens that images well. You'll later want to get a 25mm lens, which gives you a "normal" or "human" look from the camera. Eventually, you'll probably wnat to get a zoom that goes from under 50 to 200 or so to cover other needs.

But start with the fifty.

I did some research on this - it sounds like a great deal, actually! Interesting, though, that the BMCC's cropped sensors changes the focal length of the actual image.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 6:51 pm

The smaller sensor of the BMCC does not change the "focal length" of a lens, a smaller sensor changes the "Angle of View" only, so a 25mm lens gives a 45-degree angle of view (normal lens look) on the Cinema camera, where it would be a wide on a larger sensor. Take a piece of paper with a picture on it, and draw a 2-inch circle on it, the area a given lens covers. Then draw a rectangle inside the circle, just slightly smaller that the circle, the area of a S35 sensor, let's say, now draw a rectangle 1/2 the size in side that box, that represents the area of the BMCC sensor (not actual size, but approx. proportion to difference between Super 35 and the Cinema camera.).

Now you can see the image of let's say a 25mm lens, the circle, and the difference in what the sensor is recording off that image between the large box and the smaller one. The scene inside the circle is the same, what changes is how much of that scene is "seen" by the two different size sensors. The circle, a 25mm lens focal length, does not change, but how much of the scene that is recorded, the Angle of View, changes between the two boxes, does change. Hope this helps.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 3:21 am

I did some research on this - it sounds like a great deal, actually! Interesting, though, that the BMCC's cropped sensors changes the focal length of the actual image.

Axel, bear in mind that "crop factor" was created for still photographers. It has little to do with movies and cinematography. The BMCC sensor is actually closer in size to 35mm cinema film than a "full frame" stills camera like the 5D.

To learn more about angle of view and sensor size look here.

Axel Roldos

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 11:55 am

All of this has been really helpful - thanks everyone!

Return to Cinematography