Computer and Audio Mixer To Go With ATEM TV Studio HD?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dan Spada

Computer and Audio Mixer To Go With ATEM TV Studio HD?

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to start a modest television studio in a middle school for various projects with the kids. My ultimate goal is to be able to have a studio that has a couple of cameras and an audio mixer that kids can use for a morning news show, to create studio productions, and can use for podcasting. Seeing that it's a school, our funds are very limited, and I will likely kick in some of my own money to get this project done right. I'm comfortable knowing how to use the equipment, but I know very little with what's compatible with what. I've used the ATEM TV Studio in the past and would like to try to use that again.

If anyone can suggest a set-up that will work together, I would really appreciate it. Here is what I believe I need (please correct me if I'm wrong)
* high end PC to be able to run everything (I have no idea what kinds of specs it should have).
* Another another PC as well. From what I can remember, I thought we had 2 computers in the set-up we had at my old school
* An audio mixer
* 2 lavaliere mics
* 2 mics for podcasts
* 2 Cameras

I believe that's everything, but if I'm forgetting anything, or if I have anything unnecessary, I would really appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. Thank you so much!

Thomas Seewald

Re: Computer and Audio Mixer To Go With ATEM TV Studio HD?

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Dan,

a "high end PC to be able to run everything " is never wrong ;-)

For controlling the ATEM, a low end PC would do the job. The need of more power comes with additional tasks like recording or streaming.

I think, a second PC is a "must", when you work with graphics. I would configure them both for controlling the ATEM and the other tasks for failsafe.

I would suggest for any kind of communication between control room and studio. Maybe a tally/intercom System. For tally, you can use DIY-Solutions based on an Arduino microcontroller, some relais and LEDs. For intercom you can use any audio intercom. A complete lowcost tally/intercom is sold by Datavideo, called ITC-100. For 1.000 $/€ you get a main-station and four beltpacks with Headsets and red/green camera lights and 20m cable for every beltpack. I think, ist a fair Price. You will need a Blackmagic GPI/tally-adapter (400,-) or an own DIY-micorcontroller solution to connetct the tally/intercom to an ATEM. The DIY-Version costs less than 100,- and is exacly the same you will need only for tally.

In an environment, where cameras are connected by wire to the contol room, there is no need for wireless intercom ;-) So put the intercom cable parallel to the camera-cable.

When using Blackmagic studio cameras, tally and intercom is integrated.

What kind of camras, do you want to use ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Dan Spada

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:Hi Dan,

a "high end PC to be able to run everything " is never wrong ;-)

For controlling the ATEM, a low end PC would do the job. The need of more power comes with additional tasks like recording or streaming.

I think, a second PC is a "must", when you work with graphics. I would configure them both for controlling the ATEM and the other tasks for failsafe.

I would suggest for any kind of communication between control room and studio. Maybe a tally/intercom System. For tally, you can use DIY-Solutions based on an Arduino microcontroller, some relais and LEDs. For intercom you can use any audio intercom. A complete lowcost tally/intercom is sold by Datavideo, called ITC-100. For 1.000 $/€ you get a main-station and four beltpacks with Headsets and red/green camera lights and 20m cable for every beltpack. I think, ist a fair Price. You will need a Blackmagic GPI/tally-adapter (400,-) or an own DIY-micorcontroller solution to connetct the tally/intercom to an ATEM. The DIY-Version costs less than 100,- and is exacly the same you will need only for tally.

In an environment, where cameras are connected by wire to the contol room, there is no need for wireless intercom ;-) So put the intercom cable parallel to the camera-cable.

When using Blackmagic studio cameras, tally and intercom is integrated.

What kind of camras, do you want to use ?

Thanks Thomas. We're in a middle school, and unfortunately the space isn't big enough for an intercom system. Maybe when they build an addition, we may be able to get a bigger space, but for now we will all be in one relatively small room.

Do you have any recommendations on a specific computer, or at least what specs it should definitely have? I have basic knowledge of how to use the equipment, but I have no idea about RAM and processor speed and all that, and would hate to invest in something that won't work. Same thing for the audio mixer. I can remember when I got the behringer at my old school it didn't fit into the Black magic, and we had to buy an adapter.

For cameras I was thinking of eventually trying to get a grant to buy a couple Canon XA30. I had similar ones at my old school, and loved them. In the meantime I have a couple Sony Handicams that we can hook-up to it to get the kids working. Thank you again for your help and insight, I really appreciate it. I'm excited to bring this to the kids, but feel a bit over my head with getting it all set-up.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Dan, if you want a small video camera like the Canon XA’s you will be better off with a XA35, instead if the XA30, which only has an HDMI out. The XA35 features an HD/SD-SDI output that provides an uncompressed signal at 1920x1080 resolution with 4:2:2 color sampling and embedded audio and time code.

The ATEM HD (as well as the other ATEMs) do not like long run HDMI connections greater than 15-feet. So connecting the small XA30s via HDMI is going to be very limiting, and it’s micro HDMI connection is going to be a fail point also. The XA35’s SDI is a standard BNC, and SDI cable runs allow much longer runs, up to 100-feet in many cases, depending on the signal resolution. The XA35 is only about $400-500 more than the XA30 ($1495).

Another option, is to consider a camera designed for multi-camera live switching operations, like the BM Studio cameras. All have SDI outputs for connecting to the Atem, the larger models feature a nice large screen facing rearward for the operator (TV camera style), and come in HD or 4K resolutions. Pair a nice small zoom like the Panasonic Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 zoom lens and you have a nice basic camera setup for teaching a broadcast media program. The Micro Studio Camera is also very versatile, can be used for locked off high angle shots, or add a nice monitor like the a Small HD Focus, they can be used for studio cameras.

The BM Studio camera’s offer the advantage I’d being controlled by the ATEM, matching the camera outputs, and setting exposure to get matched outputs, for seamless video switching.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production