Play Back on Ursa Mini Pro

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

SureshRohin

Play Back on Ursa Mini Pro

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm

I just got my Ursa MINI Pro. Just shot with it few things Played it back checked it and came back to my office plugged into my system downloaded the file and played it back Davinci everything looked great. Few days later without formating the Card put it back in the Camera but non of my older shot would play back on the Camera which I needed it for reference Location. Frustrating. Called Balckmagic customer service more than 10days no reply. Also when I bought the Camera paid it in Full but they did not ship my PL mount along with it. Got the Pl Mount after alomst close to 2 months. I could not use it for the project I needed the camera. Again lost Money. Contacted Blackmagic Not even word of apology from that end.

Suresh ROHIN.
Canada.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Play Back on Ursa Mini Pro

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Our records show we've reached out to you a few times to discuss your troubles and have not seen a response. Please check your spam filters to see if the emails sent have been filtered off. On this particular matter, please refer to the last email sent.

As for your mount purchase, I'm not aware of how the individual reseller handles the sale of the accessories however, I do know they ship them as they become available. For further clarity on this, you'll want to speak with the reseller the mount was purchased from.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:38 am

If you changed the recording format since the last shoot, youmwill not see the previously recorded,clips, until you set the recording resolution to match what was used to record the first clips.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

SureshRohin

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Our records show we've reached out to you a few times to discuss your troubles and have not seen a response. Please check your spam filters to see if the emails sent have been filtered off. On this particular matter, please refer to the last email sent.

As for your mount purchase, I'm not aware of how the individual reseller handles the sale of the accessories however, I do know they ship them as they become available. For further clarity on this, you'll want to speak with the reseller the mount was purchased from.

Hello Tony,
If Black Magic cannot full fill the orders they should inform the resellers or everyone else about the Back Order issue. When we order itself we know where we stand. I was in badly need of a Camera with PL Mount and this deal was announced so I put my money into this though I had a great offer for other Cameras. Even then I could not Use the Camera for that ended up Renting one Lost money. I love Ursa results so went for it. But at the end your company let me down, even on your reply you are passing the Buck to the retailers. What would the retailer do if your office didnot supply things to him. Like taking our money and doesnot bother about it. Neither the retailer nor your office could not give us a proper reply as when they could send the Mount. That also put me in spot. As freelancers we all live hand to mouth, we need firm commitments. Thanks for your immediate response. Np question about the outstanding performance of the Camera.

SureshRohin

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Denny Smith wrote:If you changed the recording format since the last shoot, youmwill not see the previously recorded,clips, until you set the recording resolution to match what was used to record the first clips.
Cheers

Hi Denny,
I donot recall changing the settings. However will check it out. You brought out a valid point. Thanks.
However, Playback and Recording are two different protocol, I am not quite sure how could that be on Issue? Playback must kick in as per the Meta data embedded on the clip that is being played, it should not have any relevance with the clip being played. What happens if you want to play some variable speed shots needs to be played back on a Pinch. If it is I have not seen or noticed this issue with other Brand Cameras to my knowledge. Then Blackmagic needs to fix this Bug. I am sure they will do it if they could. That way Balckmagic is a good company listening to our needs.

SureshRohin

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 pm

SureshRohin wrote:
Tony Rivera wrote:Our records show we've reached out to you a few times to discuss your troubles and have not seen a response. Please check your spam filters to see if the emails sent have been filtered off. On this particular matter, please refer to the last email sent.

Hello Tony,
If Black Magic cannot full fill the orders they should inform the resellers or everyone else about the Back Order issue. When we order itself we know where we stand. I was in badly need of a Camera with PL Mount and this deal was announced so I put my money into this though I had a great offer for other Cameras. Even then I could not Use the Camera for that ended up Renting one Lost money. I love Ursa results so went for it. But at the end your company let me down, even on your reply you are passing the Buck to the retailers. What would the retailer do if your office didnot supply things to him. Like taking our money and doesnot bother about it. Neither the retailer nor your office could not give us a proper reply as when they could send the Mount. That also put me in spot. As freelancers we all live hand to mouth, we need firm commitments. Thanks for your immediate response. Np question about the outstanding performance of the Camera.

