Micro Cinema Camera Loose Lens Release

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GeranSimpson

Micro Cinema Camera Loose Lens Release

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 am

Hello all. I've been playing around getting oriented with the BMMCC and have ran into a problem that I'm not sure if anyone else has ran into. I am using the Metabones BMPCC to EF speedbooster and a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. There has been intermittent aperture control on the camera, it would cut in and out along with some strange gremlins with the display data on the monitor. After some troubleshooting I found that the little silver lens release button shakes around a bit when a lens or the speedbooster is installed. When it shakes, it gives the firmware of the speedbooster problems and I have to un-attach it, then re-attach it to reboot. Is the lens release supposed to wiggle at all or be in a firm position? Should I request a replacement camera from BM? Is it a problem with the speedbooster not fitting or the camera? I've had it for about a week.

Attached a video reference of the wiggling.

Denny Smith

Re: Micro Cinema Camera Loose Lens Release

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Yes and No, the button should pop up when the lens or speed booster is "clicked" into position.
The button should be firmly held in up position when a lens is mounted, but there is a small amount of play in the release button when the lens is locked in, as shown in the above photo. Looks like the lens you are using is also heavy. It should really be supported by a rail mounted lens support. Also, if you have the Wooden Camera Micro Cage, you can get a Wooden Camera replacement foot for the Speed Booster that screws the adapter to the camera cage, adding additions Support and taking strain away from the MFT lens mount. I have a feeling it is the strain on the mount, causing the lens contacts to break/make contact, causing your issues.

The MFT mount t is not designed to take lens weight that is more than 1 kilo (2 lbs). A heavy kens can tweak the mount and cause the release button switch to be erratic, or flex the SB lens mount contacts.
The natural "looseness" of the lens release button should not release the lens locking button, or cause the reset switch to dis-engage. You need to support the weight of heavy lenses, especially when used in conjunction with an adapter, which adds another flex point.
DS
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

Hi - I've seen exactly this on two separate versions of the MCC and Speed Booster.

I describe it here with video:

www dot bmcuser dot com/showthread.php?19874-Micro
(I'm not allowed to post URL's so replace dots)

As I mention, I'm pretty sure the lens release pin isn't extending fully with the speed booster attached and thus causing the lens release to be loose but even worse, the pogo pin/switch inside the lens release is then on a hair-trigger and can easily cause the lens to disconnect.

I've spoken and emailed BMD support and of course they don't really want to know or can't do anything.

I've emailed Metabones several times but still haven't had a reply!

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Paul, see my revised reply above. These heavy Sigma lenses, the speed booster and camera body all need to be well supported and locked together to support the lens weight and remove any lens mount play and flexing. There is a small amount of play both in the MFT and EF mount, this needs to be eliminated through a proper lens support setup. If you are not using the Wooden Camera Micro cage, Metabones also has a nice 15m rail support bracket that holds the ArcaSwiss mount on the SB foot, locking it to the rail. The rail plate is attached to the camera, and a lens support bracket is added to the front of the lens to support it. All three are now locked together and all play is eliminated. I can not stress this enough, You Need to Support the speed booster and lens :!:
DS
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 pm

In my case, the weight of the lens, use of a support or cage doesn't actually have any bearing on the problem. Even with no lens connected, the button is wobbly and the pogo switch (switch within the lens release) disconnects the electronics when it shouldn't. I think there are two issues here and I can see that your comments re heavy lenses are very valid too (just different to what I'm seeing)

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 pm

Paul, if the lens release button is causing the switch or reset when you just wiggle it or when you press in on it? Pressing in on the button, should have some resistance, if not, the spring might be broken. If this is the case, I would RMA the camera. Neither one of my Micro camera's have this issue. Once in a while, the button wil, stick in, and needs to be popped back out. Make sure the SB or lens "locks" (the little pin in the lens mount needs to seat into a notch on the lens or SB, when properly mounted), you should hear a little "click" sound, and the button pops back up.

I just checked my cameras, and I had to push the button in to get the switch to reset the camera, just wiggling the button around does not. Good luck. :mrgreen:
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks Denny.

I've had two cameras and two speed boosters now with serial numbers significantly different, both with the same problem. So I'm thinking that if other users aren't seeing the problem - they possibly could be a batch issue maybe.

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Paul let's get to the bottom of this, one way to see if it is the camera or Speed Booster, is to get a native MFT auto lens, and see if the camera mount works with it OK, or if you have an issue winit too communicating with the camera, or loosing contact. If so, then you can RMA the camera winthis additional info. If not, then the issue might be in the SB.

