ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jan Szewczyk

ATEM Television Studio HD

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
I want to start working with live streaming. I’m wandering what to choose at the begining: ATEM Television Studio HD or Web Presenter. Web Presenter gives me two features: streaming and mixing from two sources, but unfortunately without the multi-view, while ATEM TV Studio HD is a good choice to work with more than two cameras. I’ve prepared a diagram of workflow (Purple color is an equipment which I have already). I have to build a set which would allow me to stream and record at the same time. I’ve noticed that ATEM has only one PROGRAM OUT, and I’m not sure if I can send the mixed source to Macbook. Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy more equipment. Recorder and streamer. Please check if it has any sense, maybe there is some easier solution.
Attachments
workflow.jpg
workflow.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello. There are 5 Program outputs on the Television Studio HD if that helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Ryan Boni

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 3:31 am

Jan,

I imagine that for your particular use (1 cam, 1 laptop) that the Web Presenter is the far better solution.

However, if you go with the TVS know that, as Gary mentioned, there are 5 SDI program outputs (the 4 SDI outputs above the SDI inputs, will output program - they are there instead of listed as program outputs because the main intention is to use those to connect back to cameras with program, talkback, tally and CCU control, but you can use them strictly as program outputs).

One suggestion that I would have regarding your workflow diagram: I'm not sure that you want the Hacintosh to be recording the program feed AND sending the web stream feed to the Macbook AND running the software control for the switcher. Ideally, you want all 3 of those actions happening on separate machines. If nothing else, I'd get the cheapest laptop you can get and move the software control panel to that, so you can allow your record computer to run without interruptions. When needed, we've run the ATEM switcher software on cheap $200 HP Stream notebooks with zero problems.
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

Ian Morrish

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 7:34 am

TVS HD can also do picture in picture which you might want to do (presenter in window with presentation in background - or in window using DVE, with yet some other background).
A simple decklink recorder/capture device (Mini, thunderbolt/USB or PCI card) would work with OBS. OBS can record to disk at the same time, saving you from having to run media express (unless you want high quality recording for post production editing).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

pigdeep

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 5:20 pm

I have this problem also. The HDMI inputs, 1-4 work. The SDI inputs do not work. I have PTZ Optics SDI cameras that I put through SDI-HDMI Converters that will work on HDMI, but not SDI.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Chances are the cameras output 60 Hz which will not work on SDI as it needs to be true 59.94 Hz. The HDMI inputs will accept 60 Hz.

Regards Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production