Hello Tony,
It is your Blackmagic office screwed up. Please read my whole post before just passing the blame on the re sellers. You guys didnot have them in stock at your head office. Your marketing team confirmed it when I contacted them. Re seller was helpless. In future please tell your people not to do this. I can ask the re seller post here as well. Then it will look good on you guys. It is not good blaming a re seller even it is his fault. It is a team work you are the manufacturer if your reseller is not competent enough then it is your office's fault to have incompetent seller. Above all your office did not have them, but pushed us to buy with a dead line when they have not had everything in stock. If you are in my shoe loosing $6000 on revenue I am sure you will be making more noise than I do. Also there was only one mail from your office. It was not as if I had several mails as follow up. they had my Phone number they could have called me. No phone calls . However Thanks for the reply.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:29 pm

SureshRohin wrote: You brought out a valid point. Thanks.
However, Playback and Recording are two different protocol, I am not quite sure how could that be on Issue? Playback must kick in as per the Meta data embedded on the clip that is being played, it should not have any relevance with the clip being played.

Should be true.. But Denny is exactly right!! The same applies to the videoassist and hyperdecks.. If you go in play mode and your "recording resolution or codec" is different then the recorded material you are screwwed!
Atomos deals with it differently as they do show the files.. So you can select the file you want to play and it will adapt the codec if needed..

We thoughed it was a good idea to use the VA as a test monitor / generator.. But once we recorded the content 1280x720 to the VA. Switched resolution to 1080 and recorded a different video we could not go and play the 720P files anymore... :roll: Which was very disapointing. So we now carry an atomos as test monitor / generator..
And BMD please make it possible to see the file's list on the card.. Instead of only playback and next / prev clip... You have the ability now in the Atem to do this from hyperdecks.. select the right clip and press play.. Do something the same for the VA's please!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 5:27 am

Yes, this is how all the BM cameras and video recorders work. Changingbresolution settings fircrsvthe camera/recorder into a reboot, matching the firmware setting to support/reflect the new setting change. It is not a bug, but rather a camera workflow BM uses.

Also, BM does not directly distribute its products, test is handled by another company, which uses a regional distribution system. When the zuM Promwas released, the PL and B4 mounts were listed as available in a few months, and were not available at the time of the camera release, and resellers knew this. With BM, you can not count in having an item untilmit is actually in distribution and at the resellers. To count on a future release date of a new item is unrealistic.

This (both how camera recodring/playback and product availablity) has been a topic of discussion here ever since the BMCC was released. The new cameras, including the Ursa Mini follow suit.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Vrachev

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello, guys.
I want to expand the topic.
I just purchased the Ursa Mini Pro and am loving the camera.
One thing I cannot find a way to have a cliplist or a thumbnail list of all the recorded media.
Is there a way that I cannot find? Because when you shoot a lot of clips and just clicking previous on playback is very very annoying.

Thanks for explanation.

Stefan
https://vimeo.com/stefanvrachev

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:37 pm

As discussed here.. It does not excist. Which is a pity as every other brand of camera does have this feature..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am

Yes, but remember, the Ursa, Ursa Mini and Pro were designed for professional workflow, the camera OP only reveiewed last shot clip, the. Moved in. Review if the entire series of clips was left to the data wrangler and post people on computers, so having a clip list or thumbnails of the entire card was unnecessary. Post production work flow goes back to film and tape days, most Cine type cameras follow the same workflow.

Also, when you change the shooting resolution on a BM Camera, it does a soft reboot, and the previous set of clips become unavailable to review until you return to the original resolution. So a clip list is still going to only show what was shot at the current camera setting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stefan Vrachev

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, but remember, the Ursa, Ursa Mini and Pro were designed for professional workflow, the camera OP only reveiewed last shot clip, the. Moved in. Review if the entire series of clips was left to the data wrangler and post people on computers, so having a clip list or thumbnails of the entire card was unnecessary. Post production work flow goes back to film and tape days, most Cine type cameras follow the same workflow.

Also, when you change the shooting resolution on a BM Camera, it does a soft reboot, and the previous set of clips become unavailable to review until you return to the original resolution. So a clip list is still going to only show what was shot at the current camera setting.
Cheers

Well, professional workflow and all, but this is poor excuse. I don't know if you noticed but "semi-pro"cameras such as ARRI ALEXA( which almost all of recent Oscar nominated for Cinematography films are shot with) or RED have the thumbnails/clip list feature. What you are talking about is partly true in general but it does not justify the lack of this functionality. Part of the digital workflow is precisely the flexibility to review instantly what you have shot.
https://vimeo.com/stefanvrachev

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 am

Yes, a very good point. I had this feature on the AF100, but rarely ever used it, mostly only reviewed the last clip shot as I went along. But adding this to the BM cameras may not be so easy, based on how the camera only plays back clips at the camera’s current resolution setting, and if yiu change the resolution setting the camera needs a soft reboot. So seeing all the clips in a card is something the camera in it’s current form can not do. I think eliminating features like this is one of the ways to keep the cost down on the BM cameras. The new EVA1 has clip review, but cost starts at $7K £6500 and an Arri or Red are even more £/$.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started