B&W ouput

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

John Madding

B&W ouput

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 pm

I purchased 4 analog to SDI mini converters. All of them only give me a B&W output. I have tried different positions either up or down on the side switches, I have connected them all to a computer, but the audio/video changes in the interface are limited, and do not change the B&W ouput. I am using RG-6 cables that we use for other SDI equipment with no problem. The video also seems to have very jagged edges around the people in the video, besides the B&W image. Any ideas?

Xtreemtec

Re: B&W ouput

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

You connected a Composite video source to the converter and set the converter to Component input instead of Composite, I guess ;)

This will give you a picture but in black and white because the color data in Component mode is expected on the Pb and Pr connections.. :P
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ryan Boni

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 2:51 am

As mentioned, swapping a composite and component connection can result in black and white (looking at the diagram, dip switch 5 controls this - OFF for component, ON for composite).

Also, if PAL and NTSC get reversed, you will get a black and white image with jagged edges around the images. (In fact, I just ran into this a few weeks ago, our local Public Library asked me to look at one of their projectors that they said was only showing in black and white. Plugged a camera into the composite input - black and white. Plugged into HDMI - color. Went back to composite - noticed that it was not only black and white, but jagged edges (which I didn't notice the first time). Went into the projector's menu, and the first item down in the video menu had been accidentally bumped from NTSC to PAL. Moved it back to NTSC and problem was solved!!)

I don't have any of our BMD Analog to SDI converters in front of me, so I don't remember if they autosense NTSC or PAL or not, but you may want to make sure that any setting matches what your analog input is.
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 5:26 pm

John, what camera outputmaource are you using, RCA composite, Component (3-cables) or S-Video?
As previously noted, you have a input miss-match. Reversing the S-Video (Din to BNC) BNC connections, will give a B&W image also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started