Video Assist 4k clips with different frame rates

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Edward Carlson

Video Assist 4k clips with different frame rates

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

I have recorded several clips with different frame rates (60p, 59.94i, 29.97i, etc.) When I go into playback, it only shows 1 clip, seemingly the one that matches the last frame rate and resolution that I recorded. I can confirm the card has multiple clips on it recorded at different frame rates. Any idea about how to see the rest of the clips?

Xtreemtec

Re: Video Assist 4k clips with different frame rates

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:33 pm

You don't.. I also reported this issue.. I really wish BMD would make a file list so you can see the contents of the flashcard.

I wanted to use the VA as a test device with all sorts of resolutions and framerates.. But when i found out this i put the VA aside as small monitor and boughed an Atomos Shogun which is also 4K but has much more options.. :roll: :roll:

I'm really pro BMD.. But these little things makes gear sometimes not fit the job..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Edward Carlson

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 12:22 am

Darn. I had the same idea as you. I don't see why a firmware update couldn't add this feature.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 5:31 am

It won't, all of the Hyperdeck video recorders and rhrmcameras only,play,back,clips set for,the last resolution used when recording. Changing resolutions on these BM recorders/cameras requires a re-boot to have the chang take effect. A different recording/file management system would be required, with hardware to support it. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 am

Denny Smith wrote:It won't, all of the Hyperdeck video recorders and rhrmcameras only,play,back,clips set for,the last resolution used when recording. Changing resolutions on these BM recorders/cameras requires a re-boot to have the chang take effect. A different recording/file management system would be required, with hardware to support it. :roll:
Cheers

Ah well that solves that problem. I was so confused on a shoot as to why some of the files on my Micro weren't showing in playback but were there once I offloaded the clips. Seems like a fairly poor setup but at least now I know!!

Thank you.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes, welcome to the world of "Blackmagic" videography. The in camera/recorder playback is really designed to play back the last few clips recorded, to check your footage, and is not a real "playback" device per se, with recorded file menu lists, showing every clip recorded in the camera/recorder.

In most Pro on set workflows, camera operators do not need or use a full playback option on the camera, they in,y need to playback the last clip, or so, to check the shots before moving on, the data wranglers download and check the all the clips from the shoot, as they go along, on a computer, not in the camera.

Having playback menus in camera in a throwback to consumer and prosumer cameras (tape days) where the camera was used to playback or download the video to a computer. When digital media replaced type on these cameras, the playback menus were added, as many were still using the camera to playback or download their files.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started