Blackmagic Studio 4K Sending No Signal via SDI Out

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

stanarthur

Blackmagic Studio 4K Sending No Signal via SDI Out

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Greetings. I have just received my second BMD camera, a Studio 4K. I already have an URSA Mini 4K EF that I have been using for over a year. I recently starting using it in my green screen TriCaster Mini studio without any issues, connected via the front SDI to TriCaster SDI input 2. The TriCaster input is set to auto-detect. At first, it didn't work until I discovered that a TriCaster project set to 1080p 30 fps is actually 29.97 fps. When I set the URSA Mini framerate to 29.97 fps and the front SDI to 1080p, it worked beautifully.

Not so much with the Studio 4K. The first thing I did right out of the box was to update the software from 2.0 to 4.4. Setting the camera to 1080p 29.97 fps and connecting to TriCaster Mini SDI input 1 does not work. I tried creating a new TriCaster project, making sure that it was 1080p 30 fps. Still nothing. I disconnected the URSA from input 2 and tried it in input 1. That worked, so I know there's nothing wrong with the TriCaster input 1. I tried a different SDI cable. Nothing. So I'm flummoxed. It appears as if there is no SDI output from the Studio 4K camera.

Have I missed any troubleshooting steps?

stanarthur

Re: Blackmagic Studio 4K Sending No Signal via SDI Out

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:21 pm

After speaking with BMD support, I'm returning the camera.

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Studio 4K Sending No Signal via SDI Out

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Good, but in the future, you need to read the camera updates, as 4.4 is for the Ursa Mini only, not the Studio Cameras. :roll: I doubt this caused your issue however. And as youmdiscovered, the camera and Tricaster project settings must match. Studio cameras are 1080p29.97 or 1080p59.94 for progressive North Ameerica 60Hz settings, in addition to interlaced settings and UHD settings for the 4K model.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started