Also, I have a long plate 15mm rod support plate, you could attach the camera, speed booster and add lens support to to see if this solves the problem. I also have a spare Wooden Camera Micor cage You can "borrow" either one or both for the cost of postage if you like to test out your rig. All you need to do is get a WC speed Booster foot from Wooden Camera (around $25-35) to test it out.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 am

Denny Smith wrote:Paul let's get to the bottom of this, one way to see if it is the camera or Speed Booster, is to get a native MFT auto lens, and see if the camera mount works with it OK, or if you have an issue winit too communicating with the camera, or loosing contact. If so, then you can RMA the camera winthis additional info. If not, then the issue might be in the SB.

Also, I have a long plate 15mm rod support plate, you could attach the camera, speed booster and add lens support to to see if this solves the problem. I also have a spare Wooden Camera Micor cage You can "borrow" either one or both for the cost of postage if you like to test out your rig. All you need to do is get a WC speed Booster foot from Wooden Camera (around $25-35) to test it out.
Cheers

Hi Denny,

Very good of you to offer that :) I do have a cage (smallrig with the speedbooster bracket) and support rails etc though. They don't in any way contribute or help with the issue though. It happens without a lens attached and also pointing vertically up which negates any twisting force or moment. I'm really sure as far as I can be that it's just an issue of the lens locking pin not extending fully into the recess on the Speed Booster. BMD and CVP (UK supplier) support concur with this too but obviously won't/can't say whether it's a tolerance issue with the camera or Speed Booster. I've yet to hear anything back from Metabones themselves! (It's been a week since my first email but I know they've read them and opened the links as my emails are tracked).

Yesterday, I decided to return the camera to CVP and order a third replacement from another supplier in Germany in the vague hope of maybe getting a camera from a different manufacturing batch. We'll see how that goes. Currently my feeling is that there are a recent batch or number of cameras or Speed Boosters that are very slightly different tolerance wise to some older ones maybe. Just a guess though. Either that or the tolerances in pin length etc is variable and some will be OK and just a small number are just outside acceptable tolerances and cause the issue.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 pm

OK, I see what you mean, the locking pin needs to click completely in place on the Speed Booster MFT mount, to completely release the reset switch. I would lean in Metabones, to send you a new MFT Min t to try in the Speed Booster also, sounds like that is the source of the problem. I do not see there could be that much of a difference BM camera locking pins, they are no doubt CNC machained. Both if my Micro cameras lens mounts match as far as the pin and lens mount tollerences go. Is your Speed Booster hard to set on the camera, too tight fitting or?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 pm

The fitting force is just right.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Good, here is hoping the next camera works better, of not, get another note orfmto Metabones, theymare slow sometimes responding. Good luck
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Anatoly Mashanov

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 12:41 am

I have seen the similar problem with some noname MFT adapters. They are resolved with drilling (or maybe filing) the fixing hole of the adapter so the fixing pin fully protrudes into it.

Paul Gale

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:25 am

So finally got a reply from metabones. I'm not going mad :) looks like there is an issue with a certain combination of speed booster and MCC:

Thank you for your enquiry and choosing our products first.

I am sorry that we might overlooked your mails. and we are sincerely sorry to hear about the problem of your adapter.

For this kind of cases, it could be due to the different specification (mainly on the thickness) of mount surface of Black Magic bodies.

We observed that the thickness of mount of earlier productions for Black Magic cameras was slightly thinner than standard M43 cameras, our BM adapters were produced based on them to ensure the tightness between the adapter and camera;

However, the newly batch of BM cameras seem to be increased the thickness of their surface mount to intend to tightening the M43 lenses.
After observed that for a period, we made our BM adapters according to the dimension of the latest BM camera bodies.

For your case, we are willing to send 2 bottom mounts(one thinner & one thicker) to you for your replacement and spare, to make sure your camera and adapter able to connect properly.

Please kindly provide
1.) your shipping address
2.) the S/N# of your adapter

The parts will be sent out asap by normal air mail, it may take around 1-2 weeks.
If urgent, please consider to pay USD25 for shipping by FEDEX as well.

We will bear the shipping cost for you this time to avoid further delay and keep you waiting.

We look forward to your reply and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any question. Thank you.

Best regards
Daniel
GBI Limited
www.metabones.com

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

That's stellar service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Yes, yes it is. One just has to have patience, and give them a chance to get back to you. They are a small company, with a small admin staff to handle these inquiries. But they do respond, and deliver. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Gale

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm a bit surprised that BMD support didn't know about this or mention it in my various communications with them. They have been pretty responsive though otherwise.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

BM useually does not respond to theirs party equipment issues, other than to confirm they work, or do not work with their equipment. The leave Metabones Speed Booster issues to Metabones to respond to.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography