Synchronized playback with multiple HyperDeck Studio Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

KwanSheungchi

Synchronized playback with multiple HyperDeck Studio Mini

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 11:50 am

How to setup synchronized playback with multiple HyperDeck Studio Mini?

I brought 3 units and plan to use them for multi channel video display in art gallery. I can now play the ProRes video on each device and I have connected the Ref in and Ref out between them with good quality BNC cable already. The user manual do not have any description about how to start the sychronized playback, and the menu page has nothing related to playback settings as well.

Xtreemtec

Re: Synchronized playback with multiple HyperDeck Studio Min

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

Well...

syncronized playback from the units for a video wall is not ready i guess.. (They are still working on the software but who knows when it will be ready and in what way it will work..)

For now if you need it now i guess you need to make a AMX, Crestron, whatever controller with 422 ports on them.. And send the play commando to RS422 or ethernet..
With the Ref connected the framesync should be the same.. But the trick is to get them hit play at exact the same time..
Not sure if this is possible at the moment.. But if i should solve the problem i would look into the 422 port.. And send play with a Broadcast id.. This way they will get "play" at the exact time on the input..

With IP i'm not sure because packets can be delayed a fraction before they come in..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:25 pm

422 using a lance or dnf controller would be a way. Not all controllers support simultaneous machine control...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

KwanSheungchi

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the input.

Can I use a RS422 splitter/Y cable to connect one controller to start playback on multiple HyperDeck Studio Mini? For my purpose, I don't want to spend too much after invested on 3 HyperDeck Studio Mini already.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 pm

No it won't output the start trigger.. You need an external device to send out the start trigger to all hyperdecks..

If you only connect the TX of the sender to 3 RX lines of the hyperdecks you probabbly get away with that..

For control the cheapest way is an Arduino board and a 422 driver schield.. Total cost no more than $50.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TXDave

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 pm

I have 3 Hyperdeck Studios that I need to trigger simultaneously to start recording - each recording a different camera. I currently have a JLCooper VTC1 RS422 controller connected to a screw terminal strip and then from the terminal strip to each of the Hyperdecks 9-pin connector. I can START recording each deck just fine. After a while (30-45 minutes) of recording, I lose ALL control of the decks. Any suggestions as to what is going on??

Thanks
David

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Dont know the JLcooper hardware.. Does it also crash when connect 1:1 ? Otherwise go to JLCooper and ask what is going wrong.

Return to Getting Started